Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pompey buy 3 from Spurs

• 12-01-2006 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Portsmouth have completed the signings of Sean Davis, Pedro Mendes and Noe Pamarot from Tottenham.

Manager Harry Redknapp has been eager to sign players this month and the arrival of the Spurs trio will help boost Pompey's survival bid.

The trio struggled to establish themselves at White Hart Lane since Martin Jol took over at the club.

Mendes and Davis found their opportunities limited after Spurs brought Edgar Davids and Jermaine Jenas to the club in the summer, while full-back Pamarot has only featured twice this season.

The fee for the three players is undisclosed but is understood to be around £7million.

All three players will be available for Saturday's crucial game at home to Everton - along with new strikers Benjani Mwaruwari and Emmanuel Olisadebe.

Manager Harry Redknapp has wasted little time in dipping into new Pompey co-owner Alexandre Gaydamak's funds and said: "I'm delighted to get three quality players I really needed and wanted.

"The side desperately needed improving and I always knew I had to put a team together that will get us out of trouble and back on track."

Davis, capped 11 times for England at under-21 level, said: "I've had my injury problems at Spurs over he last few months and it's been a bit of a nightmare training with the reserves and not getting a look-in with the first team.

"It's just great that the manager here came in for me. I could have moved in pre-season but decided to stay on and fight for my place. It didn't seem to make much impact with the manager at Tottenham."

The former Fulham midfielder cost Tottenham £3million in July 2004 while Mendes, who won the Champions League with Porto the season before last, joined Spurs for £2million last summer.

It will be a second spell at Pompey for Pamarot. The first was in September 1999 when the French full-back was on loan for a brief spell but when it came to joining a Premiership club permanently he was snapped up for £1million by Tottenham two seasons ago.

Redknapp insists there may still be more players to come in before the end of the transfer window.

Gaydamak has promised around £10million to spend on new players and the manager said: "I'm still looking.

"I'm sure other clubs were interested in the players we've signed today. I've never signed three from one club before all at once but these are top Premiership players and will be a massive asset to us."

Mendes, 26, said: "I don't regret moving to England from Portugal. I had a good start in my career at Tottenham but obviously the last few months have not been very happy for me.

"It's a big challenge we are facing trying to lift Portsmouth up the table.

"But mainly I have made this move for my own happiness. I'm very proud that the manager here was so keen to sign me and I am going to do my best to help get the team out of trouble."

Redknapp has also been linked with Norwich goalkeeper Robert Green. However, Redknapp's own keeper, Jamie Ashdown, is making a good recovery from back trouble and the manager said: "Green belongs to Norwich and I have not even spoken to their manager Nigel Worthington about it.

"There is still a possibility Jamie could be ready for this weekend or at least the weekend after. We'll wait and see how it goes."

Not a bad fee for three reserve players. Who will Spurs buy in now? this also gives Kelly a chance in the first team now. Italian guy from Udinese? Pompey spending alot this Jan after the new Russians money

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Good signings for Pompey. They won't be in the relegation zone too much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Agh! Can't read that article! It says the word 'Redknapp' five times, let alone 'Portsmouth'.

Good signings for them, but I'm still hopeful for them to be relegated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Big Nelly wrote:

Not a bad fee for three reserve players. Who will Spurs buy in now? this also gives Kelly a chance in the first team now. Italian guy from Udinese? Pompey spending alot this Jan after the new Russians money

Read the recent signings/rumours thread.

Kelly wants out as he's not getting a look in, and is rumoured to be on his way to West Ham for 500k.

Iaquinta deal is "imminent" I'm told.

Spurs want Romeo Castelan from Feyenoord (though the MGP rumour refuses to die down) and Wayne Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Yep, very good signings for the likes of Pompey. If they could land Brown and Gardner as well, they'd have no problem avoiding relegation. And they could change their name to Portsmouth Hotspurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Agh! Can't read that article! It says the word 'Redknapp' five times, let alone 'Portsmouth'.

Good signings for them, but I'm still hopeful for them to be relegated.

Not a hope of them being relegated now. Harry was getting them a few decent results even before all these signings.

I'm looking forward to seeing how their new strikers perform too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Iaquinta deal is "imminent" I'm told.

To Spurs?

He looks like a decent enough player for Udinese in the CL this season. Robbie and himself would make a good partnership up front if Robbie can keep up his current form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

7m!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Haha good old harry is at it again.. You have to admire his wheeling and dealing, although 7m does seem alot for those players. All the same davis and mendes will do well in centre of park for them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Yep, very good signings for the likes of Pompey. If they could land Brown and Gardner as well, they'd have no problem avoiding relegation. And they could change their name to Portsmouth Hotspurs.

i wonder was harry want a crap polish centre forward as well.... :)

im gald we got rid of those three to be honest. its getting hard to lure anyone into the squad due to the sheer size of it!
    we nearly had to have 10 midfielders injured for davis to get a game.

although, i would have preferred to keep mendes and lose brown, but hey, im sure big martin knows more about his squad than i do!

although, i would have preferred to keep mendes and lose brown, but hey, im sure big martin knows more about his squad than i do!

Seems his face just didn't fit WWM, didn't even make the bench for Leicester (although with a move on the cards probably best not)

With the current midfield order of merit reading something like this:

Carrick
    Davids
    Jenas
    Tainio
    Lennon
    Routledge

and a new LW supposed to be on the way, Brown/Mendes have to settle for 8th in line to a place in the midfield 4. Of the two, Brown is a cheaper option and won't raise a ruckus doing so. Best all round.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

In Lennon and Routledge they have two of best young wingers around..

I have Tainio in Fantasy team but was thinking of swapping him for Lennon, think Lennon is going to get a run in the team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

imo harry just picked up a bargain for 7mil. although i have only seen him a few times i thought mendes was a very good player. spurs fans feel free to tell me im wrong.

davis was always a player with huge potential and imo given 30 games a season can live up to his potential. these are good signings for a team of pompeys current stature.

as for pamarot, i cant remember seeing him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Sorry to see Mendes go, but we'll always remember him for *that* goal...

As for the other two, i thought it was good of Jol to get rid of, but would have much preferred Brown to go instead of Pedro. Wondering if Jol is gonna keep his word, when he said we werent gonna buy any players in this window...?

imo harry just picked up a bargain for 7mil. although i have only seen him a few times i thought mendes was a very good player. spurs fans feel free to tell me im wrong.

You're not wrong. Lovely footballer, very cultured but a hard worker nonetheless who can tackle, get box to box and pass. He was valued at £2m in a swap deal which saw Helder Postiga go the other way and Spurs get £3m cash.

TBH, we did well to get as much as we did. The fee was reported as £7.5m, and of that I'd say £3.5m was for Mendes, £2.5 for Davis, and £1.5 for Pamarot. Good business for squad players.
    davis was always a player with huge potential and imo given 30 games a season can live up to his potential. these are good signings for a team of pompeys current stature.

Davis is a gamble IMO. He's had a lot of injuries in his time at Spurs (and the one thing we've managed to do during the last few years is address the medical sitaution at WHL) so I doubt Pompey will get that many games out of him. Still, a talented player nonetheless.
    as for pamarot, i cant remember seeing him play.

Reasonable RB when he got a run of games, but has a tendancy to allow his concetration to slip. Ideal Del Boy signing TBH.

I've heard that Mendes was reported as saying that he didn't actually want to leave Spurs, but that the money he was offered was too good to turn down for a place in the Spurs stiffs. All those roubles must be burning a hole in Arry's pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I can't say I'm disappointed to see these guys go. I liked all of them, but in fairness where when were the going to get a game. Still, Pamarot could've been cover for CB if injurys mounted so I'm a little surprised at that one.

Hopefully this transfer will free up enough cash to get a proper striker (instead of that geebag Rasiak) and left winger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think id be happier to sell defore and radziak, and buy a great big centre forward.
    someone that can play with keane, and with mido. that way all three can be kept happy playing a rotation system. at the moment, one striker is always going to be unhappy, and id rather keane was kept.

at the moment, im cant see what our best team is. while i think we need to get some better players, im a little at a loss at the moment to figure out who they are!

i'd love us to get a great elft winger. i think lennon is a super right winger, and i rate him higher than routledge. its just a shame that he was playing so well before he broke his foot becuase since he has come back, he really hasnt been able to perform at all.

and if we play a left winger, do we drop davids? i also rate tainio higher than i do jenus, but while they all play lovely football, we just dont have anyone that can get to the by line and cross, with the exception of lennon.

how and ever, im sure big martin knows better than i :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

TBH, we did well to get as much as we did. The fee was reported as £7.5m, and of that I'd say £3.5m was for Mendes, £2.5 for Davis, and £1.5 for Pamarot. Good business for squad players.

when you break it down like that its about right. its just the thought of getting three players for 7mil these days. i remember the good old days when threebob trupence would get you a centre forward, centre back and a kettle to make tea with during training, ah yes, those were the days.

Advertisement