Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banend from for sale for requesting a ticket

Options
  • 12-01-2006 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873594

there's the thread in question.

These tickets cannot be bought and were given on a 1st come 1st server basis. Surely this should be my choice as to whether i want to pay money to go or not. I'm not encouraging touting and i'm not dealing off thread as it's my post so therefore someone replying to it by pm makes it easier for me as a first point of contact.

At his discretion he seemed to overlook a similar style thread and let the user off with a warning:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873889

He somehow equates "any reasonable price" to €0.

I thought off thread dealing was pming somebody in order to hijack a sale. Fair enough in the for sale section, but this is the wanted section...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Jeez, only two weeks? Lemming must be going soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ianmc38 wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873594

there's the thread in question.

These tickets cannot be bought and were given on a 1st come 1st server basis. Surely this should be my choice as to whether i want to pay money to go or not. I'm not encouraging touting and i'm not dealing off thread as it's my post so therefore someone replying to it by pm makes it easier for me as a first point of contact.

At his discretion he seemed to overlook a similar style thread and let the user off with a warning:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873889

He somehow equates "any reasonable price" to €0.

I thought off thread dealing was pming somebody in order to hijack a sale. Fair enough in the for sale section, but this is the wanted section...

You were encouraging touting...you were offering 20 euro for something that costs zero. lucky it was only 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I'm not encouraging touting. It costs nothing and tickets are extremely hard to come by. It's cash out of my own pocket, so i'm prepared to spend €20 of my own money for this once off opportunity to see Noam Chomsky.

The whole thing is just ridiculous tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If people start paying money for tickets like these, then in future touts will snap them all up instead of them being made freely available to genuinely interested people.

So what's the difference between me offering someone 300 euro for a ticket to the ireland v Wales rugby international. It only costs 20 euro but the tickets are extremely hard to come by. It's cash out of my own pocket, so I'm prepared to spend €300 of my own money for this once off opportunity to see a Grand Slam winning Wales.

Your whole argument is ridiculous tbh

• Advertisement

Touting is when a seller offers tickets at an extortionate price. A tout would post in the for sale section. I'm posting in wanted, saying i'm prepared to pay x euro to see this. people should be allowed spend their money as they please. If someone wants to say i'll pay €x for this, then so be it. We all earn our own money and shouldn't have the moderators of a forum dictate how we choose to spend it.

I agree that people shouldn't be allowed advertise goods for sale at anything more than cost price, but if a potential buyer wants to pay more than the going rate for an item then so be it. That's his choice. It's not encouraging anyone to advertise tickets for more than cost price,a s that's banned in the charter and all potential sellers are aware of this and therefore, will refrain from doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Surely someone selling a free ticket for €20 is touting. It's like, a million percent more expensive than being free, yeah? :v:

stevenmu wrote:
    If people start paying money for tickets like these, then in future touts will snap them all up instead of them being made freely available to genuinely interested people.

Somehow i don't think Amnesty International are going to give all their tickets to touts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

ianmc38 wrote:
    Touting is when a seller offers tickets at an extortionate price. A tout would post in the for sale section. I'm posting in wanted, saying i'm prepared to pay x euro to see this. people should be allowed spend their money as they please. If someone wants to say i'll pay €x for this, then so be it. We all earn our own money and shouldn't have the moderators of a forum dictate how we choose to spend it.

I agree that people shouldn't be allowed advertise goods for sale at anything more than cost price, but if a potential buyer wants to pay more than the going rate for an item then so be it. That's his choice. It's not encouraging anyone to advertise tickets for more than cost price,a s that's abnned in the charter and all potential sellers are aware of this and therefore, will refrain from doing it.

In fairness that is a valid point. He was offering his own money willingly and on a small scale in return for a ticket, as opposed to demanding outrageous prices for a ticket....

Still though, only two weeks, could be worse. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ianmc38 wrote:
    Somehow i don't think Amnesty International are going to give all their tickets to touts.
    What makes you think that ticketmaster or the FAI or IRFU do either ? They don't walk up and say "Hello I'm a tout, I'd like to buy all your tickets please" :v: I don't know how they do it, but whatever systems they have they always manage to get around the rules of limited tickets per customer in place and get signifigant numbers of tickets for every concert/game.

edit: they probably bribe people somewhere along the ticketing chain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Nah, the rules state if the seller or buyer incite touting then it's a ban. Unless it's just extra for postage costs. And €20 isn't postage costs.
    It's fairly simple really.

I could offer Lemming €20 to extend your ban if you'd like?? He'd probably do it for free though

Besides i'm really going to enjoy going to the talk....

stevenmu wrote:
    What makes you think that ticketmaster or the FAI or IRFU do either ? They don't walk up and say "Hello I'm a tout, I'd like to buy all your tickets please" :v: I don't know how they do it, but whatever systems they have they always manage to get around the rules of limited tickets per customer in place and get signifigant numbers of tickets for every concert/game.

edit: they probably bribe people somewhere along the ticketing chain

Because Amnesty allocate one ticket per member and obviously priority on tickets is given to people who've paid the annual membership fee. Maybe we'll see a newspaper headline in the not too distant future that reads "Ticket touts make up majority of Amnesty International members". That way they can get a monopoly on the tickets for Amnesty gigs and flog them on for whatever price they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Turn the tables round...
    Say I have a ticket, but can't go.
    I post on FS Tickets offering it for €20 = Instant bannage.

The whole supply and demand theory doesnt operate here on boards in relation to tickets.
    The same was in operation for O2 in the Park etc..
    Best you look elsewhere if you're willing to put a price on it.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Besides i'm really going to enjoy going to the talk....

And so you should, he's an excellent public speaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Ahhh look man, technically you were touting. You've been here a year now, you should know how it goes. The FS mods have a poxy task to do and I couldn't blame them for reacting that way. If you invite sales and offer more than face value, it's classed as touting here. It cuts out a lot of the crap that would make the FS boards useless if it weren't so. Two weeks is nothing, it'll be over and done in no time.

whiskeyman wrote:
    Turn the tables round...
    Say I have a ticket, but can't go.
    I post on FS Tickets offering it for €20 = Instant bannage.

The whole supply and demand theory doesnt operate here on boards in relation to tickets.
    The same was in operation for O2 in the Park etc..
    Best you look elsewhere if you're willing to put a price on it.

Big difference, see reasons outlined above, ie. i'm willing to pay and noone is posting in the for sale section.

Also note the thread i've linked to where someone else has done the same and the moderator hasn't banned them, even though we've both done the exact same thing.

Can i please edit my post.

Here's my new one:

"Chomsky ticket wanted. Can't collect. WIlling to pay the €20 cost for couriered delivery to D16."

Doctor J wrote:
    Ahhh look man, technically you were touting. You've been here a year now, you should know how it goes. The FS mods have a poxy task to do and I couldn't blame them for reacting that way. If you invite sales and offer more than face value, it's classed as touting here. It cuts out a lot of the crap that would make the FS boards useless if it weren't so. Two weeks is nothing, it'll be over and done in no time.

OK, i guess you're right. Rules are rules even if they're applied in different ways to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ianmc38 wrote:
    Can i please edit my post.

Here's my new one:

"Chomsky ticket wanted. Can't collect. WIlling to pay the €20 cost for couriered delivery to D16."
    That won't work.

• Advertisement

Anyway, you were banned for two things. Off thread dealing (PM me), and encouraging touting. The other user you speak of did not specify a price and as such Lemming stated
    Lemming wrote:
    Any reasonable price = free
    stating what he would accept/see as reasonable. He pre-emptively discouraged touting on that thread.
    You, on the other hand quoted a price you were willing to pay (which seemed above and beyond postage costs), thereby encouraging touting.

So you can't genuinely complain that the touting rule was applied differently for you and someone else in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BTW,
    Amnesty International is filming the lecture and will make it available in due course
    from here

ok ,so you won't get the see him "live", but I doubt it'll make much of a difference...

WizZard wrote:
    Anyway, you were banned for two things. Off thread dealing (PM me), and encouraging touting. The other user you speak of did not specify a price and as such Lemming stated stating what he would accept/see as reasonable. He pre-emptively discouraged touting on that thread.
    You, on the other hand quoted a price you were willing to pay (which seemed above and beyond postage costs), thereby encouraging touting.

So you can't genuinely complain that the touting rule was applied differently for you and someone else in this case.

Yes, the average man's interpretation of "any reasonable price" is of course free. How could anyone think differently? I think it's a reasonable assumption that €0 is exactly what the OP meant by any reaosnable price. Don't think there's any uncertainty on that.

whiskeyman wrote:
    BTW,
    from here

ok ,so you won't get the see him "live", but I doubt it'll make much of a difference...

Yes it will. Seeing him live and hearing him live are two totally different experiences and i wouldn't mind asking hima question or two either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

ianmc38 wrote:
    I agree that people shouldn't be allowed advertise goods for sale at anything more than cost price, but if a potential buyer wants to pay more than the going rate for an item then so be it. That's his choice. It's not encouraging anyone to advertise tickets for more than cost price,a s that's banned in the charter and all potential sellers are aware of this and therefore, will refrain from doing it.

Posters who state they are willing to pay over face value do encourage touting, as it provides touts an easy outlet to which they can offload tickets to sold-out events. It would also convince more and more people to make a quick buck out of their tickets, which would harm the good nature of boards.

There's nothing worse than having to suck up to a tout. No one wants to see that kind of action here.

I know you're situation was rather tame, and unassociated with gigs that touts would take advantage of (and touts in general.) But the rules stand I suppose. You're just going to have to try elsewhere.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Yes, the average man's interpretation of "any reasonable price" is of course free. How could anyone think differently? I think it's a reasonable assumption that €0 is exactly what the OP meant by any reaosnable price. Don't think there's any uncertainty on that.
    I wasn't talking about an average man, I was talking about Lemming. And at this stage of your boards.ie life, you should know that what a mod says, goes. Especially in relation to that modding hell of FS...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ianmc38 wrote:
    people should be allowed spend their money as they please
    You are. Just not on this forum site. Go out into the street where there are fewer rules and offer whoever the devil you like all the money you like for any ticket you please while that's still legal. Coming up with wacky ways to evade the rule isn't going to endear you to anyone either - you've been here quite long enough that you know where the forum charter is to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ianmc38 wrote:
    I'm not encouraging touting. It costs nothing and tickets are extremely hard to come by.
    LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Doctor J wrote:
    Surely someone selling a free ticket for €20 is touting. It's like, a million percent more expensive than being free, yeah? :v:

Actually it's Undetermined% more expensive than being free

20/0 * 100/1

oh yeah...:v:

• Advertisement

Talliesin wrote:
    Originally Posted by ianmc38
    I'm not encouraging touting. It costs nothing and tickets are extremely hard to come by.

LOL.

Lol, you have to admit, a convincing argument.

Advertisement