Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banend from for sale for requesting a ticket

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ianmc38 wrote:
    I'm not encouraging touting. It costs nothing and tickets are extremely hard to come by. It's cash out of my own pocket, so i'm prepared to spend €20 of my own money for this once off opportunity to see Noam Chomsky.

The whole thing is just ridiculous tbh.

What part of that is not encouraging touting?

If anyone replied to your post they would be banned for a touting a ticket for more than the sale value (considering the sale value was €0). Just because you are on the other side of the exchange doesn't matter.

Same thing applied for everything like this on Boards.ie.

If you request someone tells you where to download the latest episode of Lost, if you ask request someone tell you where you can buy illegal DVDs or Games etc you are as banned as anyone who is foolish enough to reply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Wicknight wrote:
    What part of that is not encouraging touting?

If anyone replied to your post they would be banned for a touting a ticket for more than the sale value (considering the sale value was €0). Just because you are on the other side of the exchange doesn't matter.

Same thing applied for everything like this on Boards.ie.

If you request someone tells you where to download the latest episode of Lost, if you ask request someone tell you where you can buy illegal DVDs or Games etc you are as banned as anyone who is foolish enough to reply to you.

Thanks for that valuable input.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

ianmc38 wrote:
    Thanks for that valuable input.
    Sarcasm and smarm are the best ways for overturning a mod's decision.

You go girl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

ianmc38 wrote:
    Yes it will. Seeing him live and hearing him live are two totally different experiences and i wouldn't mind asking hima question or two either.

I'm gonna just jump right in here and say "Tough $hit". I've been a member of Amnesty for about 8 years - I got a ticket because I put my name down two months ago. You said you joined too late which means you joined within the last 4 weeks - anyone with their name down before 11/12/05 got a ticket afaik - [aside]was that just to get a ticket?[/aside]. The tickets weren't allocated on a length of service basis - is was on a first come-first served basis in putting your name down (as a member).

Also, your sense of injustice is unwarranted. I gave you a little warning about paying more than the face value and you actually replied saying "I know they were free, but I'm very keen on going and would pay €20" - that's the post I reported and Lemming was very quick off the mark I have to say. The other poster got a friendly warning too and he hasn't replied yet so maybe he was just ignorant of the rules. Lemming has given the benefit of the doubt there - whereas you removed all doubt with your reply to my post. If I was in your position I would accept a 2 week ban as lenient and just shut my yap before you enourage a permanent ban from Lemming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ianmc38 wrote:
    Lol, you have to admit, a convincing argument.
    I wasn't trying to make an argument of any sort, just pointing out that your saying you weren't encouraging touting and then pretty much defining touting in your explanation of what you were doing is pretty funny.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    Also, your sense of injustice is unwarranted. I gave you a little warning about paying more than the face value and you actually replied saying "I know they were free, but I'm very keen on going and would pay €20" - that's the post I reported and Lemming was very quick off the mark I have to say. The other poster got a friendly warning too and he hasn't replied yet so maybe he was just ignorant of the rules. Lemming has given the benefit of the doubt there - whereas you removed all doubt with your reply to my post. If I was in your position I would accept a 2 week ban as lenient and just shut my yap before you enourage a permanent ban from Lemming.

Thanks for the warning. I'm glad to see that you're doing your job as a moderator well. Oh wait, just noticed you're not a moderator. So therefore, your comments carry as much weight as the words of a sack of <insert word here> Perhaps you should consider setting up your own vigilante group as well. That way you can patrol both the boards forums and the streets to ensure that everyone is abiding by the rules. I'd join up, but unfortunately, i don't have the time to sift through and report other people posts that i deem inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Dig up, not down. Up!

Talliesin wrote:
    I wasn't trying to make an argument of any sort, just pointing out that your saying you weren't encouraging touting and then pretty much defining touting in your explanation of what you were doing is pretty funny.

I know man, i was laughing at what you quoted because my argument was so bad. Ban was justified based on the charter...

WizZard wrote:
    Sarcasm and smarm are the best ways for overturning a mod's decision.

You go girl!

Thanks Wizz, that's what i thought too.

WizZard wrote:
    Dig up, not down. Up!

Lol, probably good advice. Maybe i'll just shut up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ianmc was banned first and foremost for inviting off-thread dealing. The encouraging touting was just icing on the cake.

As for the other thread, the reason I didn't ban was due to post-count and the fact that no actual offers had been made. You have a far higher post count and quite frankly, should know better at this stage.

That is all.

Lemming wrote:
    ianmc was banned first and foremost for inviting off-thread dealing. The encouraging touting was just icing on the cake.

As for the other thread, the reason I didn't ban was due to post-count and the fact that no actual offers had been made. You have a far higher post count and quite frankly, should know better at this stage.

That is all.

I know Lemming, based on the charter i was correctly banned so fully accepted. I was just a little p'd off at the time, but then i reread the charter and noticed all the large underlined writing and thought oh whoops, so it is a bannable offence.

ianmc38 wrote:
    Thanks for the warning. I'm glad to see that you're doing your job as a moderator well. Oh wait, just noticed you're not a moderator.
    Correct I'm not - I was pointing out in a friendly way that over face value isn't allowed on the Tickets forum. When you decided to ignore that advice I reported the post to a moderator who then took action. Nobody likes touts and mods can't be online every minute of every day - that's what the report post button is for.

If you do manage to get a ticket we can discuss it over a pint in Crowe's afterwards.

Macros42 wrote:
    Correct I'm not - I was pointing out in a friendly way that over face value isn't allowed on the Tickets forum. When you decided to ignore that advice I reported the post to a moderator who then took action. Nobody likes touts and mods can't be online every minute of every day - that's what the report post button is for.

If you do manage to get a ticket we can discuss it over a pint in Crowe's afterwards.

OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

ianmc38 wrote:
    Thanks for the warning. I'm glad to see that you're doing your job as a moderator well. Oh wait, just noticed you're not a moderator. So therefore, your comments carry as much weight as the words of a sack of <insert word here> Perhaps you should consider setting up your own vigilante group as well. That way you can patrol both the boards forums and the streets to ensure that everyone is abiding by the rules. I'd join up, but unfortunately, i don't have the time to sift through and report other people posts that i deem inappropriate.
    This is a community board. The users in many ways moderate the community. And moderators urge the users to report posts deemed unacceptable or against the community.

I think you're right, you should just shut up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

ianmc38: Just keep asking yourself "What would Chomsky do?"

He certainly wouldn't eschew the views of a valued member of our online community because he isn't a 'moderator'. One may argue that he would be vehemently outspoken against listening exclusively to those in a slightly more powerful position, even if it is only an imaginary power granted by imaginary people to do a fairly unimportant imaginary job.

Shabadu wrote:

He certainly wouldn't eschew the views of a valued member of our online community because he isn't a 'moderator'. One may argue that he would be vehemently outspoken against listening exclusively to those in a slightly more powerful position, even if it is only an imaginary power granted by imaginary people to do a fairly unimportant imaginary job.

pwned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Now THAT was a smack-down :D

Macros42 wrote:
    pwned :D

<shudder>

Shabadu wrote:

Yeah too true. Kinda reminds me of Dawsons Creek.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Macros42 wrote:

Crowe's eh, I was on the door for the last Australian game. It's surprising how similar real-life moderating is to online moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

ianmc38 wrote:
    Yeah too true. Kinda reminds me of Dawsons Creek.
    ¿o_O?

Advertisement