Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry Recipes

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i didnt realise there were so many other ingredients in it actually...
    saying that i never use tikka masala

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

adonis wrote: »
    is garam masala not a blend of spices?
    i have looked for garam masala in dunnes and tesco but they don't seem to stock it, any idea where i can buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Most asian supermarkets would stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

If you're interested in making curries similar to those you'd get in a UK or Irish Indian restaurant - look here: http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com/curryforum/

A certain amount of their recipes are free, but to get access to the entire site it's (I think) £8 a year. I've been trying to get that authentic restaurant (as opposed to just authentic) taste for about 30 years now, and that site comes as close as I've managed. Start with the Melting Base 3 recipe, and work on from there.

They also have a section which includes Chinese curries (a totally different taste and dish, really).

A word of warning - the recipes on that site are not for the 'use a jar of paste' people - they're for those who will trouble themselves to make their own curry masala, and who will worry about whether they're using the right brand of spice :) You can achieve truly great results though - but it takes a sort of obsession to be that bothered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Some time ago i was a curry fan for a short time.
    I like two soups. I'm sure you're familiar with Curry Carrot Soup:
    Ingredients

* Onion
    * curry powder
    * chopped carrots
    * vegetable stock
    * oil for frying

Method

1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
    2. Saute onion until tender and translucent.
    3. Stir in the curry powder.
    4. Add the chopped carrots, and stir until the carrots are coated.
    5. Pour in the vegetable broth, and simmer until the carrots are soft, about 20 minutes.
    6. Transfer the carrots and broth to a blender, and puree until smooth.
    7. Pour back into the pot, and thin with water to your preferred consistency.

You might not know Thai Curry Soup by Hiliary Wolesley. It's very tasty.
    Preparation Time: 5 minutes
    Cooking TIme: 20-25 minutes
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredient

* 455 g skinless, boneless chicken thighs - cut into 1 inch cubes
    * 15 ml dark soy sauce
    * 8 g all-purpose flour
    * 30 ml cooking oil
    * 30 g green curry paste
    * 2 green onions with tops, chopped
    * 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
    * 2 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    * 475 ml coconut milk
    * 15 ml fish sauce
    * 15 ml dark soy sauce
    * 25 g white sugar
    * 25 g coriander leaves, for garnish

Method

1. Toss chicken first in 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, then in the flour, coating pieces evenly. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken in the skillet, cook and stir chicken until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken.

2. Reduce heat to medium and stir in curry paste. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant, then stir in green onions, garlic, and ginger; cook an additional 2 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, stirring to coat with the curry mixture. Stir the coconut milk, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and sugar into the chicken-curry mixture.

3. Allow to simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender. Serve garnished with coriander leaves.

Source: Recipe for Fabulously Fragrant Thai Curry By Hiliary Wolesley

I hope you'll like it:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Darkginger wrote: »
    A word of warning - the recipes on that site are not for the 'use a jar of paste' people - they're for those who will trouble themselves to make their own curry masala, and who will worry about whether they're using the right brand of spice :) You can achieve truly great results though - but it takes a sort of obsession to be that bothered!

+1 Darkginger. I find budget constraints stop me from making 'real' curries because I would want to cook curry twice monthly. Spices need to be fresh and in use in my view to really justify the cost. Also yes the brand of spice can vary enormously too. So its Pataks paste for me....:o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

curries are cheap as chips to make tbh, particularly when u make them in bulk. make a big batch of curry base and freeze it in portions so you can easily make a curry anytime. store your spices in kilner jars and they keep well for months. the cost really should not be an issue, the amount of work involved is though.

ive made a lot of the recipes on the secret curry recipes site mentioned by Darkginger. the melting base is good alright, my own preferred recipe is similar. the resturant base has issues though unfortunately.

I like the idea of making curry base and freezing.

That said. I came across a lamb curry (Rachel Allen home cooking, she irritates me but the curry looked mouth watering) with, green cardonom pod, whole clove, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, roasted off lightly in dry pan & crushed with pestal & mortar (or rolling pin & food bag :)), also fresh chopped ginger, garlic and red chillie was added. I'm going to try this one out if its a hit at home, will cook supply for freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Green Saffron spices mixes are streets ahead of any other mix I've tasted and come with a detailed recipe on their website. The madras is particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Sri Lankan Fish Curry by Rick Stein

Ingredients
    4 x 225g Salmon Steaks
    1 large onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    8 fresh curry leaves
    2 small pieces rampe (optional)
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1 x quantity Sri Lankan curry powder
    2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
    85ml tamarind water
    1 x 400ml tin coconut milk

Steamed Rice, to serve

Sri Lankan Curry powder - Take 2 1/2 tabsps of coriander seeds, 1tbsp of cumin seeds, 1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, pinch of fenugreek seeds, a 1 inch cinnamon stick, 3 cloves, 2 green cardomom pods and 6 black peppercorns and grind them in a grinder or pestle and mortar until you have a fine powder.

Tamarind water - take a tangerine sized piece of tamarind pulp and add to 150ml of warm water. Work the paste with your fingers to break it down. The water will turn dark. Strain the liquid. It will keep in the fridge for 24hrs.

Heat some veg oil in a pan and add your onion, garlic, curry leaves and rampe and fry for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden and softened.

Add the turmeric, chilli powder and 2 tbsp of chilli powder. Fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tamarind water, coconut milk and 1 tbsp of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes.

Add the salmon steaks to the pan and spoon some sauce over the top of them. Simmer gently for 5 minutes. Set aside for 30 minutes. The fish should be cooked through. Reheat until warmed through.

picture.php?albumid=1769&pictureid=10253

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Green Saffron spices mixes are streets ahead of any other mix I've tasted and come with a detailed recipe on their website. The madras is particularly good.

'Green Saffron' where can you get this brand? Thanks :)

trackguy wrote: »
    Sri Lankan Fish Curry by Rick Stein

I recorded 'Saturday Kitchen Best Bites' this morning and the Rick Stein clip they featured was your fish curry. :) That looks tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

nesbitt wrote: »
    Itsdacraic wrote: »

'Green Saffron' where can you get this brand? Thanks :)

Can't post a link from the phone but if you google "green saffron spices" it should be the first result.

I usually pick them up at Limericks milk Market where they sometimes have a stall.

Advertisement