Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

takeaway chips/fries

• 12-01-2006 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what kind of chips a takeaway uses. Some guy on TodayFM said that chippers use a certain brand/type of chip and I missed what he said. Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I think it's records. Not sure though. I know that alot of chippers use an ingredient in the oil to help the chips brown.

I find alot of chipper chips seem like they have been cooked on too low a temperature. Soft, pale and soggy. Maybe that's why they use the browning stuff.

"Proper" old fashioned chips (a la Belgique) should be cooked halfway then let cool. Don't over cook because they continue to go soft while cooling. When you want to eat them you just fry them on a high heat. This is also a much easier way to cook lots at the same time as they only need a few seconds in the oil.

Other chip points:
    * I find chips to be a food that benefits alot from being let cool a little.
    * Vinegar in chippers isn't actually vinegar and certainly isn't what you buy in the supermarkets. I buy a bottle from my local chipper. One told me that it's brewers condiment.
    * Which do you put on first, the salt or the vinegar? If you put it on first I find the vinegar just washes the salt away and you end up puting more on!!

Chips. Is there anything they can't do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Yep... I believe it's Records they use most. A good yellow spud with lots of starch.

My local chippy, The Mona Lisa in Crumlin, does a lovely chip; not soggy or pale at all.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

boneless wrote:
    Yep... I believe it's Records they use most. A good yellow spud with lots of starch.

My local chippy, The Mona Lisa in Crumlin, does a lovely chip; not soggy or pale at all.

I shant be going there so... I love my chips soggy and pale.. and dripping in vinigar :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

xzanti wrote:
    I shant be going there so... I love my chips soggy and pale.. and dripping in vinigar :p
    you're making me want chips now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I want chips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

have to be wrapped tightly so that when you get home they're all mush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

MargeS wrote:
    Does anyone know what kind of chips a takeaway uses. Some guy on TodayFM said that chippers use a certain brand/type of chip and I missed what he said. Anyone know?
    maris pipers is the ones most commonly used:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Tree wrote:
    have to be wrapped tightly so that when you get home they're all mush
    yeah - its all about the chips sweating in the bag. if you put your home made chips in a brown/waxed paper bag you can get the same effect.

Advertisement