Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life On Mars

• 12-01-2006 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

watcha think ?

"The Sweeney" meets "Doctor Who"

personally I enjoyed it. It's no war-and-peace, hell it's no generation game, nor is it ruuuunnnnaround

looking forward to the second episode

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I thought it was ok - great period feel to it, it must be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I thought this was quite good. Much better than how the premise made it sound. Hopefully they can keep up the intrique throughout the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

life on mars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

BBC1 TV Monday night about 9 or 9:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

link/explanation please :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Good show alright and it creates a nice mood for the 70s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lifeonmars/

Like I say it's an awful premise but they carry it off with considerable wit and aplomb (at least in the first episode).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pretty good, the first episode is always a pain, having to set up the shows main concepts. Exellent period detail. Every surviving car from the late 60s early 70s must have drafted in! The huge changes in police procedure was well conveyed.

Oh yeah exellent music I spotted music by Cream, The Who, Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult.

Mike.

Not to mention David Bowie!

Doh! :o

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Enjoying this great sondtrack. Very un-pc which is always a bonus. Fair play to the beeb nice to see something new to counter the slew of American drama.

Music was proper back then! Last nights was proberly the best so far I'd sooner our hero was lost to the 70s for good then we would'nt have the psycho-babble stuff. Though seeing the test card girl come to life was amusing.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I only heard about this the other day so I "acquired" the first three episodes today. Watched the first already tonight and I have to say I quite enjoed it. A bit strange at first as I had no idea what it was about or what was about to happen. Probably better that I didn't know. I might watch episode two now before bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

shabbyroad wrote:
    watcha think ?

"The Sweeney" meets "Doctor Who"

...and I bet that's exactly how it was pitched to the BBC.

Borning and formulaic, but with slick enough production values to make it watchable. Lot's of explosions, fights and car-chases to keep the kids happy.

Rumour has it that legendary US TV producer Michael Mann got Miami-Vice comissioned on the back of a pitch consisting of two words - "MTV Cops".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

I think it's a brill series....biff, bosh, umph, ur nicked....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

am still enjoying it

thought the scene in the club last night was funny with Marc Bolan and some soccer 'stars' (Charlton? and couple others).

Much as I want it to run to a second series I don't think they'll be able to string it out beyond the current 8

The writting needs to be more consistant. The stuff with his mother was well done I thought but then you get daft plot/charcter shifts like when our heros decide to nick this weeks bad guy dispite being on his payroll. It was a bit pat. The gruff copper is bent and a thug yet is protrayed as an "okay-in-the-end" geezer so we can all go to bed happy afterwards.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mike65 wrote:
    Oh yeah exellent music I spotted music by Cream, The Who, Deep Purple and Blue Oyster Cult.
    +1
    I nearly fell off the sofa when I heard Stairway to the Stars by Blue Oyster Cult. I was very impressed by this fairly obscure (but excellent) choice.

I also liked the 70s street scene with the cars, tank tops and crap haircuts. Although if you wanted to be picky its almost like they are recreating the Sweeney or Minder rather than the actual 70s.

I have to admit I didnt watch any other eps. Is the music continuing to be as good? Is the whole point of this series to sell a soon-to-be-released soundtrack CD?

You can check the tracks played here No CD release.

interesting side show

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=13804

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

mike65 wrote:

re that side story, that Ruppert should get a life...

people have better things to do than listen to moaning plebs like him!

he came up with a stoty idea an the beeb didnt like it.... happens to lots of people..

life on mars is v. good probably the best show that the beeb has done in ages!

i can see it last for 2 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

mike65 wrote:
    You can check the tracks played here No CD release.
    Hawkwind, Atomic Rooster - fantastic !!!
    Thanks Mike.
    The soundtrack is obviously a labour of love for someone - cant believe there wont be a CD.

Borning and formulaic

I think it's better than that to be honest. The ongoing backstory leads to some interesting scenes (with the test card girl and so forth) that you wouldn't see in most drama.

I think the script is well written as well, with the writer highlighting differences between the two eras without shoving it down your throat.

I'd agree with stag39. This is the best thing I've seen come out of the BBC in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Really enjoying this show to be honest. I have not missed an episode and to tell you the truth I don't watch many prog. on tv. I mainly watch docs. and stuff like that.

The last tv prog. I used to watch without fail was Twin Peaks but that was a long time ago ;)

I think a soundtrack to the show would be a good idea as they are playing some really good stuff. Enjoy him talking to Marc Boland too which was quite funny :p

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

'Life on Mars' was made by BBC Wales, who produce 'Doctor Who' and other science fiction.
    They needed to borrow preserved Cortina's, Austin 1800's and Morris Marina's to make the 1970's look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

If they remake it for a modern audience they could use 93% of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will they make a Zombie show just like this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Well it is all about visting the past, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Currently on Drama.

And Ashes to Ashes starts there next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭1012594711

Round about the years 'life on Mars' was set in, BBC aired a police series 'z cars'. Was thinking someone who hadn't heard of it may think its about zombies, given films like 'world war z'

• Advertisement
Advertisement