Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to Party/Stay in Sligo Town

• 12-01-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

I am involved in organising a trip to Sligo town for a friends Stag night and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to where to stay. We are looking for a reasonable hotel in the city centre. Nothing too fancy but no hell holes either. Suggestions for places to have a brink or a meal would be welcome too.
    At the moment we are considering the Sligo Southern Hotel and the Sligo Park Hotel should we include anywhere else ?

Thanks in advance

Cionn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For drinking, i guess: The Left Bank, McHugh's, Fiddler's Creek are the popular haunts.

Hotels: The Southern is a bit of a shi*hole and expensive enough too, Sligo Park is pretty pricey but nice. Try The Tower Hotel.. it's renamed now though to ... i forgot.. Quayside Hotel possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Thanks Basquille for that. Is the Park hotel much of a walk from the town centre I am thinking especially after a big night out.

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

why sligo?

havnt been there in a few years but dont remember it as anywhere special!

the clarence hotel had a decent club (gay, but decent)

but that was about 6 years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sligo park maybe...

Basquille got the pubs right.

envy(shudder) and toffs are the clubs...if I can recall!

clarence shut down, it was the only metal place there was. :/

what was the club that had a room called the Garden? i had some good nights there! it had a take away in there too!

oh, i do remember, Equinox.

• Advertisement

why sligo?

havnt been there in a few years but dont remember it as anywhere special!

the clarence hotel had a decent club (gay, but decent)

but that was about 6 years ago.

Well we had to pick somewhere to go and some of us want to do some surfing lessons while others want to get a bit of golf in. Also for those stuck for time you can fly there for 78euro which I think is good value compared to the train which I presume is in the region of 50euro. I was there about 18 months ago (with misses and kid to be fair) and the place looked ok I was in a bar on Strandhill and was itching to get a few pints in however my 6 month old daughter decided it wasn't for her and I had to make do with only one pint of the black stuff. So there is a possibility to go on the lash in strand hill in the afternoon followed by some seriouse pints in the town later on.

C

Cionn wrote:
    Is the Park hotel much of a walk from the town centre I am thinking especially after a big night out.
    Parks pretty much on your way outta the town but not far of a walk.. basically a pretty long walk (especially if drunk) up the main road (Pearse Road).
    envy(shudder) and toffs are the clubs...if I can recall!
    Tip for the two clubsa: Envy = Like em really young? Toffs = Like em old and frigid?
    clarence shut down, it was the only metal place there was. :/
    Possibly for health reasons.. the smell of sick was ever evident walking in the door of the place.. kip!

Cionn wrote:
    Well we had to pick somewhere to go and some of us want to do some surfing lessons while others want to get a bit of golf in. Also for those stuck for time you can fly there for 78euro which I think is good value compared to the train which I presume is in the region of 50euro. I was there about 18 months ago (with misses and kid to be fair) and the place looked ok I was in a bar on Strandhill and was itching to get a few pints in however my 6 month old daughter decided it wasn't for her and I had to make do with only one pint of the black stuff. So there is a possibility to go on the lash in strand hill in the afternoon followed by some seriouse pints in the town later on.
    C

sounds like a plan.

hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

basquille wrote:
    For drinking, i guess: The Left Bank, McHugh's, Fiddler's Creek are the popular haunts.

Hotels: The Southern is a bit of a shi*hole and expensive enough too, Sligo Park is pretty pricey but nice. Try The Tower Hotel.. it's renamed now though to ... i forgot.. Quayside Hotel possibly.

I think the Southern has been refurbished completely as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Cionn wrote:
    At the moment we are considering the Sligo Southern Hotel and the Sligo Park Hotel should we include anywhere else ?

I was in the Great Southern a while back. lovely hotel, make sure you get one of the newer rooms though. With a few drinks on board its not easy to open the doors for the older rooms - if you are in a hurry..
    for the toilet that is :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

There is the Raddison and the Clarion, very nice hotels, but they aren't really walking distance [the road to the radison is lethal, and TBH you'd need to know where you are going]. Taxi's to both shouldn't be more than 7Euro, tops*.

Also likely to be a bit pricey

As for pubs, erm.... maybe the belfry to add to the list. There are plenty of pubs in sligo, just not many good ones [or suitable for a stag do]

* subject to taxi drivers ripping you off

As for pubs, erm.... maybe the belfry to add to the list.
    Very true.. can't believe i forgot that!

Regarding which of the pubs to use for a stag.. best bit would be The Belfry or The Left Bank. The Belfry would probably be the better of the two as i've seen quite a few Hen's (not the animal obviously) in there over the last few months.

McHugh's and Fiddler's really wouldn't be suited to that sorta thing.. just my opinion on the subject anyways!

Thanks for the tips the Belfry sounds like it is the pub to go to in town. I shall give as many pubs as possible a look in on the way. Although since the young ones have arrived on the scene the number of pubs on a pub crawl seems to be getting smaller and smaller just like the oportunities to go on pub crawls.
    Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You could just rent a house/apartment in Yeats Village www.yeatsvillage.ie

It's the student accomodation for the Sligo IT crowd. I live in the apartments, theyre new, clean etc. Not too cheap though. You can rent them nightly/weekly ... Just a thought, might be better craic than a hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cailindenscoth

i would not Recommend the Sligo Park hotel we stayed there in september its not much of a 4 star so id stay clear of that and its pricey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hargodans is a great pub as is the pub in the glasshouse.

when i stayed there last year we rented one of the houses in yeats village up just off clarion road. it was very good value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Thread is nearly 7 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement