Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footwork

Options
  • 12-01-2006 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Went back to Boxing about 2 months ago after a 4 year brake, I was looking for some advice on improving my footwork.
    I’m also Looking for some new equipment. So could you lads advise me on where to shop. I’m mainly looking for a good quality speed ball, my budget is 120euro
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm afraid the only advice I could give is to do what comes naturally to you. Footwork in boxing is like 'touch' or balance in soccer. You are born with it and there is very little you can do to improve it.....lateral movement in boxing is the greatest footwork there is. It makes it very difficult for your opponent to nail you cleanly...Ray Leonard had superb lateral footwork

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

I'd agree to a certain extent that it's something you have naturally, but to say you can't do much to improve it is not true.

The most obvious answer is skipping. It really does work in making someone quicker/lighter on their feet. Once you get into it, use different speeds and foot placement to improve your co-ordination and timing.

Assuming the basics of how to move forward/back/left/right have been explained to you (eg. feet slightly more than shoulder distance apart, side-on stance moving forward you 'push' off the back foot while moving the front foot and follow by moving the back foot the same distance the front has moved - sounds more complicated than it really is) a good way to improve is to face off with another boxer/trainer and have them make a move from which you have to react to eg. he moves forward means you move back, he moves left means you move right etc. Once you're happy that you're technique is correct, speed it up.

As Walshb said, lateral movement cannot be praised enough. It is the key to good defensive boxing and 'giving angles' offensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good point mate, I was more talking about the natural balance and rythm involved with footwork. There is very very little you can do to improve your balance or rythm. But you are correct to say that skipping can help you out. It gives you bounce for one thing. Also if you try and train wearing weights strapped to your feet you will see a noticed improvement in your spring and strength when moving without the weights. You can wear the weights when running, sparring shadow boxing or skipping. They sell ankle weights in a lot of sports shops and each weight weighs 1kg, so you will have a kilo on each ankle which after a while you will definitely notice, but when you take them off it is like floating....unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tylrpower

Thanks for the advice lads....like All boxing clubs we do a lot of skipping with different styles, The idea of the ankle weights sounds interesting, I might pick some up later and give them a go.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

ankle weights are great alright: strap them to your wrists while shadow boxing and just watch your hand speed get way better. also use them when doing the crucifix and you'll feel the benefits

• Advertisement
Advertisement