Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating final year

• 12-01-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Now i checked it out and

"Students may reject their degree result and elect to repeat their entire degree examination (once only) in a subsequent year. Honours may be awarded in such cases."

but a conversation I just had with someone leaves me doubting that should I fail the year or get a grade I'm unhappy with then thats it.

Just in case it is possible to repeat your final year, isnt it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Ye you can.Unless they've changed it this year.
    Cause I know of someone who is repeating their final year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

If you are not happy with your grade (as I was) you can refuse the degree and resit the year - you have to re-do all projects and theses etc, then resit the exams (all of them!) and whatever result you get , you keep - even if its worse than the one you refused. (thankfully mine wasnt :) ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Now i checked it out and

"Students may reject their degree result and elect to repeat their entire degree examination (once only) in a subsequent year. Honours may be awarded in such cases."

but a conversation I just had with someone leaves me doubting that should I fail the year or get a grade I'm unhappy with then thats it.

Just in case it is possible to repeat your final year, isnt it?

Yes, you can repeat, but you have to take the marks you get in the repeat. Your previous mark is discarded completely. Oh, and you have to pay full fees. Which for CSSE, I think, is around five and a half grand.

So if you fail in the repeat, the previous five years are for nothing.

I'm repeating final year this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Yes, you can repeat, but you have to take the marks you get in the repeat. Your previous mark is discarded completely. Oh, and you have to pay full fees. Which for CSSE, I think, is around five and a half grand.

So if you fail in the repeat, the previous five years are for nothing.

I'm repeating final year this year.

what did you get last year ?

Placebo wrote:
    what did you get last year ?

Not really good enough for most masters so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

bad buzz, is honours required for a master?

If you want a research masters, you need at least a 2.1, omitting exceptional circumstances. But a first is sometimes nessecary.

2.1 is the minimum for most taught masters that I looked at. There are taught masters that you can do with a 2.2 though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Cool.
    Cheers.

Advertisement