Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protools the best way to go?

Options
  • 12-01-2006 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Im tore between which software to go with, I know protools was/is the industry standard, but is that still the case today with so much other competiton

I was thinking of getting the mbox2 or an m-audio soundard with ableton live

what software do you use, what one would you recommend

Also can VSTs be used in Protools?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I use ProTools, have used cubase SX in the past. I think Pro-Tools is vastly superiour though I'm sure there will be a queue of people who will agree and disagree. The mbox2 looks very nice indeed. You can run VSTs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

I use an Mbox/protools at home and work and I'm very happy with it. I think it's a good deal money wise as well.
    Pro tools is a huge program with massive potential past the typical home recording scenario, to me this is a greeat asset in software as your creativity and recording will most likely never be limited by the functionality of the software.
    There may be a big learning curve to get the most out of it but it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pmk19

Thanks guys.

@Doctor J/saibhne, have you used protools rewired with reason because i plan using it that way. Would protools just be as good for rewiring as other software.

Anyone here use ableton live, i've heard good things about it.

Yeah I've used reason with rewire. It's grand. Does exactly what it says on the tin, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

I'm using Ableton Live to generate drums for demos and it's fine. It's quite straightforward/easy to use and suits me as my needs only stretch to re-creating a small drum kit. I would hazard a guess that anyone more concerned with creating interesting "beats" and dance tracks might veer towards using Reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

mbox/protools setup is the best option out there. By a mile!
    And reason runs very well with protools. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

for multitracking pro tools is great.. but i found it started getting messy after more than 20 tracks like having to set up extra tracks for effects and such. Why dont you use a combination of pro tools and ableton

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pmk19

Sunn wrote:
    for multitracking pro tools is great.. but i found it started getting messy after more than 20 tracks like having to set up extra tracks for effects and such. Why dont you use a combination of pro tools and ableton

At the moment Id only be able to afford one of them, I always one would be enough. Maybe not, do you or others use a combination of sequencers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

yeah.. but i dont record into cubase.i have no need

i use cubase and reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

how much would it cost to pick up Pro Tools LE & an MBox?

• Advertisement

Try ebay for a start.

The Irish distributor is a company called Big Bear Audio in Ringsend. I'd imagine the original mbox package is being flogged off rather cheaply considering the mbox2 is out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Joad

Protools is the way to go if it's in your price range. Logic is excelent too but more complicated to use. I too would recommend Big Bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Pro Tools is a definate way to go. Unless your seriously into MIDI sequencing then I'd recommend cubase. All though pt7 has made a step up in the midi department it isn't anywhere near the range you have with cubase.

But the mbox2 and the PT7 is the way to go. I have the mbox andthe 002 and I use HD most days of the week too. It means I can work on stuff in the studio and then also bring it home to tidy up loose ends etc.

Have an external hard drive to run the audio from is also a big help. Lacie have great drives...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

if youre doing electronic/dj stuff why not join the Ableton revolution.

viva le I say.. viva le

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

ableton does rock :)

Advertisement