Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The one post that actually matters.

• 12-01-2006 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

This has puzzled me for the past few years, why the **** is the DCU Bar closed?

Seriously? I may want to drown my sorrows after certain exams.

Is it an SU thing or are DCU themselves responsible.

NB: I do not have a drink problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Probably due to the fact that there are exams in the Venue?

NEWSFLASH!

The slipper/Matt Weldons is a far superior pub to the DCU bar. Stop wasting your time and money drinkin' the slop in the DCU BAR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

trying to get served in the slipper around exam time is hell... the place is so overpacked and it takes forever to get to the bar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

phreak wrote:
    trying to get served in the slipper around exam time is hell... the place is so overpacked and it takes forever to get to the bar

your such a moan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kyper

PMS tbh.....

but seriously i think he is just a "closet case"

know what i mean dara? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Is all of the Old Bar closed then, and if so, re-opening? Im not a drinker but those Old Bar rolls are too good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Aye theres that and Prondzynski asked for it to be shut a year or two ago during the exams for other reasons, namely people getting drunk and missing the exams or something.

*sigh* I really do hate the bar bashing that goes on around campus. Wana know why its so dead down there? Well its because people start bitching and stopped going. When we were back in first year there was always a good crowd down there every night of the week then it began to drop off around second year and I'm sure you know how empty it's been this year. What changed? Sweet **** all tbh. If more people went then they'd have a better time, the bar would have more money and the chances of them improving it will...eh..improve. I mean if they're not going to do anything with it after this dodgy year then I think its safe to assume the old "refuse to go till they do it up" mantra is going to have to change...

I've bee in DCU since 2002 and the bar was always crap. If it was anyway decent I'd have no problem heading in more often.

Meh.

Well I suppose it depends what your looking for. We just wanted a place to hang out, have a few beers, play some pool and enjoy a decent atmosphere with a decent sized crowd. The bar HAD that, but it lost the people and hence the atmosphere..:(

Then again that doesnt mean I'm going to stop going, hell if everyone stopped going then it would close down and you'd have even more people complaining that it closed. Its the same with the SU events. This is what usually happens:

Me: So are you going to the X Ball?
    Mate: No...
    Me: Why not?
    Mate: Cos no one goes, its stupid... <insert rant about lack of attendence at them>
    Me: So your definitly not going then?
    Mate: No.

See, it makes PERFECT sense! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

the bar is always good for the first few weeks, then it stops.

looking forward to SHAG and RAG weeks? (weeks 1 and 2...)

hopefully the rag ball will be better than we managed last year. i'll still go though (provided tix aren't too dear) just to support the cause :)

and the slipper, may as well rename it the KIPper. i dont like the place, they dont have salt for the tequila!

@ Rhyme - all the bar is closed as far as i know. and not open for food. think new bar is open though. can't beat fat/fast freddies.
    old bar will reopen is week 1.

have to say though, at least they're trying with the bar, what with €3 tuesdays and a cocktail and shot menu... its not there yet but it is getting better.

more club and society events on campus is what i say, and i think its crazy that they're putting 8 astro turf pitches behind the library - the should put one GAA pitch, one rugby pitch and one soccer pitch and a training area, so that matches could be held on campus, cos people couldn't be bothered to walk back up to the bar from the sports grounds after matches or training.

so back to study for me. god i hate biomolecules. i should have done jam making in ucd.

The slipper is a kip, but the beer/Guinness is much, much nicer than the stuff in the Old bar.

I'd go to the bar more if I knew more people in it I guess. The only time I was there this year was for a redbrick thing and while hanging around before the Canoe Club DVD launch.

There are never seats when I go in and that's usually when it's quiet!

I live in North Kildare so it's awkward for me to get home from college if there are events on. I can only go if I'm guaranteed a lift home afterwards which doesn't always happen. If I have the choice between an average bar in town, or the college bar I'm going to go for the bar in town coz at least I've more options for getting home afterwards.

I'd quite happily go out more in DCU, but with course load etc. it's not always easy to find the time, particularly with a horrible commute to look forward to at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

See now there you go amz, its not the bar you hate, its your life...:D
    Honestly I think its only people that live locally that know the bar best, at least we see it all the time without an strings attached such as having to find a way home. And I do agree with you, bars in town are better but for me on a normal night the student bar is grand. Come Wednesday or Thursday its only a stop off before I head into town...

No question about it, Rag Week last year was ****in' excellent! Down in the bar on Monday for a mates birthday and the place was packed, great night, up at 8.30 the next morning for the Rag Trip, didnt get home till like 4 or 5 the next morning, up the next day and down to the Bar after like one or two lectures then off to the Rag Ball in Spirit which was dodgy until Electric Six came on but they were class so it made it a whole lot better, then to finish off the week it was off to Barcode on Thursday night for more madness....*catches breath*...
    CLASS week! :D

Sounds like someone has a drink problem ...

Sounds like someone is failing miserably at being nice. :D

Sounds like YORE MA!

Hah, quick change there amzy baby! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Amz wrote:
    The slipper is a kip, but the beer/Guinness is much, much nicer than the stuff in the Old bar.

agreed!

Advertisement