Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance

Options
  • 12-01-2006 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hi
    My girlfriend has not got an Irish driving license, but does hold a valid full license from an EU country. She tried to apply to some insurance companies for insurance, but a couple said that they wouldnt insure her as she doesnt have an Irish license, and hibernian (cheeky money grabbing f*ckers that they are) demanded that she pass their ignition test (even though she has her license for over 10 years)

Has anybody else had an experience like this? Is it even legal (what with the government recognising EU driving licenses )..and can anybody suggest where to get insurance?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

Thats a Bl**dy disgrace.....:mad:

I would recommend www.brittoninsurance.com

you can try for a quote on-line first, best of luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've heard of one insurance company (and I thought it was Hibernian) who wouldn't insure EU licence holders using the excuse that they couldn't have penalty points added to their licence. That can be only reason I can think of, since you can exchange your EU licence for an Irish one any time you like, without any kind of test, which kind of debunks the insistence on taking the ignition thing too.

I currently have a Dutch licence and didn't have too much trouble getting insurance, although finding one that would accept my NCB from my Dutch insurers was more of a problem.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, I'd say it's illegal.

P.S. I'm insured with Eagle Star via the AA, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It is illegal for them to refuse a quote but that is not really of help because if you do force them to quote then they will just give an outrageous one.

She should be able to swap her driving licence for an Irish one, all EU ones are interchangeable now so it really shouldn't matter.

The public info website has more details: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html?search=european+driving+licence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

bullrunner wrote:
    Hi
    My girlfriend has not got an Irish driving license, but does hold a valid full license from an EU country. She tried to apply to some insurance companies for insurance, but a couple said that they wouldnt insure her as she doesnt have an Irish license, and hibernian (cheeky money grabbing f*ckers that they are) demanded that she pass their ignition test (even though she has her license for over 10 years)

Has anybody else had an experience like this? Is it even legal (what with the government recognising EU driving licenses )..and can anybody suggest where to get insurance?

thanks

I had the same experience when sorting out insurance down here. Full UK driving license for 15 years and they wanted me to do the ignition course :eek: My GF is French but has held a full UK license for about 10 years.

In the end we went to Quinn Direct. There was a bit of a stutter when I mentioned my GF was French but they got over it quick enough. The quote was OK and has dropped nicely this year.

On a related note. I used the Hibernain Direct site last night for a quote. My QD renewal has an excess of €160. The quote I got from Hibernian was €200 more with a...... wait for it...... €4000 excess! Needless to say I will not be using them.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

thanks for all your help and replies.

In relation to my girlfriend swapping her license for an Irish one...2 things..1 with the government recognising her license so should the insurers...2 her current one doesnt expire for another 20 years...so if she exchanged it for an Irish one then she would have to pay the fee for a license twice in that same period (more of an inconvenience than anything else)

Mr Pudding... thanks we actually got a fairly reasonable qoute from Quinn direct with an excess of 190...

• Advertisement

bullrunner wrote:
    thanks for all your help and replies.

In relation to my girlfriend swapping her license for an Irish one...2 things..1 with the government recognising her license so should the insurers...2 her current one doesnt expire for another 20 years...so if she exchanged it for an Irish one then she would have to pay the fee for a license twice in that same period (more of an inconvenience than anything else)

Mr Pudding... thanks we actually got a fairly reasonable qoute from Quinn direct with an excess of 190...
    I absolutly will not exchange my license. I have no respect for the Irish license and do not want one.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

MrPudding wrote:
    I absolutly will not exchange my license. I have no respect for the Irish license and do not want one.

MrP
    Plus, keeping the UK one, while handy to carry if you have the NI creditcard version, means you currently points free and unpointable

Not so worried about the points thing to be honest, plus I am still able to get them when I am at home. The CC sized aspect is cool though.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting / Transport to Motors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

I can't see how this is legal really. The whole point of an EU-license is that it's valid in all member states so why should insurance companies be allowed to nullify that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

Its perfectyl acceptable for Hibernian to demand her to do ignition. Its a good course and most people have to do it for things over 1.6.

As for refusing insurance, i beleive its absolutly acceptable to refuse to quote you if they want. People seem to have the misconception that they must quote you by law. This only applies if they are insuring you right now and you want to upgrade to a more powerful car. They must legally quote you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kellyanne411

my cousin had the exact same problem.he still hasnt being insured im currently looking into the situation cause i dont think legally that they can refuse to insure if you have a valid licence.ask your girlfriend to try quinn direct.they insure women only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Your girlfriend could be a fantastic driver but seeing how a lot of foreign nationals drive on our roads (obviously not talking about Western Europe as there seems to be a certain standard required), more of them should be made do things like Ignition courses so they are familar with even driving etiquette in this country IMO.

I have yet to come across a Nigerian who can drive in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

Roy16 wrote:
    Thats a Bl**dy disgrace.....:mad:

I would recommend www.brittoninsurance.com

you can try for a quote on-line first, best of luck:)

actually tried these guys...and i cant believe the balls of them...

the quote we got on line was great...but when we went to accept it they said that it was hibernian and we would have to do the ignition course...so basically the quote they were offering does not exist!!

Advertisement