Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with search on FS Computer Hardware?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Fruity. I think I've had that happen a few times in various fora, I think the "Search This Forum" function is a bit dodgey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I think the search functionality is based off some sort of keyword index. The posts appearing in the result set stop around Oct-05. Could something have changed that means that this index is not longer being updated?

Can't remember when the upgrade occurred but there is a post about manually setting the "Index New Posts in Search Engine" for each forum after the upgrade. Also seems to indicate that index can be manually rebuilt.

I use the for sale on an as needed basis i.e. if I'm looking for something I'll search here and then hit ebay. I assume I'm not the only person that does this. Without a functional search FS is not as much use.

Most threads on FSCH are only valid for a few days anyway, stuff gets sold quickly. I've never once used the search function to find something, I go back a few pages, if what I'm looking for isn't there, I post in Wanted; but that's me.

People made good enough use of FS when we didn't have the search function for several months last year, believe me.

CuLT wrote:
    Most threads on FSCH are only valid for a few days anyway, stuff gets sold quickly.
    I don't agree with this - I have stuff there now that's a a few weeks old and have been contacted only this week about stuff that's a few months old. Small stuff granted.
    CuLT wrote:
    People made good enough use of FS when we didn't have the search function for several months last year, believe me.
    Fair enough. However if the site is going to include a "Search this Forum" button then I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that it will "Search this Forum". I'd say either remove the "Search this Forum" link or see if can be fixed - the in between is a bit pointless.

I think the "well if it's not working perfectly then it should be removed" argument is a little silly, I mean, it mostly works.

Thems the breaks with a service you don't pay for, though it'll probably get looked into now.

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    I think the "well if it's not working perfectly then it should be removed" argument is a little silly
    I disagree with this ...
    CuLT wrote:
    I mean, it mostly works.
    ... and have doubts about the basis for this ...
    CuLT wrote:
    Thems the breaks with a service you don't pay for,
    ... and don't even get me started on this attitude.

I guess we'll just have to agree that I'm disagreeable
    CuLT wrote:
    though it'll probably get looked into now.
    Great - if there's anything I can do (other than post argumentative messages) let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It is strange alright. If you do an advanced search and search on the forum FS Comp it'll show up. I wouldn't have thought there would be a different index for the search function as opposed to the advanced search but what do I know.

Anybody looking at this? (Yes, I know it's not your full time job, you don't get paid, etc. - just curious)

Advertisement