Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant Find work Experience!!

• 12-01-2006 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Does anyone have a clue of a Film Production Company in Munster that might take me on for two weeks or less in February?
    I must have tried atleast 15 individual places like, I even went as far as asking Ardmore which is no where near Munster! but I was willing to make the journey, hope is looking dim and I'm being nudged towards radio production instead now by the course director :( so if anyone has any suggestions please get back to me A.S.A.P. cause I really don't wanna do Radio I have no passion for that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

define work experiance?

Are you looking for work experiance such as being a runner in a production company? looking the ins and outs of the industry.

Or are you looking to improve your skills in specific areas (camerawork, lighting, editing etc) and get CV kudos so people will in future hire you into producton companies without much complaint.

Anyway.

for possibility 1.
    Do you have a car? Cause your best bet is to ring anyone in the country (RTE etc) and be willing to drive to them and maybe even rough it in the back seat if it is *really* far away.

For possibility 2.
    Dont limit yourself to film production companies. If you have a half decent video camera, or editing/lighting rig. Then go around offering your services to anyone and anything that might like to have something filmed or edited (Just finished editing a documentary for some church propaganda before christmas, looks lovely on my CV, and will be soon filming ice hockey games.) IF you dont own such pieces of equipment but can gain access to them easily (borrrow from school, university, friend) then its just as good.

Also i might add your time frame is too specific, most companies would shrug you off as too demanding. (from my experiance anyway it was taken that way.)

I cant offer much more then that. I'm picking up work experiance as well, but i was lucky that i was in one of my lecturer's office when he got a call looking for camera operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The place where I work does both Radio and Television production. But we're based in Dublin.

So if you've exhausted all your other options then drop me a PM and I'll give you the contact details of the person who deals with work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

I did my work experience a few years ago with Young Irish Film Makers (www.yifm.com) in Kilkenny a few years ago. It was really good. I doubt they're as busy as a proper production company but it'd be closer to film than radio production.

Also if you've only tried 15 you might consider ringing a few more. Even if they're outside Munster you could always stay in a hostel for cheap for the duration (that's what I did and I loved it).

In Limerick/Clare area also you might get something from Pat shortt's production company?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭hollyhamill

we need work experience to and a friend of mine just got 'ear to the ground' it was his 4oth phonecall to different film companies!
    good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 shutupandlisten

ok these or only small little ones and really i dotn know exactl what they do..but #1 star systems www.starsystems.ie and mcmahon studiosballyporeen,county tipp. www.mcmahonstudio.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

uhmm thats a stained glass studio....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 shutupandlisten

Just realised i made a mistake wit hthe adress it is www.mcmahonstudios.com sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Dan_85 wrote:
    Does anyone have a clue of a Film Production Company in Munster that might take me on for two weeks or less in February?
    I must have tried atleast 15 individual places like, I even went as far as asking Ardmore which is no where near Munster! but I was willing to make the journey, hope is looking dim and I'm being nudged towards radio production instead now by the course director :( so if anyone has any suggestions please get back to me A.S.A.P. cause I really don't wanna do Radio I have no passion for that.

Not a Film Production Company, but more of a tv station...TV3 has an office in Cork for their News production and i would say they may help you out as i know they do a lot of that. Contact Michael Cahill in TV3 at 4193333 and he will be able to assist with your enquirys!

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

film_gonzo wrote:
    I did my work experience a few years ago with Young Irish Film Makers (www.yifm.com) in Kilkenny a few years ago. It was really good. I doubt they're as busy as a proper production company but it'd be closer to film than radio production.

Also if you've only tried 15 you might consider ringing a few more. Even if they're outside Munster you could always stay in a hostel for cheap for the duration (that's what I did and I loved it).

In Limerick/Clare area also you might get something from Pat shortt's production company?!

Oh did you now? What year, I edited one of their films, and that's what started my on the road to a career in post Production, I was a Post Production Sound recordist and Camera assistant on "under the Hawthorn Tree" in 1998 and I edited "Da' Boyz" in 2001 (I think)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

It's a tough business. My guess is, that if you can't find anywhere, then you're approaching them the wrong way (spelling mistakes & bad punction/grammar in your e-mail/cover letter), or they don't like what they see, or you just aren't qualified enough - yes, even for work experience. Most people with degrees or diplomas can't even get a foot in the door.
    Look at www.iftn.ie vacancies section - that's how many jobs are available at the moment in the Irish industry (which, let's face it, is a joke). The hundreds of people who completed media courses in college last year (let alone the years before) are also applying for runner/experience work (and getting turned down). It's sad, but true, but there's even less hope for unqualified people getting a foot in.

• Advertisement

No offence, but that's a load of rubbish. I got work experience in Ardmore, Lime Street Studios, and RTE when I was 15. It's not impossible, you just need to show a passion for whatever area you're interested in.

John

Lump wrote:
    Oh did you now? What year, I edited one of their films, and that's what started my on the road to a career in post Production, I was a Post Production Sound recordist and Camera assistant on "under the Hawthorn Tree" in 1998 and I edited "Da' Boyz" in 2001 (I think)

John

They weren't working on any of their big summer productions when I was there (during Springtime). I think they may have been editing 'Da Boyz' when I was there so i could have met you.

Well, I edited the Mo-Fo, so if you saw the editor.... that was me.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cclarke

hey sorry to join in late but i'm a similar situation, trying to get work experience, i email loads of production companies. some did reply, they just said they would get back to me if any work arises.

should i take that as a blow off?
    any other pointers on how to get work?

Lump wrote:
    Well, I edited the Mo-Fo, so if you saw the editor.... that was me.

John

Ah good stuff. How did it turn out?

As good as expected ;) The editing was brilliant of course :) I thought it was very good, considering it was shot by people, all of whom were under 18, with only 2 weeks training on camera and lights etc. I think YIFM is a great place for anyone to go that has an interest in film making. It's about the only place that you can get hands on experience with decent equipment before going to college. And it's a great laugh.

John

So what you up to these days then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Anyone know of any around Wexford/Waterford area?? I've done two film courses as part of Art Council things, but the guy doesn't do work experience...the yifm, well, I get the film courses for free, and like its 200 euro for the same thing so i'm stepping away from that...

What age are you?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

cclarke wrote:
    hey sorry to join in late but i'm a similar situation, trying to get work experience, i email loads of production companies. some did reply, they just said they would get back to me if any work arises.

should i take that as a blow off?
    any other pointers on how to get work?

To be honest I wouldnt hold my breath waiting on them to get back to you, basically its a polite way of saying No. You have to remember that these companies receive cvs every day and probably just file them/maybe even throw them out. If something does come up, what's going to make your cv stand out from the rest?

Not trying to put you off or anything. I found it difficult to find work in any media fields when I left college, but managed to land some jobs and am now working full time in television. The work is there if you want it, but you really have to work for it!

Call the companies before hand and introduce yourself, ask who you should direct a cv and letter to. Its always better to have a contact rather than Dear Sir/Madam. Tailor each letter and cv towards the particular company, rather than sending a general email to 20 email addresses. When you have sent the cv follow it up with a phone call, perhaps even asking if you can meet with them to discuss future opportunites and see how they work. Find out what they are working on and offer to come in and make tea or coffee, if you have a car offer to pick up props and equipment, ferry guests and actors to location. If they aren't in production at the moment you could come into the office and do filing, organise their tape library, answer the phone. Offer to cover any holiday leave that staff may be taking. If you can do any of this, even for a few days, they may remember you when a vacancy comes up.

Sound like too much hard work? Welcome to the reality of the industry!

PS Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I'm fourteen. Its for TY.

I got work experience with "Lime Street Sound" when I was in TY and RTE. You might have some luck with them?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 franzgabriel

Hi, my name is franz and I saw your post and I was just wondering if you can help me with my work experience problem. Because I have been ringing, sending email to a lot of post production that do both radio and tv post production where areas I am interested. So far no one has been really helpful. So I am bit desperate because it's kind of requirement to do in my college which I am in my last year and I really would love to experience the real industry before I finish college.

Thanks..

Advertisement