Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you the perfect driver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Savman wrote:
    Nope that's definately incorrect, Amber = STOP (unless unsafe to do so, you're right there seamus)

I remember doing the theory test, you are expected to slow down approaching any traffic signal, especially green because you don't know when it is going to change. I'm just saying that this is a big grey area and there is legally no excuse whatsoever for flying thru an Amber light even though we all do it. The interpretation would be that you're obviously speeding if you can't stop in time, and this puts into doubt your ability to react to hazards/stop in sufficient time.
    Yep, a good driver will be constantly assessing the situation while approaching a green traffic light so that he is prepared for it turning amber. Then if it does turn amber there is less thinking needed as to whether he stops for it or goes through. Of course there are some situations where its a 50/50 decision whether to stop or go. The higher the speed, the more difficult the decision so this is why slowing down is a good idea.

The problem in Ireland is that a) drivers are not concentrating on their driving while approaching traffic lights or at any other time b) there is a culture of amber and red light breaking so drivers expect other drivers to boot it when the see an amber light up ahead. This present difficulties for drivers that do want to obey the law and makes the above mentioned decison making more difficult. Also, I personally have encountered road rage from following drivers because I had the nerve to stop at a RED light :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Savman wrote:
    Nope that's definately incorrect, Amber = STOP (unless unsafe to do so, you're right there seamus)
    Ah, apologies. I hadn't read seamus' earlier post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

BrianD3 wrote:
    I personally have encountered road rage from following drivers because I had the nerve to stop at a RED light :rolleyes:

Un-friggin-believable. The cheek of ye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BrianD3 wrote:
    The problem in Ireland is that a) drivers are not concentrating on their driving while approaching traffic lights or at any other time b) there is a culture of amber and red light breaking so drivers expect other drivers to boot it when the see an amber light up ahead.
    They particularly expect bikers to break the lights. This evening, approaching traffic lights, they turn amber. When I check my mirror, I see a taxi driver pull into my lane (behind me, and the lights had gone amber ffs) and put the foot down. I stopped anyway. He looked very forlorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Perfect of course.

Get a minor offence here and you get the chance to go to "driving school" for 8 or 16 hours. Where you meet all the "imperfect" drivers in the same boat.

One of the favorite questions, the instructors like to start with, is, "Who here thinks they are a good driver", most all hands go up.
    Next question...."OK, so if your a "good driver" why are you here then?"
    Thereafter you get to state your "crime" for general debate and a laugh.

Choices were a little limited and polar, ie, if not 100% your in the maniac class. and while there may be some in both of those classes, most are somewhere in between. or have particular favorite sins, like running red lights. but otherwise perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

prospect wrote:
    I regularly see a woman sitting in stationary traffic, leaving a two/three car length gap in front of her, and some other driver a few cars back can't make a right/left turn. But if she would take a moment to observe the 'other people' around her in her mirrors she would see that if she moved a bit she could allow the person turning the freedom to continue their journey.

Thats such a pet hate of mine too.
    A decent blast of the horn usualy boosts their awareness , Dubb &%*$!

I agree with you little disclaimer too , but however i do believ that men are naturally more aware of their surroundings and more able to control a car than MOSt women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

C_Breeze wrote:
    Thats such a pet hate of mine too.
    A decent blast of the horn usualy boosts their awareness , Dubb &%*$!

I agree with you little disclaimer too , but however i do believ that men are naturally more aware of their surroundings and more able to control a car than MOSt women

Not really;
    First off ther is a male/female 3D spacial thing.

I remember a long time ago in a carpark, there was a badly parked object, truck, car, lorry I forget, but there was a lady coming against me in a Fiesta and rather than pass between the end of the "vehicle sticking out" and whatever was opposite, she reversed back up the aisle and went about.
    I was coming the opposite way against the same obstruction (narrow gap) in a VW Golf, and managed to pass by carefully.
    So the reason there is a 2 or 3 car gap between this person and the car in front is "the 3D Spacial" thingy or rather lack of it. So hooting will not impress on her that there is ANY space for you to navigate, irrespective of whatever you know or think.
    So the best thing is keep you dims on, might get her to realize you are actually there in the first place, then may get her to move up a bit.. and if all that does not work.... forget it, position yourself so that you can admire her beauty (if any) in her RV mirror while you wait.
    Other than getting out and taking the wheel or calling her on the cell phone, by hooting and generally going "ape", you are not going to persuade her or him that they can get 5'-6" closer to the car ahead and not hit anything. and if s/he is driving something eggspensive like a BMW/Volvo/MB, forget, 25' is too close.

So it is not really a case of beign aware or otherwise, it's a case of being aware of where the envelope of the car terminates.

Illustration time;
    How come a lady can get a 38"-L butt into a 36"-S pair of jeans and cannot get a Mini into a haybarn.

or as I mutter... "Common lady, It's not the QEII your trying to dock."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Hogging the overtaking lane really pi**es me off. After waiting a few minutes I usually undertake..

I suppose I'm driving badly then .. ( and probably breaking the law )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'm defo not the perfect driver. I learn everytime I drive.

I learn a lot about how not to drive when I'm I following Nissan Micra's.

Sorry, not trying to make a generlaziation but it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I genuinely try my best to be a safe driver.
    I have to say though that in the last year or two for whatever reason I have become a more aggressive driver and more likely to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

noone is a perfect driver really are they? everyone must do something wrong now and then
    Lightening is a member here, he is the perfect driver or so he say's he never in his fourteen year's of driving made any mistake's. He think's no one else in the country can drive as good as him, what an asshole no matter how good you think you are you can make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

why would you bump a year old thread for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Savman wrote:
    why would you bump a year old thread for that?
    My thoughts exactly.

BTW, there is no such thing as a perfect driver - everybody makes mistakes, some just won't admit to them!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sam Kade wrote:
    Lightening is a member here, he is the perfect driver or so he say's he never in his fourteen year's of driving made any mistake's. He think's no one else in the country can drive as good as him, what an asshole no matter how good you think you are you can make mistakes.
    Im not sure why but this isn't the first time you have targetted Lightning.
    However, Im stopping your motors access for at least a week for ignoring several reasons (personal attacks, language, possibly trolling, digging up old threads).
    If and when you return do not make direct personal attacks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement