Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B*llocks - we need a new immersion

Options
  • 12-01-2006 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Oh what joy - smashed broke after Christmas & have just been told that our immersion is f*cked and that we need a new one.

Can some kind soul send me over the edge by telling me how much it's going to cost us (very roughly). We've a gas central heating system & apparently the immersion is all corroded because of our crappy water - if it helps, it's an "Ideal Immersion System) about 4.5 years old

Ta!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

I think ours cost about 00 - €150? Ill check it out for you later but Im sure it was around that. I remember being very relieved that it wouldnt break the bank as its been hit very hard lately. Ill pm you the number of our electrician - I think it was him who put it in and not the plumber.
    Im not much help really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

will cost very little if u can do it urself or someone u know can do it. if u go to b and q liffey valley there are instructions on the wall explaining how to do it, its very simple. shouldnt cost more than 35 euro. if u need it cheaper buy in a dedicated electrical store. i persume u have to close the in valves leading into the tank to get rid of the water pressure, and drain out the tank via a tap probably helps also.
    make sure u turn the electric off.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Thanks a million for the advice. A guy in work has a similar ongoing problem & swears by using a stainles steel replacement, which he's going to get for me. I'll then get my friend TJ to sort it all out (he's a registered electrician)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

You can do this yourself but you need a special spanner to undo the large immersion cap nut. It's also a little tricky to do the electrics. i've repeatedly seen the thermostat wired to the wrong connection so that the water boils continuously. You also definitely do not want your copper tank going 'live' through faulty wiring.

Might be better to get an electrician in pay the E150-200 it will cost, unless you're very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Reyman wrote:
    i've repeatedly seen the thermostat wired to the wrong connection so that the water boils continuously.

Ah ha, so that's why I occasionally have to leap from my chair when I hear the pipes shaking and have to turn on all the hot taps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Make sure you are VERY careful when opening and tightening the immersion, if your water is very hard there is a good chance your cylinder has been weakened, you can very very easily open a hole in the cylinder and you will be in a world of pain then because you will need a new cylinder too.
    It is caused because cylinders get weak with age, this can happen to any professional but at least they will be equipped to fix the problem if the worst happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Oh God I won't be even thinking about a DIY job - a RECI electrician will be doing it for me:D

Advertisement