Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lc music

Options
  • 12-01-2006 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of any sites with good practical notes on tchaikovsky or any of those pieces? any help accepted!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

hiya im doing leaving cert music.
    theres a book called soundscapes and it has all the revision notes in it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Is that book by that guy in Dublin? Some professor, blue book??

Well if it is, it goes way into way too much detail and the way he describes things is very "arty farty". Avoid it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

haha yeah its a blue book!
    i dont have it but my teacher said its good..
    true it goes into detail lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

I have to say material for LC Music is pretty scarce on the ground. You're kind of left in the dark with the works, apart from "handouts".

Also I find it hard to grasp the melody and harmony exercises; again there's no book to help me out there. Most teachers aren't bothered if you understand the theory behind these things or not, they just get you to learn it.

Could anyone help me out, especially for melody exercises?

Luckily for me, my teacher has been teaching for the past 20 years and has collected so much stuff over those years, all the notes we have cover everything includoing in the harmony what you have to have and whats the best way on getting a high mark..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Psychedelik

exiot wrote:
    Luckily for me, my teacher has been teaching for the past 20 years and has collected so much stuff over those years, all the notes we have cover everything includoing in the harmony what you have to have and whats the best way on getting a high mark..

Any tips there of the top of your head, exiot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

my music teacher is terrible...
    however she does cover a lot on harmony adn melody..

altho she's only covering the 1 type of melody question with us. the one where we're given teh 1st line, and we have to write another 3 lines, in the form A, A1, B1, A2 i think it is.

hopefully i'll be fine with that and the harmony... altho if they put it in a minor key i'll get so confused i bet :eek: which is stupid i know, but still!

For all the prescribed works, she gives us handouts, im not sure what book theyre from.. theyre ok.. but... not great...

and i WISH companies printed music exam papers... :confused:

Practicals - end of march.... hhmmmmmm.... :(
    i get so nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Is anyone doing the elective papers? I recommend the listening elective for anyone who may get nervous playing. It carries a quarter of your result, and all you have to do is write about a performer of your choice and talk through how they write their music. It's worth asking your teacher about.

As regards compositions, I'm doing Q1 and Q4 for the harmony. You can run into trouble with consecutive fifths and octaves, but if you fill in the bass first I find it's not too difficult at all at all. I think i have a good grasp of the composing now, it's the Trad listening I'll be worried about. Don't have avlue about dances etc.

PS. Did anyone like Gerald Barry or was it just me?
    I think the chaps a genius, fave piece on the exam.

Just make sure you know which instrumemts are playing in the different sections, what instrumental and compositional techniques are being used. Oh and if you did it for the JC it would be a good idea to look over the Jazz section.
    Oh, in Harmony make sure you know which one is the Harmony note, and we have only started melody theory..
    Irish music, make sure you know sean nós or riverdance or something, as you have to do an essay..

If you know that much you will be grand, lads dont worry about music, its in the last week! For me I have Physics on Monday and then Music on Thursday, plenty of time to learn!

Daddio, I liked bits of Barry. The piano solo was probnably my favourite part but on a Monday morning there isnt much to like about that piece.. ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Gerald grew on me! i found it horrible painful at first... that fecking violin up about 3 octaves from middle c! OUCHIES!!!

but nah, me and my friend love parts of it... some parts are so dodgy though i think!

Tchaikovsky is my faovurite, i think its so beautiful :)

we're just finishing Bach at the moment, im undecided about it... think its an amazing compositon like, but still not pushed on listening to it...

My music teacher has never even mentioned the elective paper. i have never heard about it?
    she's so annoying... and i actually despise her...
    She's one of those people that just, aren't meant to be teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The elective is very easy, and apparently most teachers didn't go near it because they thought it would be difficult. I'm doung it at the moment, mainly because I have a very good interest in my topic and thought I'd like to find out more about it.

You put ten songs/ compositions relating to your essay on a tape, and you have to write about at least five of them in an essay. You have 45 minutes to do the essay, and they give you about 3 1/2 pages to do it (you will probs be able to write more though). You show some examples of features of the music by writing out rhythm diagrams etc. You do it on the 22nd, after the listening and composing papers, and you can't bring any notes with you, it's all written out in the exam.

If you really like a certain genre/ composer/ musician etc. you should look into it. It's interesting and it's easy marks aswell imo.

Advertisement