Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homebrew finally on 2.5 and 2.6

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Good stuff sony havnt a hope of ever stopping this too many people are up against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's a useless fight, costing so much money and effort that could be better spent elsewhere.

Whatever about the iso launchers, I think a lot of homebrew apps do the PSP a lot of good. Sony should try to embrace this community, not fight against it. PSP Yaroze, make it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

excellent news. time to buy GTA me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I can't see homebrew taking off if we need to load GTA everytime we want to play something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just trying it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Doesn't work, shut's down the PSP each time. :mad:

I would avoid this for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

It is about FOOKING time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Someone tell me when snes9x works on it, then I'll be a happy man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

yes, great. i get to load GTA up and THEN and only then can i run homebrew.

bah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Fanjita ftw!
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/01/fanjita-releases-developers-package.html#comments

He has released a dev kit for homebrew developers to port their stuff to work via the GTA exploit on 2.01 :)

Soon I hope to be getting my scummvm on with my 2.01 psp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Ah, the joy's of homebrew.

I have upgraded my psp to 2.0 to play GTA but shall upgrade no further. Keeping it just there and allowing myself to downgrade to 1.5 for my loaders.. .. oh, and lets not forget PSPRevolution, thats a hell of a lot of fun to play.

Im sure 2.5 or whatever psp is on shall be 'hacked' so to speak and homebrew allowed to play. When I got my psp back in the 1.0 days there was a Saved Games and such folder on the Memory Sticks so Im sure the intention was there for Sony to allow home made code to run on it. But I think the whole legality aspect is maybe what scared a good few of them. Snes games and such are still under licence etc. etc. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

you got me excited for a second, this is old news, like 2 weeks or something? ive had that tetris for ages, and without the music its a boring game tbh.

Ill clap when i see something to load my iso files...

I think its new news for 2.5+ users.

nope =D that news has been out now for the past week =D defo remember reading it, dled it , then like 2days later 2.6 came out

iso laoders pleas ei want my sega megadrive emulator on me psp =D

What purpose is there for ISO loaders on the psp besides piracy? You sure don't need them to run emulators.

If you backup your games so you can play them without the discs? So instead of me carrying around 3 umds i just put them onto my psp, totally legal.

There are plenty of files that come in iso format too , but mainly for backing up my games so i dont need the umds. Cause im yet to see a decent carrier kit.

also you can create ISO images of your dvd's and watch them on-the-go.

granted, most people are probably just using ISO loaders for piracy.

If you backup your games so you can play them without the discs? So instead of me carrying around 3 umds i just put them onto my psp, totally legal.
    Illegal actually.

And you can't create an ISO of a DVD and mount it.

it'd make far more sense to convert your DVD to MP4 and play it from the memory stick without any third party software at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

You will want to be buying big memory though to carry aroung three games worth in ISO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

ISO loaders dont work on 2.0 up though still right??

Wrong ciaran.

Its totally legal to backup your umds because its your property you paid for.

Like the way that you can legally copy your DVDS aslong as you own it.

Once you own something, aka you paid for it, you can legally copy it and its fine.

I have heard from american friends people getting busted by cops accusing them of piracy, but then they show them the real dvd that they own, and its egg on cops noses.

So trust me legally its perfectly ok, and if it was illegal the boards mod would be on my case banning me, but hes not.

I think there is a debate bout it on some psp site must find the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

dimerocks wrote:
    ISO loaders dont work on 2.0 up though still right??
    no?

another example is how people using no cd cracks

For people who own the game which they paid for its perfectly legal to run a no cd crack, your not in violation of any law, your just not arsed using the cd.

Putting music onto your comptuer? legal, just your not arsed using the cd

Putting games on your psp, legal, your just not arsed using the umd.

lets not get into this legal debate someone tell me, do iso loaders work on 2.00 ? i dont think they did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

yes, great. i get to load GTA up and THEN and only then can i run homebrew.

bah.

Yeah thats exactly how it is... We should be lucky that we do have the possibilities of running homebrew now. Who cares if we have to go out and buy the best game available for the psp so we can run our emulators and eventually iso's?? If you feel thats "too" much for you then don't worry..we'll be enjoying our homebrew in no time.
    placebo wrote:
    lets not get into this legal debate someone tell me, do iso loaders work on 2.00 ? i dont think they did

There is a downgrader available for version 2.0 which allows you to run homebrew off the 1.5 system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I have heard from american friends people getting busted by cops accusing them of piracy, but then they show them the real dvd that they own, and its egg on cops noses.

So trust me legally its perfectly ok, and if it was illegal the boards mod would be on my case banning me, but hes not.

Since when does American law apply in Ireland? (and no smart answers from pinko lefties!)

The whole area of console modding and "back-ups" is at the moment a legally very grey area. It is indisputable that it's main application is in running pirate copies of games, and as such, talk of iso loaders and whatnot is actually not tolerated on boards.ie.

So, ner.

i have 1.5 . Do any games require over 2.00 to work at the moment ?
    Besides snes/neogeo cd emulation i dont think homebrew brings any other use ? [maybe the quake port ?] isoloader just make you lose appreciation for games and will eventually kill the psp if continued.

• Advertisement

most recent games require 2.0

There are games coming though that require the 2.5 upgrade.

At the end of the day all firmware released to date has been hacked down and downgraders will arrive for all, im dieing to put me megadrive emulator onto me psp, streets of rage ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

most recent games require 2.0

There are games coming though that require the 2.5 upgrade.

At the end of the day all firmware released to date has been hacked down and downgraders will arrive for all, im dieing to put me megadrive emulator onto me psp, streets of rage ftw!

There are hacks available that fake the system version for games that require software update.

Also supposedly you jus have to install the update then downgrade because it leaves the necessary files on the psp system. Not sure if I'm right there but think I read it somewhere

Also this isn't a discussion about ISO's.. Most people want homebrew for the emulators. Bit of golden axe aww yeah!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You can run most homebrew on verion 2 firmware now and downgrade to 1.5 from there as well. It's just the versions from 2.01 upwards that you cannot dowgrade and have very limited homwbrew so far other than the one game of Tetris if you have GTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Simple points

Yes, recent games (everything since GTA) need 2.0.

No, there are no UMD emus on 2.0 plus (personally I think this is an on purpose thing... Sony don't seem to have clamped down on the post 2.01 stuff HALF as fast as on the downgrader).

Upgrading and then downgrading does not leave the necessary video codecs etc on your PSP to play later games... not at all chief ;)

Yes it is legal to copy software you have bought under ordinary circumstances. Sadly, loading the game means that you agree to the End User License Agreement, this means that most of the time you're in violation of the EULA if you back up your games to ISOs.

The legal grey area in game copying comes from this EULA piece... players must have read the EULA (which doesn't happen) which may itself be a breach of the law... confused? It's far worse if you try to make it through the legalese in the full version :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Sony must love rockstargames, for there help with the home brew industry lol,
    Long live Gta's homebrewing.

but even with 2.6 which i have they are not giving anything worth while to update to except the wma plackback which u need to use a wifi point to activate??? or the rss or base station which we can't use here, why not give us something useful like tv!!!!

su_dios wrote:
    Yeah thats exactly how it is... We should be lucky that we do have the possibilities of running homebrew now. Who cares if we have to go out and buy the best game available for the psp so we can run our emulators and eventually iso's?? If you feel thats "too" much for you then don't worry..we'll be enjoying our homebrew in no time.

oh that's not my problem. i already own GTA, fear not. when i was downgraded though i only played homebrew games (streets of rage mainly) for short bursts at a time. loading up GTA and running through that takes up precious time. it's a lot easier to pop in lumines and get pissed off at missing my high score by 1 point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi guys,

New to all this, only have my psp since christmas.

What exactly do you mean by homebrew?
    I have GTA, and my firmware is 2.60....

Please keep explanations simple :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

You needn't worry about Homebrew for how chief. 2.6 supports precious little at the moment. It's more of a "proof of concept" stage for now ;)

Advertisement