Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peculiar question for this forum, but here goes

Options
  • 13-01-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭

fellow modders, lend me your drilling expertise

over the christmas i have almost completed the wiring of my living room for wall mounted speakers for my soon to be bought HTPC.

wiring inslide the plaster walls was a pain in my arse, and the odd wall looks like something out of black hawk down, but a qiuck splash of filler and it will be grand.

however i have a BUILDING QUESTION

i also need to run cat 6 cable from downtairs to upstairs. here is the question (and excuse my building ignorance)

if i poke the cable behind the plaster board, and using metal fish tape to push it thru, when i get the the ceiling, do builders run wooden supports around the edge that i would need to drill thru? sorry about how i worded this but my building experience is pretty horrible. i checked google but i an not sure the US site i refernced are safe enough for how houses are built here.

i am hoping to drive the cable into the attic and drop it back down inside the plasterboard walls upstairs.

anyone tried this and know the answer before i begin this mammoth task. i could drill outside and up but i want to avoid this if i can.

also i do need cat6, wireless wont suffice for what i need.

anyone got an suggestions?

thanks

fj

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Try posting here for answers to your question:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

cool dude but as of this morning i got my answer...and unfortunately yes it does...so i will have to chomp out a good piece of plaster board to dripp the hole..

thanks for replying tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

afaik there is wood behind the plasterboard between storeys in a house, it is very fiddley to get a wire from attic to livingroom, it would take you ages.

What type of network traffic you using (streaming video/dvds/music)??? if soi would definitly recommend cat6, gigabit is so much better and smoother then 100meg. after changing to gigabit id never go back. wireless is usually useless for streaming video

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

STP if you're running it by any power leads - or just in general. Will be hardwer to crimp, and you'll need STP heads aswell as patch leads and wall sockets etc.

Advertisement