Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train my boxer (dog) to find things using sense of smell?

• 13-01-2006 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I've got a 6 month old boxer which I got a good while ago... I've got her trained a bit -- she can sit, lie down, stay, fetch(kinda), give the paw, and speak -- although she is still kinda undisciplined(doesn't always stop when I tell her to, pulls the lead too).

Anywho, I've noticed that she, like most dogs, has a good sense of smell... I let my cat in a few minutes ago, and the dog was asleep in the corner, not able to see him, but after the cat went by she started sniffing and sure enough found him.

I know that cats and fresh air have a fairly strong smell, at least to a dog anyway! But I've read some people saying that their dog is able to find things like their ball using their sense of smell.

Again, that probably has a strong smell, but dogs are used to sniff bags and things at airports, so they can obviously pick up feint scents.

So I was thinking, how possible would it be to train my dog to find and possibly retrieve things like my mobile phone?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I might be wrong but i think a 6 month old boxer still has a major chewing phase to come so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to encourage her to be picking up anything of value :D

Advertisement