Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal sign a Midfielder

• 13-01-2006 2:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Its a done deal afaik

http://www.football365.com/teams/arsenal/story_174092.shtml
    Expect offical club confirmation tomorrow.

Im pleased at the signing but yet again another player for the future rather thn the experienced one arsenal need now.
    The press were raving about him after the u-19 euro champs final where he did a Vieria type performance for the french team as they went on to win the tournament. Same build as they guy too. 6 2" not as lanky as vieria but definately built like a brick $hit house.

http://www.aja.fr/siteofficiel/images/galeries/2756.jpg

http://www.aja.fr/siteofficiel/images/galeries/2756.jpg

Arsenal also beat chelsea in getting him who offered half a million more for him then Arsenal

We just have to wait and see what he is like

On other news there are really strong rumours going around that Theo Walchot is going to sign for arsenal in the next day or 2. He is regarded as probably the best player in the championship and at only 16 holds down a regular place for southhampton.

To add fuel to fire, he was at arsenal's training ground yesterday, supposeingly checking out the world class training facilites they have there with woodward. The chairman too has indicates that they may sell him....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/southampton /4605216.stm

PS just noticed its on sky sports now and more or less all the back pages of the english meida. This would be a great signing imo. At 16 he can already run a sub 11 seconds 100 metres...Give him a year or 3 and he may be fasyer then Henry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, although Wenger doesn't have the best of reps for grooming home-grown talent.
    Why don't we have a system like the one in Italy, where Arsenal could get part ownership, or could loan him out for 3 or 4 years to let him develop naturally with co-ownership or something.
    It seems silly for United/Arsenal/Chelsea to buy up all the young talent to let them sit in youth teams instead of playing in lower divisions.

Good signing though, I've heard great things about him, and he could be a top quality midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

My god stop with the teenagers. I'm assuming these aren't the only midfielders Arsenal are going for during this transfer window. I mean it's nice and all having supposedly top class youngsters but apart from Henry and Cole when he was fit, the experienced players aren't performing and there needs to be a signing or two to give all the old timers and good kick in the arse.

Also PHB is right, with the exception of Ashley Cole all the English youngsters Wenger has tried to bring through have failed (please let's just forget about the entire Franny Jeffers incident). Maybe it's just coincidence, or maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The Theo deal isn't done yet. If he goes I want HUGE compensation for Saints.
    Saints have slapped down reports that Theo Walcott is poised for a move to Arsenal.
    Local television tonight claimed that the 16-year-old superstar is at the Gunners' training ground.

However chairman Rupert Lowe instantly dismissed the notion saying: "It is the first I have heard of it.
    "We would have to have agreed a fee for him to do that - and we have not done so.

"Clive Woodward and I visited Arsenal's training ground today just to look at their facilities which are magnificent.
    "Maybe that has caused some crossed wires? But we have not agreed to sell Theo, we want to keep him.

"We want him to stay as long as possible but I cannot give any copperbottomed answers and say he will be here for the next five years or two years or whatever.
    "We hope he will be and while he is happy that we are the club to give him the right career path to progress then I am sure he will stay.

"But if at any stage he wants to go then that will be a matter for him and his advisors and those he talks to.
    "In the same way that supporters have jobs and sometimes move on, if he feels he is better served by a move then that is a matter for him.

"I don't think we will feel for a very long time that we would want him to go and we never try to sell our players at 16 or 17.
    "We want to get the best from him and for him to progress and flourish here as he has done so far.

"Fans saw against Milton Keynes last week just what he can do and that he is going to be a great player.
    "He is a wonderful player and we hope to have him for a very long time but you can never say never and I cannot guarantee it."

Walcott cannot sign a professional contract until his 17th birthday on March 16. But he has already pledged that he will do so and is guaranteed a very lucrative deal.
    Newspaper have recently suggested he could refuse to sign and then move elsewhere with compensation being decided by a tribunal.

But Walcott is a likeable and level-headed youngster with a solid family behind him and agents who care more about his development than a fast buck. And they are also reported to be keen to be fair to the club which discovered and nurtured him.
    Riches are sure to follow for such a talent and the key right now is to ensure he develops at his own pace and in the right environment.

And Lowe insists the striker is better off at Southampton than at a big club like Chelsea where he could get lost or pushed way down the pecking order, as Shaun Wright-Phillips has found to his cost.
    He told The Saint: "I am not going into the contractual details but but the issue is he is still a scholar and signs as a pro when he is 17.

"All things being equal, that should happen. He is a young lad who will listen to his advisors and parents and everything they think has got to be taken into account.
    "But we are delighted to have him and great credit must go to our Academy staff who identified and developed Theo.

"Our academy facilities and management structure make it easier to attract players and Theo has flourished in our structure here.
    "He has played a lot of first-team football and done tremendously well and we want him to continue that with us."

Also, "may be faster than Henry" in 3 years??? Have you ever even seen Walcott??? The faster player I've ever seen in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

interesting, not heard of this French guy. but i think Wenger should also be buying an experienced midfielder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well the papers are talking 10 million dont think u could go any higher then that,

I think they want to buy him and then let him finish the season with the saints, then to join up with arsenal in the summer.

As with english players coming through at arsenal, well if your not good enough it doesnt matter. Name one english player that left arsenal that went on to achieve great things?? Partly maybe upson went on to impress for a while other then that nothing really.

• Advertisement

10 Million for Walcott? A 16 year old? I don't care how much potential he has, you'd be nuts to pay that much for a 16 year old.

Well then you don't get him! Cos this kid is special.

30 million for Rooney when he was 18.

Was that worth it?

JoeSoap I take it your a saints fan?
    How good is this guy? Does he have a good touch or is he just a speed merchant?

jank wrote:

Was that worth it?

Ok so it worked out for United but paying big money for kids is a huge risk, Arsenal don't have all that much money lying around and I'd prefer to see 10 million spent on some experienced players. Signing kids for the future isn't going to stengthen the current squad, I hope Wenger realises missing out on a Champions League spot this year is a distinct possibility.

Ok so it worked out for United but paying big money for kids is a huge risk, Arsenal don't have all that much money lying around and I'd prefer to see 10 million spent on some experienced players. Signing kids for the future isn't going to stengthen the current squad, I hope Wenger realises missing out on the Champions League this year is a distinct possibility.

We could always do a liverpool on it :D

• Advertisement

He's a legend. Surprised you haven't seen or heard of him yet. Made his debut against Wolves in the first game of the season, came off the bench and ran the Wolves defence ragged.

Check this post out from May of last year by the way, a full four or five months before his debut - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=247187&highlight=walcott

Everyone who follows Southampton knows this kid is going to be huge, we just hope we can hang onto him. Real Madrid have been linked with him on more than one occasion. In fact,

Plenty of mention of him in the Southampton thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054848482&highlight=walcott

Scored an unbelievable goal against Luton a few weeks back, I uploaded it then but unfortunately the link has expired so I'll try get it back at some stage. I think he has 6 or 7 goals for us this season, too lazy to check!

If you have MOTD from last weekend handy check out his speed in the game vs MK Dons. He was nominated for BBC Young Sports Personality of the Year and FA Cup 3rd Round Player of the Round. Reminds me very much of Rooney, certainly not in styles of play but in terms of raw talent at a very young age.

http://youtube.com/w/Theo-Walcott---New-English-Talent?v=K1E-BbHM3mc&search=theo%20walcott

I have heard alot of him. Regarded as the next big English player like Rooney and Owen.. Havent seen him play tough becuase I dont have sky

Hope this deal happens. I know it wont solve arsenal's problems this season but looks like one for the future alright along with the other half of arsenals squad.

jank wrote:
    http://youtube.com/w/Theo-Walcott---New-English-Talent?v=K1E-BbHM3mc&search=theo%20walcott

I have heard alot of him. Regarded as the next big English player like Rooney and Owen.. Havent seen him play tough becuase I dont have sky

Hope this deal happens. I know it wont solve arsenal's problems this season but looks like one for the future alright along with the other half of arsenals squad.

Ah right sorry! I hope it doesn't go through for obvious reasons, not least because I'm heading over there next month! Cheers for the link!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Delighted with both these signings as they would both be major coups, both are in high demand. Wenger has been burned in the past with English youngsters and seems reluctant with them now, so he must be very, very confident that Walcott is the real deal. His attitude and ability seems 10x that of Jeffers, Pennant et al though.

Experienced players in other positions still need to be signed, though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

According to BBC teletext this morning, the price being touted around for Walcott is £15m. Now I know how good Walcott is, he almost destroyed Leeds earlier in the season, and he has fantastic talent for someone so young but I think £15m is going a bit too over the top.

Either way Southampton really should fight to keep him and I think he would be better off staying where he is. Shaun Wright-Phillips is an example of a great young talent who moved to a big club only to rot in the reserves. Walcott needs tobe playing regularily to improve his game and no better place to do that than Southampton. MrJoeSoap when does he turn 17 as that is the time he can sign his first professional contract?

He turns on March 16th. At the moment he has signed an acadamy contract, meaning Saints can negotiate any price they like. He has verbally agreed to sign a new contract once he turns 18, but we all know what that is worth these days.

Anyway, if he doesn't sign a contract with us, the fee will most likely be decided by tribunal, which usually ends up at £2m or so. The thing is, however, that Walcott apparently wants Southampton to benefit as much as possible from any potential deal, and therefore may want an Arsenal bid this month.

Theres a great article on the whole situation here if anyone wants a bit of further reading - http://www.saintschat.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1204460#1204460

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?article=353232&lid=NewsHeadline&sub=World+Cup+Striker+Signs+for+Gunners&navlid=&sublid=&Title=World+Cup+Striker+Signs+for+Gunners
    World Cup Striker Signs for Gunners
    Emmanuel Adebayor
    Emmanuel Adebayor

Togo international Emmanuel Adebayor has today signed for Arsenal from AS Monaco on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.

Striker Adebayor (21), was the top scorer in the entire African Zone in the 2006 World Cup Qualifiers with 11 goals, helping Togo reach the World Cup Finals for the first time in the country's history.

Emmanuel has been a regular in the AS Monaco team over the past three seasons and was part of the squad which came runners-up in the 2004 UEFA Champions League. Before joining AS Monaco, Adebayor spent two seasons at French side Metz, where he made his first team debut for the club in Ligue 1 at the tender age of 17.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: "Emmanuel Adebayor is a great addition to our squad. He has shown in his performances with Monaco and Togo that he will add great quality to our offensive game. He is tall, good in the air and makes good runs. We are looking forward to him joining the squad when he returns from the African Nations Cup."

Emmanuel Adebayor said: "This is a great day for me. I am joining Arsenal, one of Europe's leading teams, with a squad containing so many great players. I am looking forward to working very hard for the team and I hope I can give the Arsenal fans a lot of enjoyment in the future."

Emmanuel is a member of the Togo squad for the forthcoming African Nations Cup in Egypt and will therefore join up with his new team mates after his participation in this competition. He will wear the Arsenal number 25 shirt.

Player Factfile:
    # Made his first team debut for Metz in French Ligue 1 at the age of 17.
    # UEFA Champions League runner-up with AS Monaco in 2004.
    # Togolese Footballer of the Year in 2004.
    # Finished top scorer for the African Zone in the 2006 World Cup Qualifiers with 11 goals, helping Togo reach the Finals.
    # Member of the Togo squad for the forthcoming African Nations Cup in Egypt.
    # Has already featured in this year's UEFA Champions League, playing for AS Monaco in the Third Qualifying Round against Real Betis.

2 players in 2 days with a real possibility of a 3rd soon. Just when I thought wenger was going to not sign anybody he springs this on us. Have to admit never heard of him so we will have to see what he does. Think he may be a bit of a drogba, not as big though but with a lot more skill. Another one for the future though it seems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

theyre paying 10mil for him?! :eek:

Arsène Wenger - We're gunning for Walcott
    Theo Walcott
    Theo Walcott

By Richard Clarke

Arsène Wenger has entered the race to sign teenage sensation Theo Walcott — but the Arsenal boss is far from crossing the finishing line.

"He's a player we rate," said the manager. "We are looking at him, yes. But I don't need to look too much at him because, personally, I like him.

"It is not at the [financial] numbers suggested [in the media] because we are not in advanced negotiations at all. We are not the only club who are after Theo Walcott but you ask me if I like him, I will say yes.

"It's like when you start a race with 10 other players and you ask me are you hopeful that you will win the race? I will say yes but there are nine others who think the same."

At 16, Walcott is considered to be one of the brightest young talents in the English game. He has not played in the Premiership but was involved in two FA Youth Cup ties with Arsenal in recent years. He was on the bench as a 14-year-old when the two teams met in January 2004 and scored the only goal down on the South Coast in February last season.

"I like the timing of his runs and his determined attitude," said Wenger. "I also like the fact that he can play in different positions up front and that he is calm in front of goal. The composure he shows in decisive moments doesn't change, whether it's in Division One or Premiership - you have that or you don't have that. He has determination as well and electric pace."

Media reports this morning suggested the winger wanted to come to Highbury and that Thierry Henry is hero.

"I'm pleased to hear that," said Wenger. "Thierry is not a bad role model for him. There are similarities. Thierry was a wide player and Theo can play either wide or central as well.

"But from me liking him, him liking the club and the deal being done, there is still a step to go."

Well there you have Wenger is interested, Theo wants to come to Arsenal (Henry is his childhood idol). Chelsea are ment to be interested, but with arsenal he may be playing in the first team maybe in 12-18 months. Cesc got his chance at 17 and Theo Damm well knows that, if your good enough your old enough At Chelesea like SWP he may just rot in the reserves get no chance to impress. Anyway he is not TSO's kind of player IMO

All thats left really is to agree a deal between the 2 clubs. Liverpool are keen to I heard but would Wenger publicly state his interest knowing well what happened to baptista!!

As Arsenal fans say "Wenger Knows...."

theyre paying 10mil for him?!

Who?

Theo Walcott or Emmanuel Adebayor

The fee for Emmanuel is beleived to be around the 4 million mark or so...
    Could be wrong though. Anybody got a link to the whole thing?

ABout Theo

"Ideally we would want Theo to join us straight away. But it would not be a deal-breaker if Southampton say they want him to finish the season there," Wenger said.

This is the most revealing quote of all IMO. If he doesnt make a deal with Arsenal soon Id be shocked, altough as Wenger said the price has to be right and it appears to be the only sticking point left I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

the 16 year old guy, is it 10million for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

£15mil, but id imagine it depends on appearances, goals & international caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jank wrote:

Was that worth it?

JoeSoap I take it your a saints fan?
    How good is this guy? Does he have a good touch or is he just a speed merchant?

Proven seaons in the premiership where rooney was concerned. Walcott has had half a season in the championship. Personnally i think its crazy money. Certainly hope he doesnt turn out like pennant.

As a joke on aprils fools day, did someone tell wenger he cant sign a player over 21? WHen is team is desperatly in need of a experienced midfileder i am amazed hes still signing kids.

Meant to add IF they sign to my first post, was in a rush out the door to work and forgot. I'm very pleased with the Diaby signing, he's cost bugger all but is pretty highly rated. He's french and has been given the #2 shirt so I imagine he'll be thrown straight into the action; he'll be ahead of Song anyway.

Adebayor: hmm. He's been linked for ages but I never thought Arsenal would sign him. He's young and should provide Arsenal with the fabled 'option B', but I would have thought Arsene would go for someone like Samaras instead. Maybe he still will... At least he gives Reyes a target to aim crosses at.

Having thought about it some more, I really hope Wenger goes and gets Walcott. He may be young, but it would be a statement of ambition and a real boost. Either way, the January sales aren't looking quite so depressing now.

jank wrote:
    Theo wants to come to Arsenal (Henry is his childhood idol).

I like the use of "is" instead of "was"! :D

Imagine being valued at £15 million at age 16... Imagine even being valued at that much age 20 ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Walcott is worth every penny of that, its weird ask any Arsenal/PL fan from England about Walcott and they drool. But over here irish fans havent a clue about him. The lads im going to Madrid with have no idea who he is due the media over here not really showing him. "special" is a conservative word for this guy, i only watch southampton when hes playing (sorry joe :D)

Thank god Chelsea didnt get him at least he will get a game now and will fit into the Arsenal team perfectly. Dont think he should go back on loan but in paper says he be training with Arse 2 days a week and playing for Soton. He should be thrown into the 1st team hes that good.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    i only watch southampton when hes playing (sorry joe :D)

Haha, understandable! We're pretty awful to watch other than him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Haha, understandable! We're pretty awful to watch other than him!

& terrible today by all accounts,

i really hope that THEO stays at saints but with Rupert in charge you know he is going to after ££££££££££££££ even if (fingures crossed) in a few years he will be worth 39mil +

but if he dose stay & if Burley can get us to the playoffs, Theo, Dyer, & Blackstock will bring us back to the promised land.

Wenger yesterday:

It was then that the usually composed Arsenal boss had a slip of the tongue. 'We have signed three players this week,' he muttered, before quickly correcting himself and claiming it was only two, with the deal to sign Southampton wonder-kid Theo Walcott almost complete.

'I should correct that to two-and-a-half players,' he said, trying to drown out the belly laughs around the press room. 'Maybe you can expect another signing next week. You never know.'
    hmm!

• Advertisement

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=353557&cpid=8&CLID=3&lid=&title=Gunners+'hold+Rosicky+talks'&channel=english_cups
    Tomas Rosicky's agent says he has held talks with Arsenal regarding a move for the Borussia Dortmund star.

The Czech international's future has been the subject of frenzied speculation after an off-on move to Atletico Madrid, although the midfield maestro has indicated his preference is to move to Highbury.

Also, Philippe Mexes was reportedly at Highbury watching the game yesterday. The plot thickens!

The Mexes one is interesting because Roma still aren't allowed to sign players after the irregularities in the Mexes transfer. Would they want to sell him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Rosicky is a top quality player who I have always been a fan of, if Arsenal do sign hi it will be a great signing athough again this could be pure speculation.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The Mexes one is interesting because Roma still aren't allowed to sign players after the irregularities in the Mexes transfer. Would they want to sell him?

Mexes was heavily linked with Arsenal before he left Auxerre (was linked with Arsenal a year before any other premiership clubs, I remember Man United's name and Liverpool's being thrown around in the end). I remember something about a court case regarding Mexes' contract so that he could leave Auxerre for Arsenal. In the time being Kolo Toure established himself in the Arsenal side and I'm guessing Wenger decided not to bother in the end.

Hopefully these transfers all go ahead. But just why the hell did Wenger not get the chequebook out during the summer?

Yes, but will Roma want to sell when they aren't able to sign anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Rosicky would be a cracking signing for Arsenal, and a player I would love to see in the Premiership.

Exactly the type of experience and craft Arsenal need in the middle, and would be a good mentor for Fabregas.

• Advertisement

Thought I might as well put it here - Henry's showboat vs Boro yesterday, I've seen him do it in training before but never in a game.

http://files.filefront.com/VID0011_EDIT0001AVI/;4617643;;/fileinfo.html

Advertisement