Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre for Development Studies

Options
  • 13-01-2006 4:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Is anyone in this department?

I'm thinking of doing a post grad in Development Studies, just wondering if anyone has any info on it. I looked at the website but sure every website says they're brilliant!!

Just wondering how many people do this? What's involved? What kind of jobs can you get after?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Hi. I got my MSc DevtS from there. What do you want to know?

Classes are, on average, between 40-45 people. A good few of those will probably be foreign students, a handful of them being from developing countries. Usually, about 100 apply, so you have a 50/50 chance of getting in, but with the growth in interest in this area, that number may be growing.

What's involved? Working and having fun, I suppose! You attend lectures (choose four courses), take notes, keep up with the readings and write essays. If you do the masters, you have to write a 25,000 word minor thesis. There are also loads of weekly seminars with guest lecturers to go to. There's a crash course in economics for those who haven't studied it before.

Once you get your degree, presumably you're interested enough to go off and promote development somewhere, home or abroad. Work in development or human rights NGOs is common, further study is another option. Many travel to the developing world with various NGOs. I'll put it this way, of the people I know through the course, a good few are in Sudan, one at the UN in New York, a few going off on UN internships, others in Pakistan, working in Ireland with some NGOs. Some have found it hard finding work, and you really need a marketable skill over and above the MA to get places. It depends on previous experience, what you did your degree in and other skills.

I had a fantastic time doing the course. The staff is great, the whole place feels like family, and the development sector is like one big love in.

So, what else would you like to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

stupefly wrote:
    Is anyone in this department?

I'm thinking of doing a post grad in Development Studies, just wondering if anyone has any info on it. I looked at the website but sure every website says they're brilliant!!

Just wondering how many people do this? What's involved? What kind of jobs can you get after?

Cheers

I've worked closely with the department over the last couple of year due to my involvment in world aid soc few years back.I have to admit they have an absolutely fantastic department,really helpful and all the books you could possibly need in the library.I went to a debate in bewleys back in october and one of the lecturers from devolpment studies in UCD was debating.He was absolutely fantastic so i can only presume you'll have the best of lecturers.I know dave curran the deputy president of the su does development studies so maybe you can email him to get some inside info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

I found they are a bit short on staff, the lectures were too crowded and there weren't any decent seminars or interaction. However, the quality of the staff that were there is excellent but they seem a bit overburdened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stupefly

Thank you guys for the replies. I'm not sure what info I'm after exactly! Just want to learn more about it before I apply. I was looking at the centre in Kimmage as well. They seem to have a similar course.
    This bit gets me worried!
    DadaKopf wrote:
    Some have found it hard finding work, and you really need a marketable skill over and above the MA to get places. It depends on previous experience, what you did your degree in and other skills.

I'll (hopefully) have a good degree in Communications and Irish. I have experience doing development work in Asia. Hopefully I'll be alright!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

m1ke wrote:
    I found they are a bit short on staff, the lectures were too crowded and there weren't any decent seminars or interaction. However, the quality of the staff that were there is excellent but they seem a bit overburdened.
    I agree with what you say. It's a small department, and currently underfunded. While that affects the CDS as a prominent research institution, I still felt the quality of staff is excellent, and class size wasn't an issue. The library is excellent, much better than DCU. I don't know what Kimmage is like. There's also an MA in Humanitarian Assistance run out of the Ag faculty.

I think the CDS will improve now with its being absorbed into the 'School of Politics and International Development'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

a friend of mine is doing it this year. it seems very demanding time-wise but also really rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭stupefly

Thanks guys for all the information. I have one question though, is it possible to do the postgrad, take a few years out and come back and do the masters?
    One of the reasons I want to do it like this is to do more of the subject choices. And I doubt I'd get straight into the masters course.

Advertisement