Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons, Magazines , Prices ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 106 ✭✭J.P.M

How did they try to charge you €10.88 if they didn't tell you that was the price?

The magazine scans in at that from the barcode at the till

thanks

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

J.P.M wrote:
    The magazine scans in at that from the barcode at the till

thanks

JP
    was there a price tag to indicate that it would scan at that over the 8.99 price if so then they not breaking the law

was there a price tag to indicate that it would scan at that over the 8.99 price if so then they not breaking the law

Nope no price tag over it at all. Anyways I thought that ws breaking the law placing a higher price over a lower one printed on the magazine?

Cheers

JP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Cork_girl wrote:
    but don't Eason's own Reads now? Are they going to bump up the prices?

They do now. And their prices are gradually rising to the same levels. In any case Eason's have a monopoly on the distribution of magazines in Ireland. There is only one tiny exception and that is the handful of (mostly) music magazines sold by HMV, Virgin, etc - which sell at less than Eason's charge.

Unfortunately my problem is that with very few exceptions, most subscriptions from the UK still end up at almost the same price unless they are discounting it as a special. It might be a good business proposition some day if somebody could get a toehold into one of the larger retailers, to take on Easons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's not breaking the law. As long as they make you aware of the actual price, which they do at the till when the item is scanned. Any Eason store that I've been into also has scanners out on the shop floor for the customer to use for this very purpose.

They also sometimes have place holder cards with the price on the shelves, but not always.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

J.P.M wrote:
    To be honest all we want is a clear answer. Can Easons charge more than a cover price that is flashed on the magazine? Cover has R.O.I 8.99. I dont care about the government, the publisher,or Easons, or the money! Im going on principals and thats all that matters.

Thanks

JP
    The principle is you should pay the proper taxes on your items. The publisher printed a price on their magazine which was wrongly based on 0% tax rate. The publisher has not addressed this correctly by relabeling there flash price.

Anybody can sell a product regardless of the flash price on it. Those prices and message (i.e. not to be solde seperately) are determined by the manufacturer and not law.

So the principles are you pay your taxes and manufacturers can't dictate to shops their prices.

J.P.M wrote:
    Nope no price tag over it at all. Anyways I thought that ws breaking the law placing a higher price over a lower one printed on the magazine?

Cheers

JP
    no the price is an invitation to treat but if the price differs to that at which they sell it at they must indicate so using what ever means possible so that the customer is informed of such before they actually are asked to pay for it

The principle is you should pay the proper taxes on your items. The publisher printed a price on their magazine which was wrongly based on 0% tax rate. The publisher has not addressed this correctly by relabeling there flash price.

Anybody can sell a product regardless of the flash price on it. Those prices and message (i.e. not to be solde seperately) are determined by the manufacturer and not law.

So the principles are you pay your taxes and manufacturers can't dictate to shops their prices.
    if you reread the OP you will find that they charged him €9something plus tax and i know that the exchange rate from sterling is fixed mothly for magazines so the producer marking a price on it will use this rate so easons are actually overcharging him before they even add on the tax(€8.99 @ tax of 0%)
    so basically they should have charged him €8.99 plus tax and have informed him of this before he reached the checkout and pay for it

if you reread the OP you will find that they charged him €9something plus tax and i know that the exchange rate from sterling is fixed mothly for magazines so the producer marking a price on it will use this rate so easons are actually overcharging him before they even add on the tax(€8.99 @ tax of 0%)
    so basically they should have charged him €8.99 plus tax and have informed him of this before he reached the checkout and pay for it

8.99 * 21% = 1.89
    1.89 + 8.99 = 10.88

Eason have not over charged him. THe publisher WRONGLY thought the tax rate was 0% on their product. The taxman has since come along and said it is 21%. THe publiser did not correct the flash price on the product. The publisher are to blame for the front of the magazine. Maybe Easons have a shelf edge label showing the correct price? If the reciept did not show the correct break down of tax that is all they have done wrong. I would be a bit surprised as their system would have standard tax brackets such as 21% but some systems have a bit of make shift solutions.

8.99 * 21% = 1.89
    1.89 + 8.99 = 10.88

Eason have not over charged him. THe publisher WRONGLY thought the tax rate was 0% on their product. The taxman has since come along and said it is 21%. THe publiser did not correct the flash price on the product. The publisher are to blame for the front of the magazine. Maybe Easons have a shelf edge label showing the correct price? If the reciept did not show the correct break down of tax that is all they have done wrong. I would be a bit surprised as their system would have standard tax brackets such as 21% but some systems have a bit of make shift solutions.

We should not be responsible for the publishers, to be honest as a costomer it is not my problem all I want is the magazine at stated price, and as far from what I can see I am quite entited too.

Cheers

JP

• Advertisement

J.P.M wrote:
    We should not be responsible for the publishers, to be honest as a costomer it is not my problem all I want is the magazine at stated price, and as far from what I can see I am quite entited too.

Cheers

JP
    You said you wanted to know if they could sell the magazine at a different price printed on the cover the answer is yes.
    There may be a shelf edge label giving the correct price. Meaning Eason did the right thing
    You are not responsible for the publisher and neither are Easons.
    You are wrong you are not entiled to magazine at the price just becasue it is printed on the cover. The display at the till which shows the price is considered informing the customer of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I thought all retail businesses had to display their prices with the Vat already added ?

Was there maybe a price displayed on the shelf edge ?

8.99 * 21% = 1.89
    1.89 + 8.99 = 10.88

correct sorry was quoting the OP at the €9 charge didnt work it out for myself

You said you wanted to know if they could sell the magazine at a different price printed on the cover the answer is yes.
    There may be a shelf edge label giving the correct price. Meaning Eason did the right thing
    You are not responsible for the publisher and neither are Easons.
    You are wrong you are not entiled to magazine at the price just becasue it is printed on the cover. The display at the till which shows the price is considered informing the customer of the price.
    all correct and in accordance with the ODCA but do you not think MS that Eason could, from the point of good customer service, go back to the publisher and request that they do not place a price on the magazine as it is not in accordance with VAT etc,Easons supply magazines all over Ireland and supposed this was going to be a popular magazine this could be a headace for easons and other newsagents nationwide and i know the law etc but it would just save a load of grief

Advertisement