Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am sure the solution is simple...

Options
  • 13-01-2006 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am having a problem this morning accessing the net with my wireless connection. It says there is an ip address conflict. I left computer on standby overnight and now it is not working. Here is what I got when I typed ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BussCtre
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-80-B6-F0

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : (ZD1211)IEEE 802.11b+g USB Adapter #
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-2E-5D-B9-D9
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di
    sconnected.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

I tried changing the ip address to 192.168.2.1 which did not help except it changed the wireless icon on the taskbar from having a limited connectivity over it to showing connection although not allowing any pages to be displayed.

The setup here is that I have a netopia router wired to a station and I am picking up the router wirelessly. I tried simply 'repairing' the connection but nothing happened except a time out trying to acquire the IP address.

I know it is something very basic so apologies if it seems like a stupid thing to ask.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Try changing the ip address to 192.168.1.10.

192.168.1.1 is probably your gateway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hyperlink

Tried that but again there is the "this page cannot be displayed" message. I know that the computer should obtain the ip address automatically. Should I go and check another computer that is working on the same wireless network and copy their settings for ip and just change the numbers slightly so that it does not conflict or have I got this whole conflict thinking skewed?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

If it should obtain it automatically, don't give it a fixed ip address.

That is exactly the problem it is not doing that at all. It gives the error "this problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer" when i ask it to obtain the ip address automatically:confused:

Actually every now and then I get a bubble message in the taskbar saying that there is an ip conflict with another computer on the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like someone who shouldn't be is using your wireless lan maybe? Do you have it encrypted or open? Failing that, try restarting whatever device is acting as the DHCP server - usually a broadband router of some kind in home/soho situations.

See I knew it was simple. I had never noticed the router outside my office had a reset button. Everything working again now and to answer the encrypted thing i know a password key is required but it is never changed and so it probably is someone guessing the password which should be changed but it is not my responsibility or liability I just wanted to be able to get back to work. Thanks for all the help.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

hyperlink wrote:
    See I knew it was simple. I had never noticed the router outside my office had a reset button. Everything working again now and to answer the encrypted thing i know a password key is required but it is never changed and so it probably is someone guessing the password which should be changed but it is not my responsibility or liability I just wanted to be able to get back to work. Thanks for all the help.:D

not yours until they go poking around your private info :D

. . . . if they haven't already . . . .

Advertisement