Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a mobile home in the city

Options
  • 13-01-2006 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about moving a mobile home I have into the garden of a property I have in the city. It is basically an appartment with two bedrooms (one ensuite), another bathroom and a kitchen come living room. It has central heating and would be plumbed to main services etc. I was going to rent it as a place suitable for a single parent or somebody on thier own or maybe a couple.

Do you think anybody would be interested.

Before anybody goes mental about the thought of a caravan, this is a mobile home that is a very high standard of equipment and in fact probably in better condition than the georgian house I rent. Unless you have been in one you really can't comment on it.

The idea is partcially to do with getting planning permission.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it rated for winter living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Victor wrote:
    Is it rated for winter living?

Yeap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

What area in which city? I cant think of your neighbours being too pleased about a big ol' mobile home being shipped in. Do you intend on putting it in the front or back of the house? I think the rent would have to be pretty reasonable....have you rung any estate agents to test the waters?
    I wouldnt rent one I dont think - no matter how reasonable the rent - Pure stigma I know, I know - and I wouldnt be 100% on the ssecurity of it either.

My understanding up to a few years back was that caravans and boats could only be kept on the same curtilage for up to 9 months of any year, and anything longer than that required planning. Dunno if recent changes in planning legislatoin changed that rule. An engineer should be able to tell you the position very quickly

Dellgirl wrote:
    What area in which city? I cant think of your neighbours being too pleased about a big ol' mobile home being shipped in. Do you intend on putting it in the front or back of the house? I think the rent would have to be pretty reasonable....have you rung any estate agents to test the waters?
    I wouldnt rent one I dont think - no matter how reasonable the rent - Pure stigma I know, I know - and I wouldnt be 100% on the ssecurity of it either.

Dublin City Centre
    I don't particularly care for my neighbour who would really be the only one effected.
    I am just try to balance out some costs and tax elements so the actual rent value may actually mean charging rent that nobody would pay may in fact benifit me. I love the tax laws here. I have to store it somewhere so if I can write of tax against it I will but I would prefer to actually provide a service and get my planning permission.

• Advertisement

I am just try to balance out some costs and tax elements so the actual rent value may actually mean charging rent that nobody would pay may in fact benifit me. I love the tax laws here. I have to store it somewhere so if I can write of tax against it I will but I would prefer to actually provide a service and get my planning permission

I actually had to read that 3 times before I understood it! Do you have it purely for tax purposes?

On anotherhand, I dont think it will last 5 mins in the city centre before its broken into or robbed or grafittied. Insurance would be pretty large no? Pikeys will have it and anyone in it carted off before you can blink!

Dellgirl wrote:
    I actually had to read that 3 times before I understood it! Do you have it purely for tax purposes?
    Former holiday home. I either sell it, store it or use it else where.
    Dellgirl wrote:
    On anotherhand, I dont think it will last 5 mins in the city centre before its broken into or robbed or grafittied. Insurance would be pretty large no? Pikeys will have it and anyone in it carted off before you can blink!

Maybe you don't know what parts of the city centre are like. That is a bit like suggesting somebody will break into your garden and smash up your shed or actually your house. As I said it is big. This things doesn't hook on to a car so theft would need to be very organised. People could break in my front door as easily as break into this. No impossible but no more a risk than anything else.

Maybe you don't know what parts of the city centre are like. That is a bit like suggesting somebody will break into your garden and smash up your shed or actually your house. As I said it is big. This things doesn't hook on to a car so theft would need to be very organised. People could break in my front door as easily as break into this. No impossible but no more a risk than anything else.

MS - The pikeys bit was a joke! The first bit - not so much - I think it will represent a challenge to the local knacks. Id go 50/50 on being right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I assume it's hidden from view from the front?
    what kind of access would a tenant have? i.e. through your house, or is there side access?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Are you going to keep it out the front or back garden?

I think if it were out the back and your house had a side entrance some young couple starting off might rent it or students maybe.

If it were out the front I doubt that would work out.

• Advertisement

Yes it in the back garden. It also would have it's own entrance. I plan on building there over the next year or two. It is secure and secluded enough

Advertisement