Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - BT broadband connection problem

• 13-01-2006 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I’ve got BT broadband and it’s been working fine for the past month but last night I started to have a problem. I cannot get a broadband connection. My PC’s Ethernet connection to the BT modem has problems acquiring an address via dhcp and eventually gives up and says the network cable is unplugged.
    I’ve got a dual boot PC and also tried it with my linux partition but got same result.
    Checked and reset the cables just in case.
    The BT broadband modem (Zyzel ) shows the DSL light on but the PPP light is always off. My phone line works fine as well so looks like the incoming line is fine.
    I did manage at one point to acquire an IP address but was getting over 50% loss when pinging any remote sites.
    I’m planning on bringing home my work laptop tonight to try that but just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem and also any hints with troubleshooting the Zyzel . (e.g. I notice it’s got a reset option – could I use this and go through initial set up again?)
    Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Something similar has been happening to me for the past week or so. Connections keep dropping for the first couple of hours that I'm on but after that it seems to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

Sounds like a fault with your router/pc.
    Since you've had it a month i presume u have a Zyxel P600 Series Router.
    Have you tried the USB connection? This will rule out the LAN ports.

If not reset the router - hold the reset button in until the DSL light disappears! :eek:

Then start from scratch..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

yup i had this issue too and im still gettin a dropped connection every now and again. was onto esat and they claim its my issue but im now using a netgear modem whereas yesterday i was using the zyxel and i got the same issues with both. i fink its an esat issue to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whereabouts are you? I've just come back from a client in the Blackrock area who's with EsatBT and her modem was playing up ... connections dropping (DSL light going out, flashing, reconnecting, going out again) every few minutes and then reconnecting, dreadful respose times when connected. It seemed to have sorted itself by the time I had left.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i'm in swords myself but all seems ok now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

Sorted it out. Turns out the onboard ethernet adapter I was using died.
    Tried it on the laptop and it worked fine. Just finished setting up the USB connection and its now working fine.

Thanks for all the help - I was breaking out in cold sweats at the thought of having to ring ESAT BT support.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dwoodgate

having similar problems in d15 with constant resetting for hours on end and then works fine for a while before starting again.....
    yesterdasy for example worked ok all day untl 5pm and then dsl line started resetting constantly until late...today sat it is working again but no idea for how long

zyxel modem. XP home...

Advertisement