Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network hub for 2 computer with broadband

Options
  • 13-01-2006 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

I am going to get broadband in the next few weeks hopefully. I have two computers in two seperate room. I have them connected via a network cable that runs across in the attic. I would like to have both of them connected to the broadband at once.

Do I need a hub ? what is the best (value and performance) one on the market?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Some broadband routers have more than one Ethernet socket. If yours does, that's all you should need.

So I hear, anyway (can't get broadband myself, see...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

That would save me a few quid if it were the case.

But if they didnt can you recommend a broadband router/hub ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Who are you going to get broadband with ?

I got the Netopia 3374NWG router with Eircom. It has 4 network ports and is also wireless.

Sounds like you are going to need one or two rather long network cables to connect your PCs to the router. At the moment, presumably you're using a cross over cable which won't work with the router.

Linksys is a good brand anywho if you are going to go out and buy a router.

Yeah, its a cross over cable. I intedend to go with Net1 broadband if all goes to plan. Having wireless would be good too since the laptop has a wireless card

should i go for the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

What I would do is wait until I get the BB package and see what is included. Then you only have to wait a week or so if you do want to order the Linksys.

You could also ring the tech. support for Net1 and ask them what routers they role out to users.

The WRT54G is a good router but don't make any hasty decisions. You could get all you need from Net1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Hi Maskhadov,

I don't know what Net1 supply, but as mentioned a lot of ISPs provide a router with their BB these days. Most of them have a switch or hub inside them, and most of them will be able to autodetect the crossover cable and use that too. A little research should be able to answer all these questions for you.

Zab.

hey there guys ! thanks a million for all the help. Im going to ask a bit first :)

Advertisement