Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR (Possible Spoilers)

Options
  • 13-01-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I just finished it. Great in many regards, and the ending was certainly very cinematic. But was it just me or did the story lack much of a resolution? Im fairly sure I understood it, it just seemed a little...flat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Thought it was a better ending than some of the other fps game tbh.

Nicely set up for a sequel imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I liked the ending.
    near the end I was hoping they wouldn't try to finish it with a stupid boss fight (it wouldn't suit the story) and they didn't. I really liked the part when you climb outside and the town tears apart, nicely done. The ending ending made me jump, got a nice screenshot of it too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I loved the ending as well.

Have to agree as well Koneko
    great that there was no boss fight. If it isn't called metroid prime then they just aren't going to work in a FPS.

Didn't mind that there was a lack of variety in the bad guys. The AI reacted in so many different ways that every firefight was different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I really liked FEAR, but the story went all over the place to no particular end. And the ending was indeed cool.
    Standing there watching the shockwave of the reactor explosion hurtling towards you was very nice indeed. On the other hand, the fat guy with the RTFM belt-buckle was a useless addition and should never have been included.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nice to see people waiting all the way through the credits for that final bit of conversation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The more impressed I am by a game the more obliged I feel to watch the credits. So I gave FEAR the respect of lwatching them. Also had a sneaking suspicion they'd throw something interesting in at the very end.

Also, didn't you think it was so cool
    when you had that dream sequence, and Fettel is kneeling there, and you just shoot him. I loved that in the end the freaky stalker was just a man and I killed him with a single bullet.

Zillah wrote:
    The more impressed I am by a game the more obliged I feel to watch the credits. So I gave FEAR the respect of lwatching them. Also had a sneaking suspicion they'd throw something interesting in at the very end.

Also, didn't you think it was so cool
    when you had that dream sequence, and Fettel is kneeling there, and you just shoot him. I loved that in the end the freaky stalker was just a man and I killed him with a single bullet.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!
    No way was Fettel "just a man" -- don't you remember him being all over the place? I tell you, from the way he was smirking before you shoot him, he WANTED you to kill him. I think Alma told him to.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Whoa, whoa, whoa!
    No way was Fettel "just a man" -- don't you remember him being all over the place? I tell you, from the way he was smirking before you shoot him, he WANTED you to kill him. I think Alma told him to.

What an annoying conversation this will be for people who dont want to read spoilers.
    Fettel wasn't "all over the place". He was in two places. One, where he was standing, and two, inside your head. Thats it. And in the end he was just a guy with mental tricks who dies when you shoot him in the head. I don't remember a smirk....

Zillah wrote:
    What an annoying conversation this will be for people who dont want to read spoilers.
    Fettel wasn't "all over the place". He was in two places. One, where he was standing, and two, inside your head. Thats it. And in the end he was just a guy with mental tricks who dies when you shoot him in the head. I don't remember a smirk....
    But why would he serenely let you shoot him? He didn't even put up a fight! Spooky...

Because his skills were psychically controlling an army of soldiers and screwing people's heads with his mental powers. He also ate people and tortured people, but only once his clones had subdued them. You, however, had the skill of being the most horrifyingly competant gun user in the world. He wouldn't stand a chance against you. I suspect he hoped you'd never actually catch up with him.

Then again I might be wrong, but thats how I like to see it. Its also possible it just doesn't make complete sense. Why did he spare you at the start? Why didn't Alma melt you like she did everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I thought Alma would have spared you because she was your mum - she does mention that she knew you were always her son at the end. But then the cow was trying to kill me with her ghosts all game long as well so I guess she didnt kill you because the game would be over mighty fast if she had.

I thought in terms of story, it really played far too much out early on. In the very first level they tell you that your birth was in a Armacham hospital, so its blatant from the first 10 minutes that youre a result of Origin. It blabbed its KOTOResque plot twister before you even had time to settle in. The only red herring they had was trying to make you think Alma was the first prototype.

As for Fettell, all he wanted to do was free Alma, Harlan was well on his way to doing that, and by the end of the game I reckon roughly 1000 clones have been killed so hes all out of backup except for those last 3. So mission accomplished for him, and his usefulness is over. He sounded triumphant to me that he had engineered Almas release.

And did anyone figure out why Fettell was munching on every corpse lying around? That was never explained to my satisfaction. He ate some scientist at the start, and his/your auntie at the end. And Ive no idea why, its not like there wasnt vending machines around.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Sand wrote:
    And did anyone figure out why Fettell was munching on every corpse lying around? That was never explained to my satisfaction. He ate some scientist at the start, and his/your auntie at the end. And Ive no idea why, its not like there wasnt vending machines around.

By eating their flesh he was able to access there memory's

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

If you have finished the game the following site explains the plot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.E.A.R._(computer_game)

Advertisement