Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Problems with Ripwave

• 13-01-2006 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Ok, before anyone says anything, I know the reputation Ripwave has but hey - it's cheap and it can't be any slower / more temperamental that the UTVIP dial up connection we've had for the last couple of years.
    :(

Having said that, got the Ripwave box delivered last night (only 6 days after sign up - impressive!) but can't get a signal. Also realised that I don't know a thing about wireless and now might be a good time to learn!

We're based in Stoneybatter so surely the coverage should be pretty good but our house is one of the Coronation St style terraces with a very bad rep for mobile phone signals (though still usuable) so I'm wondering what the best option is (bearing in mind having only just got the thing I'd like to stick with what I have for the time being)

Any ideas?

Cheers!
    Sesheta

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If mobile reception is bad on all carriers it looks bad, very bad.

A solution is to get an aerial out a window , front or back . Will it give you a signal in the middle of the road outside, if not then hand it back to them inside your trial period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Sesheta

I was afraid of that! I haven't quite tried every room in the house yet. Mobile coverage varies from woeful to 5 bars near the front of the house. Also it doesn't help that my phone's a bit knackered and has been known to struggle for a signal on Grafton Street! I'm presuming I wouldn't have the same problems with cable / satellite services?

Not going to give up on the Ripwave until I absolutely have to though! NTL sounds like the best bet but I don't think we can get it yet to a month to month sub sounds like a good idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sesheta wrote:
    Not going to give up on the Ripwave until I absolutely have to though!

Get NTL if you can !

An Australian person explained your odds of getting a functional Ripwave (its in Sydney too).
    Of the 25,000 current Unwired users, 10,000 to 15,000 have performed the secret Navini Ripwave "I am a tree here, I am a tree there" dance. 5,000 got lucky the first time they plugged it in. Maybe another 5,000 used established Feng Shui principles involving potplant, mirror and waterfeature placement. About 4,000 employed vicious, gratuitous swearing ( my category ) Approximately 1000 people signed a 12 month contract in order to save $200, got distracted during the trial period, & have left the wabbit in a drawer until the next time they change rental flats & have gone back to 28k dial-up. 27 have been abducted by aliens or have spontaneously combusted. 5 were rejected by the aliens & post regularly here

Those odds are probably worse in stone and brick Stoneybatter than in more Timber Framed Sydney . Feng Shui works a lot better than IBB tech support as you probably know by now :D

Advertisement