Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from IBB to ntl

• 13-01-2006 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

I'm fed up with the non performance of my IBB subscription for 1mb Breeze. I have had this service for about 14 months so I believe that I am not contracted any longer to keep it on. I hear that ntl broadband is available in my estate in Clonsilla. My issue is that I am using a Linksys router to share the IBB connection between 2 pcs. The IBB box is connected to the router by ethernet. Will I be able to connect the ntl box in the same way or how will I go about sharing the connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

joolsveer wrote:
    I'm fed up with the non performance of my IBB subscription for 1mb Breeze. I have had this service for about 14 months so I believe that I am not contracted any longer to keep it on. I hear that ntl broadband is available in my estate in Clonsilla. My issue is that I am using a Linksys router to share the IBB connection between 2 pcs. The IBB box is connected to the router by ethernet. Will I be able to connect the ntl box in the same way or how will I go about sharing the connection?

Ntl will supply you with a cable modem - this is set up by the ntl engineer - the mac address of the modem is 'authorised' on the ntl network.

When the modem is powered up it 'connects' to the network.

Just plug the ethernet cable from the modem in to the wan port of the router and away you go ...

Depending on the type of Linksys router ... you need to use either :

1) Do not obtain IP address (or some wording like that ... can't remember :))

or

2) Obtain IP address - DHCP

Set in the basic setup menu.

Note : If you use option 2 - then you need to power up the router LAST ! as the router does not establish a connection until you request connection to net from your pc - give it a try !

Cut a long story short - yes it will work :)

Advertisement