Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up Movies to HD?

Options
  • 13-01-2006 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before, but just looking for some advice.

I have a laptop and an extra External HD, which I am planning to use, to back up my CD and DVD collection, in case accidents happen.

What would the techies on here advise I use to do this with DVDs?
    Something obviously that would retain a good quality copy, easily transfered onto a DVD or VCD back up if need be.

I was advised DVD Santa, and downloaded that. But I can't seem to figure out a straight rip option...perhaps I need to spend more time fiddling with it, or perhaps it's not what I am looking for.

Any advice purleease?

x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I would be interested in this aswell, as at the moment I back up my DVD's using a free trial download from : www.dvd-x-backup.com - it saves them in perfect quality, but are very large in size (averaging 6gig) and I was hoping for an easier tool that I could back onto a DVD RW?

Anyone want to provide an easy step by step guide for people like us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Addition:

Im just remembered that I have a DVD RW at home - will the software with it just allow me to simply back up a Film DVD to another DVD?

Do I actually need to use a dvd back up software from the web if I have a dvd re writer

Please excuse my ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Apip99

Pataman wrote:

Thanks Pataman,

been looking for something simple,a nd this looks the kiddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

yeah, dvdshrink is a v.good app.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

dvddecrypter ftw tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

DVD Decrypter and then encode to Divx using Auto Gordian knot.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Have a look at ratDVD if you want to have a simple backup of a whole DVD as a single file on the HD.

It's not perfect, and it throws away AC3 and DTS soundtracks, but it keeps the DVD structure and is simple to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Thanks for the tips Pataman, PH and Lump!

I'll have a look at those recommended programs over the weekend and give them a try :D

Advertisement