Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wiring a home phone socket.

Options
  • 13-01-2006 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me how to rewire a home phone socket?
    I think my broadband is slow because it's badly wired at the wall.
    Diagrams would also be great!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

The phone and BB only use 2 wire (twisted pair), usually the wires are red and green. Use a phone to test which way round the wires should go in your house. Have the wires connected wrongly will not damage the phone.

After that make sure you are using a DSL filter on the connection where the phone is to be connected. The actual DSL connection can be connected with out a filter.

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

You will not need to worry about the wiring codes at all. If you are replacing the socket that your DSL modem is connected to, then this is what you do.

Take off the old socket and note the two wires connected to the terminals, the other two are usualy not connected. These are the active wires and on the common eircom socket will be connected to L1 and L2 on the top right, on cheap, DIY sockets they will be connected to the RED and GREEN wires. Just wire the new socket in so that the active wires are connected to either the GREEN and RED wires, or the wires leading to the middle two pins on the connecter.

I will post a picture later if I can find a good example. When you wire it, plug in a phone and if you get a dial tone, it works, if not, swap the wires and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

great stuff lads, thanks!

Advertisement