Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silencing BEEP when booting up...

• 13-01-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Seems trivial, but does anyone know of a way of silencing the BEEP which seems to happen between the BIOS loading up and windows loading when booting? It was suggested setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound\beeps to 0 - tried but to no avail, have "no sounds" as sound scheme in control panel too, it's beginning to annoy me (and possibly other people in the library too:) ... any idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

this a single beep or a series of beeps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'll be in the BIOS.

In all honesty, turning this off is a bad idea. The beep signifies that the PC is OK. If you turn it off, you won't be able to hear the error beeps if there is an issue (overheating, damaged RAM, dodgy Mobo etc.).

yep but i think error beeps will beep even if u silence the startup beep.

tbh, I don't think a single beep as u boot up would even register with me if I was beside you in the library. Now having to hear the Windows intro sound all the time would....

Reminds me of a video clip of a guy in a college library who has a boot up sound that lasts over a minute...... Twas funny in a nerdy way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're booting every 2 minutes to check if the beep is gone, of course you'll piss people off! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Plug out the motherboard speaker
    Open the case Find the wires the come from the front of the case
    IT's the red and black twisted together.

Plug it out - it's grand
    If your bios fails your pc won't boot so if it won't boot at any stage plug it back in to see if there are any warning beeps.
    I have mine permanently out.

• Advertisement

wouldn't recommend that course of action unless u know what ur doing. espec in a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 slocanny

>a single beep or a series of beeps? -
    Just a single beep, kinda loud, though...
    error beeps will beep even if u silence the startup beep - so there IS a way to silence the startup beep then??

If the beeps are from the BIOS then you need to diagnose the problem first - before you hide it - /CM
    >Plug out the motherboard speaker
    ^ this does sound a bit drastic, I think I'd sooner just make judicious use of the headphone socket instead...
    Cheers though...

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

was suggested setting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound\beeps to 0 - tried but to no avail, have "no sounds" as sound scheme in control panel too

None of these are going to work as they are Windows settings and have nothing to do with the bios startup.
    so there IS a way to silence the startup beep then??

Just have a look around in your BIOS for the option to turn it off. It might be there it might not, depends on your BIOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

egan007 wrote:
    I have mine permanently out.
    Oooh er (etc) :v:

Yeah I don't even have a system speaker in my PC... hooray for motherboard post-code LEDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

slocanny wrote:
    >Plug out the motherboard speaker
    ^ this does sound a bit drastic, I think I'd sooner just make judicious use of the headphone socket instead...
    Cheers though...

I would not suggest it if i tought your computer was going to break :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fire up the computer
    Press F8 to get windows startup menu. ( which type of windows )

If the beep happens before this then most likely Hardware, check the BIOS ( F2 , Del , Esc , F1 )

If it is software, then if windows 95 or 98 step by step to see where the beep occurs, eg: some antivirus products used to beep if you had a virus, echo control G makes a beep in batch files

If NT --- Xp then safe mode, if no beep then may be a startup app.

Advertisement