Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'International Football Consultant'

• 13-01-2006 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Another €250,000 of the taxpayers money down the drain. The FAI have no moral fibre whatsoever. Good luck Steve. I pity you having to work for these fools.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

tax payers money?

anywho... I had to laugh at Bobby Robson's title alright.. 'International football consultant'. I reckon he didn't want an assistant manager title..

I would like to see staunton prove everyone wrong. Who knows? It could work really well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I presume a large chunk of the FAI's money is funded by the Government? Maybe I'm wrong?
    Anyway......
    Staunton confirmed as new Republic boss
    13/01/2006 - 14:54:44
    http://breaking.tcm.ie/2006/01/13/story239512.html

Steve Staunton has been confirmed as the new manager of the Republic of Ireland.

Due to Staunton’s lack of managerial experience, he will be assisted by Bobby Robson, with the former England manager taking up a position as ‘international football consultant’.

Staunton’s backroom team includes Kevin MacDonald as coach, with the 45-year-old retaining his role as Aston Villa reserve-team manager, and former Republic number one Alan Kelly as goalkeeping coach.

The Football Association of Ireland's decision ends a three-month search after opting not to renew Brian Kerr's contract following his failure to guide Ireland to this summer's World Cup finals.

A host of high-profile names had previously been linked with the vacancy, notably Martin O’Neill, Alex Ferguson and Terry Venables.

But the FAI have instead opted for an unlikely double act in Staunton - Ireland’s most-capped player with 102 appearances to his name – and Robson.

Staunton said: “I’m delighted and proud to be appointed Irish international team manager.

“I know that the calibre of the team I have will bring a huge range of experience and talent to the challenges that lie ahead. I can’t wait to get started.

“I hope that the drive, passion and commitment that we have can reflect the Irish fans’ real love for the game and have an impact, not just on the squad, but on the nation.”
    click here...

Staunton celebrates his 37th birthday in six days time, while Robson will be 73 next month, with his experience seen as crucial.

Robson said “I am really looking forward to working with the new manager and his team.

“Steven’s record and reputation speak for themselves and I am delighted t help and advise Steven in any way he sees fit.

“I am totally confident the Irish international team has a really bright future.”

Although Staunton is regarded as a hero by supporters after a 13-year international career that included three World Cups, news of his impending appointment this past week has been met with a lukewarm response.

But FAI chief executive John Delaney is confident the duo can deliver.

“Steven has impressed people for many years with his attitude, commitment, dedication and his unrivalled knowledge of the dressing room,” said Delaney.

“He is highly respected, a natural motivator and I am confident he will make an excellent manager.

“Bobby brings a magnificent wealth of experience to his role as advisor in addition to his renowned passion and enthusiasm for the game.

“His knowledge, experiencand advice will be a valuable asset to Steven.

“The combination of talents, experience, knowledge, motivational skills and passion which this team brings to the management of the senior squad is utterly compelling.”

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

I'm kinda suprised that he got rid of Packie as goalkeeping coach. Thought they would be mates after playing together. Maybe he just wants to put his own stamp in things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Is packie still working for the fai so? he was doing some youth development thing as well wasnt he? where was alan kelly coaching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.fai.ie/article004.html
    A bit off topic, but worth a notice.... the above is the FAIs official press release.
    Notice that "Sir" has been used every time for Bobby Robson.
    Such heraldic titles have no relevance in our jurisdiction (ie - Tony O'Reilly is never called Sir unless his rival media competitors like to wind him up).
    I think most of the media here haven't really used it yet.
    It'll be interesting to see who keeps the "Sir" and who leaves it out.

(Btw, let me make it clear, that this isnt an anti British / Royalty thing).

just checked Irish news sites and none seems to have used the title...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i will never refer to him as sir
    robby bobson will do

edit - can i also add it is not anti british either, he earned that title in his own country not this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

ever get the feeling theres 100 monkeys typing on 100 typewriters in the FAI offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why the **** didn't they just do the sensible thing and go for Venables? Even if they do get lucky and Staunton proves to be a hit, it will have nothing to do with Delaney and his cronies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why the **** didn't they just do the sensible thing and go for Venables? Even if they do get lucky and Staunton proves to be a hit, it will have nothing to do with Delaney and his cronies.

Because they are too greedy to part with a few extra quid. It might put their first class trip to the World Cup in jeopardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

YOus salte the FAI for spending money on getting bobby robson in, then slate them for not spending any to get Venables?

makes sense...

• Advertisement
Advertisement