Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Digital on an LCD!!

• 13-01-2006 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭

Hi,

am getting an LCD for the Bedroom, was wondering what NTL Digital is like on one??

I am considering getting Sky+ in the main room )on my brand spanking Pioneer 436 XDE which I just ordered today!!) and bedroom but if NTL was ok I could reconsider!!

Cheers

Branners

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I'd love to know too. Going to be getting one tomorrow, and want to ensure I'm not buying something which will show off the bad MPEG2 encoding used by NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

I'd love to know too. Going to be getting one tomorrow, and want to ensure I'm not buying something which will show off the bad MPEG2 encoding used by NTL.

What LCD you gettin patrickmooney??

Come on lads someone must have NTL with an LCD!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

branners69 wrote:
    What LCD you gettin patrickmooney??

Come on lads someone must have NTL with an LCD!!

Well most people who i know who have ntl on a lcd say its crap, thats when they compare it to a sky picture.

I personally havnt seen a NTL digital picture on an LCD yet, plasma yes, but not LCD.

Sparky-s wrote:
    Well most people who i know who have ntl on a lcd say its crap, thats when they compare it to a sky picture.

I personally havnt seen a NTL digital picture on an LCD yet, plasma yes, but not LCD.

Cheers Sparky-s, what was it like on the plasma??

branners69 wrote:
    Cheers Sparky-s, what was it like on the plasma??

well i seen sky sports on it and i wasnt impressed, being used to a picture direct from sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭pastor

branners69 wrote:
    Hi,

am getting an LCD for the Bedroom, was wondering what NTL Digital is like on one??

I am considering getting Sky+ in the main room )on my brand spanking Pioneer 436 XDE which I just ordered today!!) and bedroom but if NTL was ok I could reconsider!!

Cheers

Branners

Hi Branners

Great news on the TV when is it due? Did you sort out the issues on the warranty? As far as NTL goes I am not too impressed with it on my plasma (Hitachi 32", non HD) The bit rate seems very low and for a lot of channels it really shows on the plasma the same actully goes for some channels on Sky particularly the secondary channels eg discovery. If you are going for Sky HD int he future you may be better waiting for the new box, using it in your living room and then getting another card and use your sky+ box in the bedroom.

Thanks

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

#Elites wrote:
    Im using NTL digi with a 36" Flat LCD samsung TV and its great:)

Hey Elites,

Can you tell me what Model Sammy you have?

And if all NTL digi stations are good quality?
    I heard that some of the channel are compressed differently eg sports and movies. Is the quality the same for all the channels.

Cheers,
    Quazzy

Also, does anyone know if NTL are bringing a HD service to our emerald isle?

pastor wrote:
    Hi Branners

Great news on the TV when is it due? Did you sort out the issues on the warranty? As far as NTL goes I am not too impressed with it on my plasma (Hitachi 32", non HD) The bit rate seems very low and for a lot of channels it really shows on the plasma the same actully goes for some channels on Sky particularly the secondary channels eg discovery. If you are going for Sky HD int he future you may be better waiting for the new box, using it in your living room and then getting another card and use your sky+ box in the bedroom.

Thanks

Paul

Cheers for all the replies lads.. am still in two minds what to do, maybe I'll just get Sky+ in both rooms but I know her indoors will kick off cos she cant watch Big Brother on Channel 4 if I do that!!

@ Pastor

I have sent you a PM with all the details of my new system, I dont want to make any of the lads here too jealous:D

By the way I saw the Philip 32F9830 LCD in action in Powercity, looked superb on the Philips test dvd but when I asked your man to put the tv signal through it, it was so bad.. I couldnt believe it.. Unless you are looking at everything at a very HD level I couldnt spend the €3000 or so they are looking for it!!

@ Quazzy

I havent heard of NTL bringing HD to Ireland, was there not something about it costing too much to upgrade the cabling??

branners69 wrote:

@ Quazzy

I havent heard of NTL bringing HD to Ireland, was there not something about it costing too much to upgrade the cabling??

Tanx Branners. I have just emailed ntl as well to see what they say. I couldn't find anything on their website.

I would image that they will have to do it eventually. then again I could alway be wrong - it happens occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have NTL digital on a plasma and I find it great bar some of the lesser known channels which have obvious higher compressions rates. However I have seen the same plasma showing Sky and I didn't notice any difference. LCD will be better with darker shows. Star trek shows are noticably disappointing on the plasma - they seem to be particularly dark in general.

Hi All,

I emailed NTL and asked about rolling out a HDTV service and here is the reply.

Thank you for your email. As per our Marketing Department they have
    advised the following regarding your query :

Support for Hi Definition is part of our development roadmap at ntl
    Ireland and we plan to have services available by the end of 2006.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
    on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards
    ntl Customer Support

Won't have the World Cup but you can't have everything

quazzy wrote:
    Hi All,

I emailed NTL and asked about rolling out a HDTV service and here is the reply.

Thank you for your email. As per our Marketing Department they have
    advised the following regarding your query :

Support for Hi Definition is part of our development roadmap at ntl
    Ireland and we plan to have services available by the end of 2006.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
    on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards
    ntl Customer Support

Won't have the World Cup but you can't have everything

Not bad, lets hope they will have their PVR out aswell like the UK will ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I just got rid of NTL in favour of sky... Much better pic on my plasma. Was one of the reasons i got it, that n the fact that im at war with ntl

I'm gonna get sky in both rooms.. I reckon the NTL signal will do my nut in!!

Cheers for all the replies lads!!

yeah deffo sky FTW, all the movies and sports are at high bitrates for broadcast, unlike the likes of MTV ukgold etc, but still a better increase on PQ compared to NTL.

Advertisement