Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly very stupid question :)

• 13-01-2006 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it would be possible to take a PC complete with it's USB ADSL modem (used on EsatBT ADSL) from where it lives, and plug it into a phone line that is enabled for Eircom ADSL (and have it work as well, that is!) ? What if the PC in question is usually connected to Eircom instead of EsatBT?

The reason I ask is that I fix PC's for other people, and in many cases they're so fcuked up that the best course of action is to bring them home with me and do the work in peace here. I usually need a BB connection to do this for updates etc. If the PC already has an Ethernet connection then there's no problem, I just plug it into my own router and I'm away, but otherwise connecting to my own BB connection would involve installing (albeit temporarily) either an ethernet card or a WiFi USB dongle. I can do this, but I like to keep the installation of unnecessary stuff on someone elses PC to a minimum.

So any ideas? Has anyone actually tried this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

should be possible...
    both are ADSL products ( in fact both are an identical product since BT is reselling eircom ), you should just need to input the correct settings for the different provider

Advertisement