Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL and in house wireless?

• 13-01-2006 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

hi guys and gals,

A friend of mine currently has NTL broadband, Is there a way this can be converted to wireless?

I know i cant get a conventional router cause ntl use a cable coming in not a phone line?

Any advice/experiences appreciated

cheers

d

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Buy a non-DSL router. This will connect to NTL via cat 5 not phone line.

Cable -> Cable Modem -> cat 5 -> router.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Hi,

I think you've got a DSL router in mind.

NTL provide a cable modem which you plug into the TV socket. This has an ethernet socket on the back which you's normally plug into the NIC on your PC. However, you can plug this into a wireless router instead, eg http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306148&cks=PRL This will also act as a 4-port switch so you can plug your PC straight in with another network cable.

a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

fuller,

if i use ur idea my lan post on the ntl modem will be used so then pc and laptop would both need wireless cards. is that right?

would this be something i could use?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=317039&cks=PRL

or a wireless 4 port router/card bundle from argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

No, I meant that you can plug your PC into the back of the WiFi router I mentioned, since it has a combined 4-port switch.

To expand on what paulm said:

Cable modem: Cable (coax) in, ethernet out
    Wifi router: BB ethernet in, 4 ethernets out + wifi out

So just use some CAT-5 to connect the modem to the BB input of the Wifi router. You can then connect up to 4 devices to the router by CAT-5 cables, and/or use wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

sound got ya,

and the settings stay with the modem?

what settings would be needed for the router itself?

thanks for the advise, appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement