Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting In A Kitchen

Options
  • 13-01-2006 5:46pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Gentlemen & Gentle Ladies :p

I am about to embark on the task of installing our kitchen. My dad & man of much knowledge!!! has unexpectedly had to have an op and will be out of action for up to 3 weeks SOO I have decided to take on this.

Some questions please, I don't want to be annoying him in hospital!!!
    I have a layout plan and the carcasses assembled.

1. The floor units- when I put them in, do they bolt or clip together or anything or is a case that when you put on the worktop this holds it all together??

If I do what clips do I need.

2. Putting up the wall units, how are these hung, as in do you screw threw into the walls or are there hanging clips and that to hang them on.

Any pointers please on installing I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

yop wrote:
    1. The floor units- when I put them in, do they bolt or clip together or anything or is a case that when you put on the worktop this holds it all together??
    Where did you buy your kitchen?
    Usually for most bought kichen what I do is screw them together fer the hinges will be hung That way you won't have to cover the screw heads

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Yop,
    To the best of my knowledge floor units are bolted together, the bolts should come with the units. The wall units are hung on brackets which you attach to the wall and there is an adjustable hinge clip at the top corners of the press itself.
    It's a simple enough process to install the units. The doors will prob have to be drilled for the hinges. There is a bit you can get that's perfect for the job, just ask at the kitchen suppliers.

Cheers,
    Steve.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Steve

Thanks for that, no bolts or brackets for hanging have been supplied. The doors come pre-hung.

You reckon that I could easily do it?

On the bolting together, would I have to drill holes in the side panels?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

yop wrote:

I am about to embark on the task of installing our kitchen. My dad & man of much knowledge!!! has unexpectedly had to have an op and will be out of action for up to 3 weeks SOO I have decided to take on this.

Some questions please, I don't want to be annoying him in hospital!!!
    I have a layout plan and the carcasses assembled.

2. Putting up the wall units, how are these hung, as in do you screw threw into the walls or are there hanging clips and that to hang them on.

Any pointers please on installing I would appreciate it.

Thanks

I had my Cash & Carry kitchen put in by the fitter they recommended, and I would say get it done by professionals unless you really know what you are doing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Saving 700 euro lad, cannot justify that to put in the kitchen to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Judean Reg

The money that you spent on the kitchen units will be wasted if it is not installed properly. IMO that would make 700 euro well spent. Failing that, would you not just wait till your father is up and about again? Seems to me that you are trying to do all of this with his knowledge and without having a lot of knowledge yourself. You really do need a considerable amount of ability to install kitchens correctly.

My advice is, don't do it, you'll regret it in the end.

umm, you are right I know, will think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi Yop, come on young man you hace more or less built this feckin house dont be put off now. Would the best place to start not be with the company who made the kitchen as in ask them. Surely there must be fittin instructions next spot try B&Q they make kitchens (know they way not be best quality) for diy fittin so would surely be able to help. If all else fails send an sos out to the kadman

Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

yop wrote:

Go to a hardware shop and get a good collection of straight and right angle brackets. Get at least twice as many as you could possibly use, in as many shapes and sizes as possible.

Get some chip-board screws, I assume the carcasses are 1/2" chipboard - get a box of 3/4" screws and one of 1/4".

Some good rawl plugs (the expensive ones), and 1" screws to attach to the wall.

Put all the floor cupboards in position, 2 feet out from the wall, and attach them together. Use several brackets at the back, with the 1/4" screws, and several 3/4" screws through the adjoining sides, from both sides.

The ones to go on the wall, attach right-angle brackets to the top and bottom of each cupboard first, get it held up against the wall and mark for the holes, then take down and drill. When the cupboards are all attached to the wall, run 3/4" screws through adjoining sides.

Just plan every step before you do it, apply common sense and use twice as many screws and brackets as you think are needed. You'll take three times as long as a professional, but you will end up with at least as good a job.

Most important thing: do it all slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Hi - I'm putting in a kitchen at the moment for my father-in-law-to-be, it's my third time now.....

Firstly, where did you get the kitchen from? If B&Q you should have all the fixings you need, also the doors will be pre-drilled so no need for hinge-hole cutting

Secondly, what kind of wall will you be affixing the wall cabinets to? This is important to figure out what kind of wall plugs to use.

Regarding floor cabinets - firstly I would normally screw a batten into the wall at the required height of the worktop, running the length of the worktop (this supports the back of the worktop)

Then I normally line the cabinets all up together fully assembled, put the first one to the required height (level with the batten), make sure it is level from front to back and side to side, then get the next one, raise to the same height and level and continue from there.

Then cut your worktop to size (an big job which would probably need a separate post) and put it in place on the cabinets. The worktop should now be level. Make sure there is enought of a lip between the cabinet fronts and the worktop to that the doors when closed do not stick out past the worktop. Make sure that lip is a uniform distance all along the worktop (move the cabinets if not).

Now to fix the worktop in place, pull out the first cabinet and last cabinet, and getting under the worktop, screw a right angle bracket to the batten and the underneath of the worktop. If you like you can do this in the middle as well.

Then to fix the cabinets together, get a few screws long enough to sink into the next cabinet, screw the sides of the cabinets fast together (making sure they are all level and flush with each other).

Finally, to fix the worktop and cabinets together, screw the underside of the tops of the cabinets at the start, end and middle into the bottom of the worktop.

No need to go mental with the screws, for a kitchen worktop of 3m, fixing the worktop/cabinets at three points should be fine, when screwing cabinets together just two screws should do it.

The cabinets shouldn't go anywhere after that - this of course may not suit your particular circumstances (ie if the worktop is granite!) but you get the general idea.

Regarding wall cabinets - it all depends if you have hollow or solid walls behind, and also what kind of fixings you got with them....

PS get some sort of electric drill with the right drill bit

• Advertisement
Advertisement