Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modless Paranormal

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Hagar, second best post to you... :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I've contacted admin and I guess its just a matter of whenever they get around to removing the tags.
    For a variety of reasons I wont have the time to mod the forum, but there are two other mods there to task anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Those two other Mods are also mods for lots of other things. Generally theres one dedicated mod for each forum. I'll do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Zillah wrote:
    Generally theres one dedicated mod for each forum.
    Eh, no, that's not true at all.

I think you have misunderstood me. I meant that in addition to the usual SMods and CMods there was one dedicated Mod for each forum. At least thats what I thought... As in, Solas is the paranormal forum dedicated Mod, while there are also the Super Mods and the Category Mod.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

problem solved.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Doesn't say it beside your name. How paranormal.

Oh I dunno, I'm skeptical about that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

perhaps you just don't have the 'eyes' to see...

psi wrote:
    problem solved.

Noo...please no...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

:d

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zillah wrote:
    Noo...please no...
    You look but you do not see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

You see but you do not look.

(deeeeep)

as deep as? loellers.JPG

Maybe, just maybe.

welcome back :)

/twirls around in me nakedness. (almost)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was going to welcome you back too, but I don't think I could top that ^^^

Fools! We're doomed!

I can't wait to see the new charter.

I doubt too much will change with the charter, I reckon paranormal just needs a mean hardcore (I mean that in the nicest way possible) mod who doesn't take any crap and who wont have great difficulty banning people.

:)

Thanks lads, appreciate it.
    Zillah wrote:
    Fools! We're doomed!

I can't wait to see the new charter.

Weren't you the one crying for solas's head a while back and asking for a new mod?

Did you think that just because you tried to bully someone out you'd get your way?

Incidently, please don't PM me every innane comment you feel you need to make.
    solas wrote:
    I doubt too much will change with the charter
    Not much at all.

psi wrote:
    Weren't you the one crying for solas's head a while back and asking for a new mod?

No. I gave quite a balanced opinion. Weren't you the one starting fights in the charter discussion thread?
    Did you think that just because you tried to bully someone out you'd get your way?

I did no such thing.
    Incidently, please don't PM me every innane comment you feel you need to make.

Incidently, you've already taken the opportunity to act like an arrogant ass in the PM, no need to double up.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    No. I gave quite a balanced opinion. Weren't you the one starting fights in the charter discussion thread?

No, I don't think I did.

But you should be happy. You got what you wanted. :D
    Incidently, you've already taken the opportunity to act like an arrogant ass in the PM, no need to double up.

Well lets post up the 2 PM's you sent me and see who thinks I was justified in being indignant at your DEMANDS to know why I am mod again.

Like I said. Please don't PM me uninvited unless its specifically related to a paranormal post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, the mullberry bush, the mulberry bush. Here we go 'roun.....

Welcome back syke (am I really saying that?) :v: . And Zillah(pick me! pick me!) at one stage this thread was like one of the opening scenes from Shrek! Whist boy...

Hobart wrote:
    Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, the mullberry bush, the mulberry bush. Here we go 'roun.....

You're right. I've said my piece, I hope everyone will enjoy posting on paranormal.
    Welcome back syke (am I really saying that?) :v:
    Thank you. Very much appreciated.

Hobart wrote:
    at one stage this thread was like one of the opening scenes from Shrek! Whist boy...

Hey you're right. Screw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

psi wrote:
    I hope everyone will enjoy posting on paranormal.

You would think wouldn't ya ... :rolleyes:

Wicknight wrote:
    You would think wouldn't ya ... :rolleyes:

I think "while remaining within the rules" was intuitive to that comment.

To analogise in the style of your recent post, I'd love to post unhindered and unmoderated in PI, soccer or politics but the rules of the forums are in place and I must restrict my comments, posts and opinions to those that are within the forum rules.

You're welcome to come and enjoy posting within paranormal. I've even specifically changed the charter to facilitate sceptical discussion and debate. I've been curtious to explain in post and PM why I took the actions I did.

There is not much more I can do for you except to state, that this, the result of a series of events that you personally set in motion, is how the forum is to be run, like it or lump it.

psi wrote:
    I think "while remaining within the rules" was intuitive to that comment.

The problem is, and has always been, that unlike most other forums on Boards.ie the "rules" in Paranormal forum are basically what ever mood the mod is in at the current moment. There are no rules because the charter has been phrased to allow the mod to remove any post for any reason.

This is basically because the charter has a major contradiction in it, that someone can post opinions, even skeptical post, but no one can offer an opinion that contradicts or "offends" someone elses personal held views.

Not too bad on the service (though still a bit of a contradiction) when you think of the purpose of the forum.

But when you actually look at how that works in practice, it is the mod that decides what could possibly offend someone else. So basically the mod can remove any post for any reason when ever they want. The charter basically becomes pointless. Anything can be removed, because anything can be seen as an abuse of of the charter by a mod. Anyone can complain about any post offending their opinions, requesting that it be removed. Even if no one complains the mod can remove any post they want because of the possibility that it might offend someone in the future.

You end up with a situation where there are no "rules," only the opinion of the mod.

I mean I basically said in the last post that I was not going to post my personal opinions on the matter if they get me banned, and you said go ahead, and then removed my post anyway for, in your opinion, breaking the charter. There was nothing in my post that broke any of the rules of the charter except the golden rule that you cannot post anything the mod deems could possibly ever cause offense to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

They don't like to offend nameless internet people on this forum full stop, not just in paranormal (bunch of weirdos).

Wicknight wrote:
    The problem is, and has always been, that unlike most other forums on Boards.ie the "rules" in Paranormal forum are basically what ever mood the mod is in at the current moment. There are no rules because the charter has been phrased to allow the mod to remove any post for any reason.

Nope, I've laid out reasons for removing your post.

I also sent you a very detailed account (paragraph by paragraph) of why exactly your post was removed and how it was not in the "spirit" of the forum.

I'll admit that your posts was spurned by a mic-communication, but even so, the way you went about it was to try and debate or disprove something based pretty much on your analysis of human nature. In doing so you were repetitive, condescending and contrary to the charter, dismissive of paranormal belief.

While I personally accept the arguments you put forward, I would probably make similar ones in the correct environment, they are simply not suitable for the forum.
    This is basically because the charter has a major contradiction in it, that someone can post opinions, even skeptical post, but no one can offer an opinion that contradicts or "offends" someone elses personal held views.

No charter on any forum is a set in stone rule. Its a guideline to what is and isn't acceptable.

I think the charter gives a good inkling of what does and doesn't wash. If there is still any doubt, I think I've explained quite clearly and my actions speak volumes themselves.
    Not too bad on the service (though still a bit of a contradiction) when you think of the purpose of the forum.
    Well thank you, mind you, I have opened up the option to copy threads to ISS, if you really feel the need to debate them.

This, I thought, would be a welcome compromise, it allows all thread participants the option to continue the discussion and you the freedom to tear apart paranormal beliefs to your hearts content. Apparently not.
    But when you actually look at how that works in practice, it is the mod that decides what could possibly offend someone else. So basically the mod can remove any post for any reason when ever they want. The charter basically becomes pointless.

Again, I don't believe that charters are rules et in stone anywhere on boards.ie. They are guidelines that cover as much as possible but some things are the mods descretion.
    Anything can be removed, because anything can be seen as an abuse of of the charter by a mod. Anyone can complain about any post offending their opinions, requesting that it be removed. Even if no one complains the mod can remove any post they want because of the possibility that it might offend someone in the future.
    Well now, your sample size for this is 1 (or even 2 if you want to include skeptic ones post) and you are making definitive comments about how the mod opperates. Interesting.

Of course the irony is, that you are accusing me of regularly pre-emptively moving posts, which I haven't done, so I assume you yourself are pre-empting it.

So the situation is that you are pre-empting my pre-emptiuous, continuous removal of posts. Well done, you should post about this ability to see into the future on paranormal.
    You end up with a situation where there are no "rules," only the opinion of the mod.

The rules are quite well defined. They just don't suit you.
    I mean I basically said in the last post that I was not going to post my personal opinions on the matter if they get me banned, and you said go ahead

Ahh this is the bit where you post on feedback rethreading a 3-4 PM conversation we had, where I pointed out what I was asking versus what you thought I was asking. It was, as I have stated to you, a mis-understanding that I apologise for, but I also gave you a detailed explanation of what exactly was wrong with your post.

11 paragraphs or repetitious dismissal of paranormal (related to orbs), analogies about cars, memory cards and technology and an insight on why the human mind seeks the paranormal everywhere - hrmmm can't see *where* the charter frowns on that sort of thing....:rolleyes:

Incidently, I didn't warn you, ban you or threathen you. I merely moved your post, replied to it and PM'd you politely why it was moved. On discussion I gave you further detailed analysis.
    and then removed my post anyway for, in your opinion, breaking the charter. There was nothing in my post that broke any of the rules of the charter except the golden rule that you cannot post anything the mod deems could possibly ever cause offense to anyone else.

I think you will find, that in this instance, it is "my opinion" that matters.

Offending people is not the issue. This is a paranormal forum for paranormal believers. If someone asks about the nature of orbs and you want to say that in alot of instances the photographs are just blotches that could be set up by "whatever phenomenon" thats fine.

If you want to reply with the type of post you did that starts going on about human nature and peoples need to believe in the paranormal, then no, I'm sorry, thats not what the forum is for. Try Psychology or ISS.

Now wicknight, I've noticed that you seem quite insistant on getting your own way and get quite stroppy when you don't. You also don't seem to accept other points of view if the detract from what you want to believe or the way you feel things should be.

Despite this, I really quite like your posts in the forums I've dealt with you in, specifically politics. But perhaps you should mirror those qualities above against some of the posters you've dealt with in politics? Just food for thought.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    I also sent you a very detailed account (paragraph by paragraph) of why exactly your post was removed and how it was not in the "spirit" of the forum.

Psi you asked me for my opinions on the issue, twice, even after I expressed concern that expressing my opinion could result in a repremand from the mod or even a banning.

You asked again. I replied. You then removed my post for breaking the charter.

If you ask someone to backs up their views on an issue with why they have come to that belief, it is a bit much to remove their reply because you don't like the response, even in the Paranormal forum. If you don't want to know, don't repeatably ask.

It is a bit rich TBH saying that I have trouble with people disagreeing with me... :rolleyes:

Advertisement