Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belle and Sebastian, New Album

• 13-01-2006 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

i've been listening to it for the last few days and its amazing!
    very polished for a belle and sebastian album but a very nice sound

best song on it if you ask me is "For the price of a cup of tea" there are 2 songs that i don't like to much but the others make up for it

anyone else heard it?
    thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What's the new one called and when did it come out. Must get it before the concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

it's called The Life Pursuit

sadly it's not out till Febuary 7th..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yet somehow you mysteriously have it? ;)

thanks for the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

This has been floating about for yonks. I aquired it myself about a month or two ago, its very good, I will be buying it when it comes out.
    There the one band I'll buy everything by, they seem to put a lot of effort into their linear notes so thats the main reason. Otherwise I'd just download it.

My fav song on it is We are the sleepy heads, its one of the the catchiest tunes they've ever done. Class stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I have been listening to the album for a couple of weeks now, to give it my full attention so as to critisise it farily.
    I am extremely dissapointed with the album.I don't want to sound all bent but I just don't like the style the band is heading towards.Quite a poppy album and I just didn't feel as captured by it as I did by the likes of "Fold your hands...."or "Tigermilk"
    I look forward to the gig but I hope that they will play some older songs too!
    By the way, "for the price of a cup of tea" sounds very like Big John Shaft!

• Advertisement

well you can't say you didn't see it coming.
    after they signed to Rough Trade it was never likely they would release anything like tigermilk or even if your feeling sinister.
    while i can't say i'm entirly happy with the direction myself. at least they're not going stale.
    at the moment i'm just glad that they haven't released a bad album. they did well and i'm sure they'll be great next month

I don't think that just because they signed with Rough trade that they wouldn't release anything else like Tigermilk!
    Why would Rough Trade have signed them in the first place?
    I just think that the new lyric quality and sound will never continue on what they were making at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

I think it's a very good album. Much better than the last couple and no real duff tracks which you can't say for a few of their albums. I do prefer the more classic b&s tracks on it to the more t.rex influenced ones like numbers 3 and 4 and 6 (i think). But even they're not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

apart from dress up in you, which is stunning, i'v very mixed feelings about the record and i'v loved them for aaaages. maybe when i see it live i'll feel differently.

edit: cup of tea is a good one too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

****. Have had this for the past few weeks, but never listened to it. Must do that now...

• Advertisement

i've just seen the video for Funny Little Frog..
    it wouldn't have been my choice for a single off that album.. but it could have been worse

video itself wasn't all that interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

god I didn't think it was out yet! Can't wait to hear it. They never disappoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭micromegas

Tyrrial wrote:
    i've been listening to it for the last few days and its amazing!
    very polished for a belle and sebastian album but a very nice sound

best song on it if you ask me is "For the price of a cup of tea" there are 2 songs that i don't like to much but the others make up for it

anyone else heard it?
    thoughts?

the new one is great! i want to go to the show on the 6th, if it isn't sold out already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

A lovely little album for sure, theres something very crisp about the whole ensemble now. I cant pick a favourite just yet im afraid, fantastic album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Its exactly what I expected, and I don't like it too much. Am listening to it a fair bit and its growing on me. Just shouldn't compare it to earlier stuff.

Just shouldn't compare it to earlier stuff.

Amen! to that

White collar boy.That I have taken a liking to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Just saw this on www.belleandsebastian.com:
    IF you happen to be going to one of our UK shows, AND you happen to stumble over our lp somewhere on the net, you MAY have a listen.. we wouldn't want you to arrive COMPLETELY underprepared! You'll want to own it when it comes out anyway. Won't you?

I'm so pleased to see this. I first got into Belle and Sebastian by downloading their albums and I loved them so much that I now own all of them. I've had The Life Pursuit for a while now but I'll still buy it when it comes out.:)

I think there's some strong songs on the album but I feel that as a whole it doesn't work as well as some of the older ones... I think.. I still haven't quite made up my mind about this one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i think ill check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Hester wrote:
    Just saw this on [url]www.belleandsebastian.com:[/url]

Quote:
    IF you happen to be going to one of our UK shows, AND you happen to stumble over our lp somewhere on the net, you MAY have a listen.. we wouldn't want you to arrive COMPLETELY underprepared! You'll want to own it when it comes out anyway. Won't you?

That is well cool alright!!
    And as for the new album, I was listening to it all weekend and I really like it. Roll on Sunday night.

• Advertisement

Holy ****. It's very close.

I've been listening to the new album a good bit since. It's quite good. But very different. Doubt it will ever compare to the older stuff for me. The slower songs sound more like old B&S. But there are some good new sounding ones too. Looking forward to the gigs.

There is an article in "The Ticket" on B&S, it's two pages long.I hear it's so so.Indeed Roll on Sunday night.

Leaving at 10:30am for dublin, excellent, oooh what to wear! :s

Leaving at 10:30am for dublin, excellent, oooh what to wear! :s

Ha ha excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

*Sigh*

I wanted to go, but that bloody age restriction! I was even allowed to travel up to Belfast for it and miss school but my friend who got me into B&B couldn't and... *sigh*

The new album better be good, or else I'll be a sad boy.

What a gig.I really wanted to go again tonight but missed the chanc of buying tickets.An excellent gig with a variety of songs played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Tyrrial wrote:
    it's called The Life Pursuit

sadly it's not out till Febuary 7th..
    All the posters (and the website) say February 6th. I went into Tower, in Easons, today and the guy said it had been moved back to Friday but I could tell he was a lying whore! That said I did go to an array of HMVs and Golden Discs too and none of them had even a sign of the album.

I've been trying to find info. about possible schedule changes on the net but have found nothing. Plus CDWOW.ie has it, and Amazon.co.uk. Can anyone enlighten me as to what the hell's going on with the Irish release?

Franky Boy wrote:
    What a gig.I really wanted to go again tonight but missed the chanc of buying tickets.An excellent gig with a variety of songs played.
    They were great, hilarious too!
    ended up with trousers and a black shirt btw :P

Have started to like the new album more since seeing the songs live. New songs sounded very good on the night(s). To Be Myself Completely and Funny Little Frong in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

I've been listening to the Life Pursuit for a couple of months now and I have to say I still love it. I'd say it's my favourite album by them after Sinister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yep one of the albums of the year so far no doubt.
    Any bootleg of the Ambassador gigs around?
    Think I'll catch them at EP again :)

Advertisement