Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best chippers and why.

Options
  • 13-01-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

The Ritz on Patrick St. in Dun laoghaire has great chips, real old fashioned, firm and tasty.

Borza in the middle of Dalkey has very good chips too. Cooked deep brown but the rest of the food isn't great. And just because it's in Dalkey doesn't mean it has to sell all that fancy nonsense.

Marsellas on Georges Street, Dun Laoghaire has big slabs of fresh cod that are delidcious as long as they aren't overcooked.

I think all the Leo Burdocks sell tasty but actually quiet greasy chipper food. It's kind of thrown at you. They don't give a sh*t anymore.

Have you ever heard the story that all the Italians who run Irish chippers are from the same parts of Italy and that if you go there in the school holidays you hear Irish accents everywhere? I hope it's true! Classic!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Mizzoni's in Harolds Cross do nice food... Good selection and lovely chips :p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Forte's in Rathgar has the nicest chips. Crisp on the outside, hot and fluffy on the inside. They also do an excellent burger and battered sausage.

I also like the chipper in the George's St Arcade, they have excellent chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

xzanti wrote:

I like thems alot, i does

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Forte's in Rathgar has the nicest chips. Crisp on the outside, hot and fluffy on the inside. They also do an excellent burger and battered sausage.

I also like the chipper in the George's St Arcade, they have excellent chips.
    tSubh, crazy that we had this conversation in real-life a week ago!

I second Forte's and also nominate The Seashell off Pearse street for quality chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Jackie Lennox's on the Bandon Road in Cork - the best chips by far and a Cheese and Onion pie to die for.

There is an italian Chipper (aren't they all) on the main street in Greystones as well and that is lovely - every order is cooked to order iykwim. They also do a good burger there.

The chippers here in Oz are dreadful - great fish on offer, but I have yet to find a chipper that does not serve frozen chips.

MrsA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

The best chipper is 'The Premier' in Wexford Town - chips are fantastic and the fish there is great. Best chipper I've ever been in.

Also do lovely battered cocktail sausages which are yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

Cafe Caira beside Howth Pier. LOVELY fish, burgers and chips.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

The best chipper I ever came across was in Killarney. A place called Mick's chipper. The best chips I've ever had! Does it still exist? Is it still good? These are things I need to know!

EDIT: On further thought it might be Mike's Chipper...something like that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Purely for the chips, the best I had was near the hospital in Navan. Can't recall the name, about 8 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

misswex wrote:
    The best chipper is 'The Premier' in Wexford Town - chips are fantastic and the fish there is great. Best chipper I've ever been in.

you forgot the rissoles- deadly desh, hun, i swears to god....are ye really from wexford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Angelos beside Finches in Clondalkin. There are a few chinese lads who work next door in the chinese (same place) and they cook things better than italians, thats so not PC but true :D

Everything is lovely even the Whirly Burger :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

misswex wrote:

I love premier... especially the onion rings

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sligo:
    Mollies

Letterkenny:
    Mr Chippie
    Charleys.

Donegal Town:
    Duffy's Chipper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

this been done before but anyhow great chips an fab chicken kebab from aprilles in stillorgan;)

jd wrote:
    you forgot the rissoles- deadly desh, hun, i swears to god....are ye really from wexford?

I'm not from Wexford town so I'm not a hun ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

oh gorgeous, the premier rocks, we used to stop there on our way home after getting the boat back to rosslare, after three weeks of european "sausages" adn then you go the premier.... mmmmmmmm

best chipper in cork is the golden fry in ballinlough, opening hours are as changable as teh wind though :( best onion rings and meat patties though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

misswex wrote:
    I'm not from Wexford town so I'm not a hun ;)
    classy bird then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Easy...Best chipper is 'Joes Chip Inn' in Rush co. Dublin. The food is legendary! Donkeys years ago in National School the teachers would let us go up to Joes at 12 o clock lunch to scoff ourselves. Every Friday there is a queue at the door at 4.45 and it doesnt open til 5, its as if a gig is on inside! The funny thing is that Alice, Liam and the rst of the gang always go their own speed wether you're in a hurry or not. Long live Joes in Rush!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I take it this thread is open to any county in Ireland , now the best chippie by far in Dundalk is called The Roma , Now you guessed right that the people that own it and run it are infact Italian and the owners name is JOE.

It is a very much a family run chipper with a exemptions been the waitress’s. The chips are marvellous and the rest of the food is so fresh even for a chippie, but the best part has to be their homemade ice cream and milkshakes Italian style that are so famous around Dundalk.

I just wished they did home delivery, rather then having to crawl into town to get a bag of chips and also they don’t open late, normally closed by 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Rockee wrote:
    Easy...Best chipper is 'Joes Chip Inn' in Rush co. Dublin. The food is legendary! Donkeys years ago in National School the teachers would let us go up to Joes at 12 o clock lunch to scoff ourselves. Every Friday there is a queue at the door at 4.45 and it doesnt open til 5, its as if a gig is on inside! The funny thing is that Alice, Liam and the rst of the gang always go their own speed wether you're in a hurry or not. Long live Joes in Rush!!!!!!!!:D

It's not as slow since they renovated it. Before that it was unbearable - you could be waiting 45 minutes. It used to drive me bananas when the staff would only take one order at a time and then cook that before moving to the next customer. Good food though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Borzas in Sandymount or Dalkey
    The Central Cafe in Blackrock
    Henry & Rose in Bray
    Tradewinds in Arklow
    Sharkys in Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

jd wrote:
    Just out of curiousity- what exactly is a rissole? Is it some sort of seasoned mince in a panné and deepfried? That was the only rissole I ever came across, cooked by some 1st yr in college. It stalks my nightmares. It was all soggy and greasy and tasteless. Could be nice if it was properly flavoured and cooked I'd say. Could we have a description? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

its rather like a potatoe pie (ummm, thats what we call em in cork anyway, in carrickonsuir they call em spud balls) but more herby and i think there might be some bread crumbs in it. they are savage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Litcagral wrote:
    It's not as slow since they renovated it. Before that it was unbearable - you could be waiting 45 minutes. It used to drive me bananas when the staff would only take one order at a time and then cook that before moving to the next customer. Good food though.[/QUOTE

God yeah, I remember when Joes was ultra-tiny...chips were/are amazing! You can smell them all around the town.

Oh I forgot Molloccas in Enniscorthy Town - italian run chipper. Fantastic menu and their pizzas are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My nana made rissoles but they were bassicaly home made burgers i think.. without the bun etc... Home made burgers and gravy

Back on topic the best Fish and chips i ever had was some place in Bangor. There doing a job, had to get lunch and my God the fish melted in my mouth.. the batter was the key i think.. it was lovely on its own even without the fish.. the chips, well they were excellent but i have had similar from other places.. but as a package... i have never had anything to beat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

xzanti wrote: »

That used to be the case, very much so, but recently their food and more especially the service has really gone bad. Honestly, I think they have THE rudest phone staff.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055305693

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

McDonaghs fish and chips on Quay street Galway, simply the best chips bar none

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

xzanti wrote: »

Mizzonis was slated by some guy in Consumer Issues recently.. coincidence.
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Purely for the chips, the best I had was near the hospital in Navan. Can't recall the name, about 8 years ago...

That was a place formerly known as Larrys, then Marios, now named after his son Ezio who died in a car accident a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Mizzonis was slated by some guy in Consumer Issues recently.. coincidence.

That was me - and I have to say they really do deserve the slating.

On the positive side - the chipper at the end of Howth village (Malahide end) is great - the queue is usually out the door but its worth the wait.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement