Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

file descriptors question

• 13-01-2006 7:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Ok on linux and unix you can see the number of file descriptors open by a process and whether they are sockets or pipes by doing a ls -l in /proc/<pid>/fd

Does anyone know how to get the equivalent info in HP-UX???
    There is no /proc ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

*bump*
    or at the least how to find the total number of file descriptors open on a hp-ux machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Try "lsof", which lists all open files on a system. The man page says it works with (among many others) HP-UX 11.00, 11.11 and 11.23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Yup, just after finding that myself. Thanks for replying anyway!
    Its just a matter of parsing the output to get what i need now.
    /edit one problem with the difference between the linux and hp-ux lsof is that the linux one tells you in the NAME if it is a pipe or socket, HP-UX doenst tell you at all.

next question is how to list all the child processes\threads belonging to a process???
    On linux i was using
    /bin/ps h -emwwo pid,ppid | grep <pid of process>

this doesnt work on hp-ux, even when setting the UNIX98=true or UNIX95=true.

The best i've managed is to jus get the pid of the process i want to monitor and its ppid but not any child processes of the one i want to monitor. Used the following command:
    UNIX95=true /bin/ps -A -o pid,ppid | grep <pid>

Advertisement