Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Book?

• 13-01-2006 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I was wondering could anyone recommend a good guitar book. I've been playing for a while but I don't know any music theory or scales. I'd also like to learn proper fingering techniques. I did a quick google search and found that some people really recommended Solo Guitar Playing by Frederick Noad - has anyone tried that book? It seems to be oriented to Classical guitar and I'd be more interested in rock etc.

Anyhow any recommendations would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

You might think I'm taking the picks, but this comes highly recommended.

easy to understand and very motivating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

The Bible. The Necronomicon. The Grimoire.

http://www.guitargrimoire.com/products.htm

Some Barnes&Noble review quotes from peeps who have bought the Grimoire.

CUSTOMER REVIEWSNumber of Reviews: 4 Average Rating: 5stars.gifcleardot.gif
    Write your own online review! >

cleardot.gifShowing 1-4
    David (dbgillespie@excite.com), about to have LASIK!, April 8, 2005, 5stars.gifcleardot.gif Amazing Book!
    This book is simply amazing. It has a very in depth analysis for just about every single scale you can think of, with all the modes for each of them. It has great explanation of music theory, and made a lot click inside my head when I read through it. As an intermediate guitarist, I have read countless web sites studying modes and scales and music theory, and the first few pages of this book was heads above all the rest. Really lays everything out very nicely. The only regret I have in this, is that I did not buy the DVD as a companion. This is a must buy book!
    Also recommended: The Guitar Grimoire - Chords and Voicings The Guitar Grimoire - Guitar Exercises

Ray Cannon (rjc_15@yahoo.com), an aspring guitar virtuoso, April 27, 2004, 5stars.gifcleardot.gif Outstanding..By Far The Best In My Collection
    I have a ton of books about scales and modes, but buddy, this one takes the cake. Everything you ever wanted in a scale book is right here waiting for you. Don't pass this one up!!!

Shivaji Shinde (sh1vaj1@aol.com), author of 'Modes Made Simple..., August 21, 2000, 4stars.gifcleardot.gif Companion to 'A Notated Intervallic Study of Modes'
    This book is a strong book on it's own but is best used along with 'A Notated Intervallic Study of Modes.' (The one with the orange cover.) This book is a little more straight foreward but both books cover the same ground. Get 'A Notated Intervallic Study of Modes'
    Also recommended: 'Modes Made Simple for the 7 String Guitar.'

A reviewer, 20 year guitarist., June 26, 2000, 5stars.gifcleardot.gif BUY THIS BOOK - THROW THE REST OUT!
    This book finally put musical theory and actual playing together for me. This guy has layed it all out, as he explains the 'big bang' of music; the major scale. Teaches how music works. This book could intimidating for the beginner just by it's sheer comprephensiveness, but don't get discouraged, just consume in small amounts. I reccommend this and all the other books in the guitar grimoire series, I also reccommend the videos available which complement the series. ALL other instruction books I have seen on scales and modes, as well, as music theory, just don't explain it in plain and easy to understand terms like this teacher does. BUY IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't know about the original poster, but I think you've just sold me on the Grimoire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mickey_t

Cheers guys. Its looking like the Grimoire is the business alright.

Rustar did you get the DVD with the Grimoire book?

• Advertisement

Nay, I bought mine like 12 years ago. Strongly thinking of picking up the DVD's, though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Anyone know of anywhere it can be sourced in europe? (The books, that) I've looked at amazon.co.uk, play.com and a few different music websites like Thomann. No luck.

Oh, and are the DVDs the same content as the Books? If anyone knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Looks like there's more than a few floating around on ebay.

Good call, Rustar!

Advertisement