Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of shipping pets

• 13-01-2006 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

Has anyone here got any idea of what it should cost to ship a small bird as cargo to South Africa?
    I recently got a quote from the only company that I could find that offered an animal transport service, and it was Euro 520!! :eek:

My own plane ticket to SA is not even that much! I'm sure I'm being ripped off here... what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure on the cost part but transporting a bird that far can cause a lot of stress especially if the company don't do their job right. Not saying it can't be done but it is very stressful. If the bird is put in a draughty hold etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Why not just buy one over here? What species is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Delerium

He's a Senegal parrot that I've had for the last four years.
    I got him from Mayo (though he doesn't have the accent!) :p

It's not really an option to leave him here when I move back to SA. He's extremely attached to me and vice versa.
    Luckily he's very hardy and very tame, so I think he'll be ok during the move.

When travelling to some countries, you can take your pet on board in the cabin with you. Unfortunately, when travelling to SA, they require that all pets go into the cargo hold. It's heated and they keep it dim so as to keep the animals calm, so hopefully it won't be a very traumatic experience for him.

So far the cost of the shipping has been the most traumatic thing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Capall86

You think its bad for a bird, try a horse! but you will be hard put to find a price under 450 for something like that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement