Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Csd

• 13-01-2006 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering, why is there so many people working in the CSD? Is there really that much work to done to employ that many people?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

i'm sure there is... maintaining all of the computers, staff and student, and updating webpages/portal pages/class lists/class email lists/student email/laplan. when ya think about it, they do a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I suppose..maybe I'm being a bit ungrateful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

There ain't THAT many people but as far as I can see yes they do need that many people. They pretty much handle all of the computer services on campus bar the CA building so thats alot of computers, a lot of network equipment and hence alot of problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

There's only about 6 people employed on the student helpdesks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

OFDM wrote:
    There's only about 6 people employed on the student helpdesks.

there's more in the actual csd building.

• Advertisement

rugbug86 wrote:
    there's more in the actual csd building.
    True but I think they deal more with the networks, staff and residence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

They really do have their work load cut out for them. The campus is huge and has massive requirements.

From the basics of changing ink in printers to updating and installing equipment and getting new stuff. Imagine. We've the Library, the Science building, the one between science and computers, then the HenryG, all two floors, then the R&D buildings and the Hub and then Res!! That's a lot of maintainence. And they do a good job tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Hmm i was under the impression the library was separate no?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Doubtful. General maintenance like paper and ink, maybe. But networking and wireless etc, thats all run by them.

We're very luck in DCU with the Computer Services Department, I've heard stories about the ones in other colleges, and they seem a lot less ... approchable and nice.

Aye, all computer facilities on campus bar the CA Building are managed by CSD...thats like...a lot...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

As far as I know the engineering faculty manage their own computers and servers. So apart from CA and Eng, CSD manage all the computers on campus.

They also look after all the network infrastructure, the college's connection to HEAnet and the internet, not to mention all the applications around the place, not only on the student computers but the portal page (which was developed in-house), the staff payroll system, OPAC system and I assume a bit more.

Oh, didn't know the Eng department had their own computer services department...
    Still though, as Mark said, theres a hell of a lot of stuff to manage so me thinks their numbers are more than necessary. :D

From what I've heard, CSD do the Henry Grattan Building, Business School, Nursing building, the basement of the Maths/Chemistry building and the library. I've also seen CSD guys filling the printers in the library so they must do that too.

Engineering building, CA building and Physics building all have their own technicians to maintain those labs.

Advertisement