Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Media Center Edition?

• 13-01-2006 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Is this O/S similar to XP but with extras or is it a completely different O/S altogether? Would it be suitable for home office use or is it designed solely for a media PC?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Its basicly the same as Xp with just added features....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's bastardised XP. It fits somewhere between Home and Pro.
    MCE is XP Pro, slightly stripped down, with an extra application: "Media Centre", naturally enough. (You can't join an AD domain..so kinda like Home; but it has RD and EFS) And, AFAIK, Media Centre is turned off by default at the start. I'd only see the benefit if you have a TV tuner card,etc.

Better explanation perhaps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_Media_Center_Edition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Karoma wrote:
    I'd only see the benefit if you have a TV tuner card,etc.

I don't need XP Pro for this PC, it will just be a basic home office PC. I think I would be probably better off to choose XP Home over MCE given that the media features wouldn't be used much :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Well, if there isn't a difference in cost - then perhaps it's worth it (It has more features than Home). If you're building the machine... I don't think they ever sold MCE seperate...nm

Advertisement