Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good rock bar?

Options
  • 13-01-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know of a decent rock bar in the city?
    i'm not looking to see some u2/coldplay wannabe's. i'd like to go to a bar/club and listen to some metal or grunge type music. surely there is at least one place in the city that caters to this genre.

also, i'd like some replies that don't consist of links to other threads. just the name of a pub/club will suffice. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

Try the basement of Bruxelles. The only links you'll find there are going between some blokes ear and nose. It's near the top of grafton st. you could also try the basement bar under the Flowing Tide, called the Neptune on Abbey st, it was good two years ago when they didn't have the tv on.
    Is it ironic that these bars are underground?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yep -- Bruxelles has brilliant music, although it's a bit of a kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Try Fibber Magees on Parnell street.

All drinks are three euro on thursdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

thanks. i've been in fibbers once before. it was about 12 years ago though. i don't really remember much about it except that i walked up 2 set of steps and through a door onto the sam street that i entered the place. that kind of freaked me out. then i found the bar and all was well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

yeah was gonna say bruxelles..also whealens have good gigs (maybe not heavy enough for you though) and Eamon Dorans is a bit of a rocker bar..im not really into that genre though, so i don't really know where else im afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Talaghn

Voodoo lounge tend to have a few rock bands on as far as i know!

been there. went to see a friends band play. they were crap, so was the voodoo lounge. u2/coldplay wannabe's.

don't get me wrong. i'm a huge U2 fan. i just don't want to go and see a poor imitation. ahh, i don't know what i want. i think i'm still drunk from last night and i'm on no sleep. god damn chicken roaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bruxelles all the way.

i was looking at a thread (think it was in AH. thread about goths. i'd link, but i'm banned from AH and i'm not in the mood of logging out or opening up IE) and there seemed to be a lot of hating on bruxelles and fibbers. stories about smelly goths looking down their noses at "the norms". any truth in these stories, or are these people just bitching because they felt out of place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

julep wrote:
    i was looking at a thread (think it was in AH. thread about goths. i'd link, but i'm banned from AH and i'm not in the mood of logging out or opening up IE) and there seemed to be a lot of hating on bruxelles and fibbers. stories about smelly goths looking down their noses at "the norms". any truth in these stories, or are these people just bitching because they felt out of place?

tbh i frequent said bars regularly and don't wear any sort of "goth uniform" and get on great... never had any spot of bother.

fact is in these bars you're far more likely to meet nice people then you are in a club or "trendy" bar

• Advertisement

i've no doubt about that.
    leave the trendy pubs to the mars bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

True as that is, you may find some of the Bruxels crowd to have somewhat elitest attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Bruxcelles, Downstairs to the left - Very heavy metal but a pretty good place
    Fibber Magees - Always a good laugh in there, play all sorts from Nirvana to Opeth, has a tendency to get filled with Central Bank heads tho
    Whelans - Only good after 11 on a Friday or Saturday night when the club opens,unless theres a gig on, plays lots of good stuff; Nirvana, QOTSA, Libertines, place gets way too packed tho
    Voodoo - Good for gigs so keep your eye out for bands you like

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭SxE Punk

Voodoo is a great place to see quality bands, I seen Stiff Little Fingers there awhile ago, and Reel Big Fish were there last month, I got fully fscked up at both gigs, its a great place. And The Buzzcocks are playing there in march.

The music centre used to have great bands every so often, but there hasn't been a good gig there in like a year.

There aren't many good Irish bands that play anywhere in the city, but if you ever get a chance, go see The Mighty Stef or Band on an Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

SxE Punk wrote:
    The music centre used to have great bands every so often, but there hasn't been a good gig there in like a year.
    Architecture in Helsinki about 3 months ago...one of the best gigs Ive ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

SxE Punk wrote:
    and Reel Big Fish were there last month, I got fully fscked up at both gigs, its a great place.

That was the Village?

Anywho, Bruxelle's is grand, gets veeeeeery packed though. Whelans sounds exactly what you're not going for. Fibbers...Been there twice. Once I was pished, and can't really remember, the second I left with the smell. I've heard there's good nights there when you climatise yourself to the odour though.

I like Voodoo lounge, mainly because I only go when friends bands are playing, so I usually know a good few people there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Addlcove

went to bruxelles last night, great music but it did get very packed :) think I'm gonna have to go there again

Advertisement