Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate Cinema - no more late shows?

Options
  • 13-01-2006 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at whazon.com, it would appear that the Gate cinema no longer does late shows. The latest film shown this week starts at 21:30. What's up with that? Will the Gate become more sloppy now that the Capital is gone? Can we expect to see a deterioration in its quality and service levels? Has anyone called Batman and Robin???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

http://www.corkcinemas.com/

Apparently it's true. I hope this is just this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was looking to go last weekend, but there were no late shows. The only option was to get in the car and drive to mahon or somewhere else.

It sucks. I really like late night cinema

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

in my opinion the Gate is history as a main cinema....the Mahon point omniplex far outshines it in comfort and sound...the only problem i see with the omniplex is the long trek to the loo's..

stag39 wrote:
    the only problem i see with the omniplex is the long trek to the loo's..

That and it's completly useless for people who don't have a car and don't live on the mahon bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Plus there's really nothing else there. At least in town you can go to the pub afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

nesf wrote:
    That and it's completly useless for people who don't have a car and don't live on the mahon bus route.

I'm sure the Omniplex might just survive, with the majority of households now owning at least one car.

damien.m wrote:
    I'm sure the Omniplex might just survive, with the majority of househols now owning at least one car.

Eh, I wasn't talking about that. I was whinging about it not being a realistic alternative for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Also, it would be such a downer driving out to a hole of a place like Mahon in the middle of the night even if one did have a car. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

simu wrote:
    Also, it would be such a downer driving out to a hole of a place like Mahon in the middle of the night even if one did have a car. :mad:

Yeah, how dare they not build it on the Rochestown Road or Montenotte.

Well, in the city centre rather than some dead suburb tbh. Rochestown is miles out too afaik and I've no idea where Montenotte is.

• Advertisement

simu wrote:

it's not Mahon... it's Mahon point:p

and it's also near enough to Blackrock!

and there are always taxi's to get back into town

The people who move into the new development in Heron's wood..just the other side of the south ring bridge by the water... would not be using the address of Mahon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm actually going to wite to the manager of the Gate. They're the only mainstream cinema left in town. they should be aiming to completely corner the market.

I hate the drive out to Mahon Point. It's too far to have to travel when I only live a 3 minute walk from the Gate. But they're losing me as a customer

stag39 wrote:

The people who move into the new development in Heron's wood..just the other side of the south ring bridge by the water... would not be using the address of Mahon;)

Taxis - so that's an extra €6 out and another €6 home. Hardly makes it worth while.

simu wrote:
    Taxis - so that's an extra €6 out and another €6 home. Hardly makes it worth while.

i used to have a friend who did a round trip of 160 miles to go to the savoy to watch film's in the savoy in dublin...he had the best seat in the place for the suround sound..that was over 10 years ago...
    think that cost more than 12 euro;)

stag39 wrote:
    i used to have a friend who did a round trip of 160 miles to go to the savoy to watch film's in the savoy in dublin...he had the best seat in the place for the suround sound..that was over 10 years ago...
    think that cost more than 12 euro;)
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

What about the cinema in Blackpool ? - nearer than Mahon and good sound too. Not sure if they do late shows though!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

stag39 wrote:

Yeah just like Castle Meadows which described itself as being in Blackrock though you had to drive past Mahon Church and Mahon School to get there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

No more late shows in The Gate? Man the city is getting worse. I love late night cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

You lot are spoilt! I drive from Cobh to Mahon Point and it's a 20 minute doddle of a journey. But pre-driving days, I used to get the bus from Crosshaven to Douglas or City if I wanted to see a film. If you want luxury, a spotless cinema, friendly staff, leg room - then Mahon is worth travelling a few miles to. Otherwise people, get a DVD player and you won't have to travel further than your front room! J

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

The ultimate cinema around is the Ormonde in Midleton. Yes, I know it's 20mins out from the city, but they still have those double seats! I mean, really old-fashioned! It rocks! And the 2 cinemas still stink of smoke from the 80's when you were allowed smoke in there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and it has the old style tickets they tear in half as you go in!

Looks like we're safe. The listings for next week are up and a few of them have late showings at the weekend :)

http://www.corkcinemas.com/pages/showtimes1.php?startDate=2006-01-20&wantedSite=cbs&page=&localpage=

Cool! Look at the power of maoning on an internet bb, all!

Truly, a force to be reckoned with! :v:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

if we moan enough will they bring back the cinema tickets that you didnt lose for a tesco receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

The new tickets are a joke alright. Glad to hear that late shows are back. Nice to have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

parsi wrote:
    Yeah just like Castle Meadows which described itself as being in Blackrock though you had to drive past Mahon Church and Mahon School to get there...

thats like a mate of mine who lives in the shadow of mahon church off the skehard road and says he lives in blackrock...

by christ does he get teh p!ss taken out of him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kroktheweak

first off let me say that im the senior projectionist in the gate ive been there
    3 years im the guy with a pony tail and abe lincoln beard you might see wandering around the building because im bored out of my mind most of the time ,the reason the late shows were taken off for 2 weeks was because of the scheduling if we had late shows playing they would have finished after 2 and the staff really dont want to be there any minute longer than we have to. now for the tickets yes there crap, the staff hate them too but the management in their infinite "wisdom" decided to use them when i think of the management many words come into my head that im not sure if i can use here but one that i can is CHEAP, i have to argue with them over ordering spare parts and supplies (do we really need film handling gloves, splicing tape diodes ,trap bands ,a split reel ,wd 40, methylated spirits ,fuses, acetate leaders)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

you can never have enough wd40 really

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sounds a bit flammable really - shades of Cinema Paradiso...

Advertisement