Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking laptop to Pc for file transfer and ICS

Options
  • 14-01-2006 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

This has been wrecking my head for the last hour or so and i havent aclue where im going wrong.

What i have is a PC with 2 network ports, 1 is connected to the router for internet and the other is free.
    And i have laptop which i want to connect to the pc so i can backup files from 1 to the other and get it on the net while im at it.

Right now the laptop connects to the 2nd network port with a Xover cable and thats where i get stuck. I cannot get either pc to see each other.
    Both pc's are Xp

I know it would be easier to just plug the laptop into the router the pc is on but that just isnt an option im affraid.

Anyone any idea of what to do to get it working?

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭fletch

XP PRo or HOME?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

dya got file and printer sharing on? and dya have folders shared?
    what about ips and workgroups?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Going to install pro on the laptop today and see does it make a difference.

All nic's have ip assigned to them, except the one connecting to the modem is trough DHCP but its always been the same ip anyway.

I have folder shared and they should but be on the MSHOME work group.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Xp Pro on both pc now.

It's really f**k up. Pc can browse net do what ever etc but as soon as i connect the laptop to the 2 nic on the mobo i can not browse the net any longer BUT my irc connection stays allive :confused:

Cant get the laptop to browse the net either, cant even ping the router.

Im totally lost, had a few others try help me to but they dont know either

Advertisement