Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future of the irish team - it's bright, I Swear!

• 14-01-2006 2:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of you guys seems to be moaning that our midfield is a mess, we have a lack of defenders and that the squad isn't good enough to qualify for Euro 2008. and that Stan and bobby Rob will make it worse etc...

I disagree, we have a lot of great young players coming through at home and in the English leagues, from the premiership right down to league 1!

Players like McShane, Whelan, Tabb, Thornton, Heferan, O'Brien, Gibson, Ireland, Flood, Murphy, Kelly, Stokes, Henderson, stack, Doyle, Long, Sheehan and a load more all have the potential to be playing for the senior team in the next year to eighteen months.

For me the stand out players are the following.

Mcshane - Rated by a lot of people as the best and smartest young centre back in the championship this year on loan at brighton and hove albion, quick, good on the ball and a very aggressive player whit an insane ability to read the game for such a young player, UTD fans talk about Pique a lot but IMHO having seen both play a few times all Pique has that McShane doesn't is height, in every other area McShane is a better centre back, and all around better player.

Whelan - having a rough time at Sheff Wed this term, but anyone being asked to do what has been asked of him this year in a midfield THAT BAD at 22 would have a though time! a real prospect and I reckon he has the makings of a future stalwart of the Irish midfield, possibly even captain!

Tabb - If you have ever seen him playing for brentford you'd understand why he is rated so highly in league one and above, amazing footballing brain, great passing range, quick feet and not afraid to put in a tackle make him a great option for either wing or even in the centre. He will be a premiership player!

O'Brien - Playing right back a lot for bolton but in my opinion he has no business in that position as it is a waste of his abilities, this man was born to play in the centre of the park or on the right of the middle. Good passing range, big and strong on the ball, not shy of tackling either, watch this lad develop, he will get better and better.

Ireland - If you don't know what this lad can do you are living under a rock, a sensation since making is way into the Man City first team, shows composure far beyond his years, has a very bright creative spark and could possibly provide the flair we have been missing in the middle of the park for a LONG time, big and strong, great on the ball and he has a passing range second to none in his age group, still only 19!

Doyle - you all know how good he is, you all know how much potential he has to be even better, both footed, god in the air and strong on the ball, has everything a striker needs!

of the younger players there is....

Sheehan - young left back playing at Leicester, getting a few first team games dispite his age, academy player of the year last year, big things expected of him.

Kelly - At Arsenal, not getting the press attention of Larssen or Lupoli or even stokes but young Sean Kelly is ploughing away improving his game all the time and looking every bit a future premiership midfeilder, very high hopes for this lad!

Stokes - i think we have all heard of him? if you haven't you obviously dont pay attention to these boards! big, quick, strong striker rated very highly by Liam Brady at arsenal, he will be a very good international!

There you go, it's not all doom and gloom, we aren't on a downward spiral, we are just in a pahse of restructuring, happens to every international team, we are no indifferent, the future is bright, the future is Green White and orange*!

*Sorry about that, couldn't help the last bit!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm sorry but if you could string a sentence together, I might be able to read it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Now that Hoolahan is playing at a higher level he should be consid... hahahaha, aw man, I just couldn't do it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

zabbo wrote:
    I'm sorry but if you could string a sentence together, I might be able to read it

Oh noes!!!1!12!one! Spelling mistakes, it's the end of the world!

Take your head out of your arse will ya, it's 3.23 am and I'm not having a great time of trying to sleep, sorry if my spelling was off, grammar nazi.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Now that Hoolahan is playing at a higher level he should be consid... hahahaha, aw man, I just couldn't do it!

Meh, I hope he does well and moves on toa better team, but you're right about somehting, he is playing at a higher level, he's just not with a better team.

Seaneh wrote:
    Meh, I hope he does well and moves on toa better team, but you're right about somehting, he is playing at a higher level, he's just not with a better team.

Not playing at a higher level just yet... Only Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are bigger than the eL atm. Replace those three with three potential ties in Europe and its pretty much the same level, with the SPL probably just a bit ahead. Anyway this argument has been done to death over and over and over and I'm totally biased and bitter so I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, Scottish First Division beckons, and that my good friends, is a waste of talent. Best thing he could do now is to play his socks off, get in the Ireland squad somehow, and get a move to a bigger Scottish club or top-half Championship side.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Not playing at a higher level just yet... Only Rangers, Celtic and Hearts are bigger than the eL atm. Replace those three with three potential ties in Europe and its pretty much the same level, with the SPL probably just a bit ahead. Anyway this argument has been done to death over and over and over and I'm totally biased and bitter so I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, Scottish First Division beckons, and that my good friends, is a waste of talent. Best thing he could do now is to play his socks off, get in the Ireland squad somehow, and get a move to a bigger Scottish club or top-half Championship side.

I agree 100% I reckon he would have been better off staying in the El than moving to livi, but maybe he thought it was the only way to get attanetion from the irish set-up? maybe he thought it was the eaisest way to further his devlopment in the long term by playing his socks off for 6 months, getting a move and moving up that way?
    Only Weso knows that and the next 6-8 months will tell weather he was right or wrong in his choice, i hope for his sake he is right.

I didn't mentionhim in the thread because apart from 2 or 3 of the players in my list he is a bit older than the listed players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

A lot of hype there to be honest, a lot of these players still have stacks and stacks to prove, the likes of Doyle included. How many times have we rated an up-and-coming youngster only for him to disappoint?

Barrett? Quinn? Healy? Miller? To name a few.

As for Hoolahan, while Livingston as a team may not be a step up, the SPL is certainly at a higher level overall than the EL, and a far better place for a player of such reputed talent to be exposing himself.

Seaneh wrote:
    I didn't mentionhim in the thread because apart from 2 or 3 of the players in my list he is a bit older than the listed players.

Ah yeah, I can understand that. Its not as if the bottom two spots of the SPL are a hotbed for potential international players either.

Would love to see him play five or six games in a row for Ireland, not just a couple minutes of a friendly here and there. People would certainly take notice of him then. But alas, it may never happen.

I think the FAI should have a raffle for the next Ireland manager. I'd love a shot at it!

A lot of hype there to be honest, a lot of these players still have stacks and stacks to prove, the likes of Doyle included. How many times have we rated an up-and-coming youngster only for him to disappoint?

This is a little bit different as none of those players have come even close to making the immediate impact that Doyle has. Obviously he'll have to continue it over a longer period of time before he'll have proven himself to everyone but I'm confident he can do it. He's not going to be top scorer in the Premiership next season but hopefully he'll get a couple of top-flight campaigns behind him and bolt down a regular place in the Irish squad.
    As for Hoolahan, while Livingston as a team may not be a step up, the SPL is certainly at a higher level overall than the EL, and a far better place for a player of such reputed talent to be exposing himself.

Heres how I see it:

Celtic
    >
    Rangers
    >
    Hearts
    > Cork
    Hibernian
    > Derry
    Kilmarnock
    > Shelbourne
    Aberdeen
    > Bohemians
    Motherwell
    > Drogheda
    Inverness CT ---> Longford
    Dundee Utd ----> St.Pats
    Falkirk
    >
    Livingston
    >
    Dunfermeline --->
    > Waterford
    > Bray
    > Sligo
    > UCD
    > Dublin City

Thats a really rough sketch of my views on the SPL-v-eL debate, I'm sure lots of people will disagree, I'll probably disagree myself in the morning when I'm not so tired! Honestly didn't consciously try to offend anyone, so go easy on me!

Anyway its way off-topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'm pretty sure i heard a collective groan around dublin when the announcement was made today.

never thought i'd say this but, aldridge getting the job would have inspired me with more confidence, at least he has *some* experience

how do a bunch of men sit around a table and decide that steve staunton is a better man than brian kerr to manage the irish team? i'm no fan of kerr, but...staunton?? wtf

is steve staunton really the new ireland manager?!! because when u actually think about it, its bleedin shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    This is a little bit different as none of those players have come even close to making the immediate impact that Doyle has. Obviously he'll have to continue it over a longer period of time before he'll have proven himself to everyone but I'm confident he can do it. He's not going to be top scorer in the Premiership next season but hopefully he'll get a couple of top-flight campaigns behind him and bolt down a regular place in the Irish squad.
    Well Miller did, and Healy was also very highly rated when he started out getting games.

I'm not saying Doyle will be a flop or a star. I hope he is the latter. But people make it out as if he has already made it, and proved all he has to do. The reality of it is, he still has tonnes to prove.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Heres how I see it:

Celtic
    >
    Rangers
    >
    Hearts
    > Cork
    Hibernian
    > Derry
    Kilmarnock
    > Shelbourne
    Aberdeen
    > Bohemians
    Motherwell
    > Drogheda
    Inverness CT ---> Longford
    Dundee Utd ----> St.Pats
    Falkirk
    >
    Livingston
    >
    Dunfermeline --->
    > Waterford
    > Bray
    > Sligo
    > UCD
    > Dublin City

Thats a really rough sketch of my views on the SPL-v-eL debate, I'm sure lots of people will disagree, I'll probably disagree myself in the morning when I'm not so tired! Honestly didn't consciously try to offend anyone, so go easy on me!

Anyway its way off-topic...
    So we are in agreement, the SPL is an overall better place to be than the EL.

Well Miller did, and Healy was also very highly rated when he started out getting games.

I'm not saying Doyle will be a flop or a star. I hope he is the latter. But people make it out as if he has already made it, and proved all he has to do. The reality of it is, he still has tonnes to prove.

I still think he is far more deserving of a place in the starting line-up for the next friendly than Clinton Morrison. Anyone agree/disagree?
    So we are in agreement, the SPL is an overall better place to be than the EL.

If it was at the start of a season maybe (edit - probably!), but as far as Weso's move has panned out I'm not convinced. He may get four or five full games against the "big three" (no offence to Hibs!) at the most, and at the end of the season Livingston will almost certainly be there or thereabouts in the relegation battle. Its hard to argue which really is a "better place" to be, as its pretty much a subjective perspective. Bottom of the SPL and top of the EL are similar in that they aren't exactly going to attract the likes of Steve Staunton and Bobby Robson too often.

Overall, the SPL is certainly a bigger league than the eL, anyone who will argue that with you is not worth arguing with.

Anyway I'm sorry for taking this off-topic, basically I'd like to see Wes in an Ireland squad sometime soon regardless of who he is playing for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Healy had just broken into the Irish setup, was playing some very good football and then some fecker from coventry tore into him with a horror tackle which has left him on the sidelines for a heck of a long time now. He was working on living up to his potential definately imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I still think he is far more deserving of a place in the starting line-up for the next friendly than Clinton Morrison. Anyone agree/disagree?

i fully expect stan to play a bizare formation of 2-1-2-3-1-1 so Doyles chances of been the sweeper in that team is quite possible with the Doc leading the line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree with the OP that there is some very promising talent out there at the moment but as has happened before these players may ot live up to that potential. One thing I am delighted about is if those players make the grade its pretty much the backbone of a good side.

Out of that bunch I think Paul McShane is the most likely to make it. Top quality player, and one Leeds have to try and beat today.

So the future isnt all doom and gloom but its not bright either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All well and good having young irish players with possibilities but whether they ever play or fulfil their potential is another stroy. We have a manager who hasnt managed before wow even less exp than Kerr :rolleyes: And a geriatric who has L and R on his shoes.

So i reckon any half decent journeyman Div 1 player who can find ireland on a map will play for us.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

**Removes noose from around neck**

Good post seanah, thanks for that...things are starting to look up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

A lot of hype there to be honest, a lot of these players still have stacks and stacks to prove, the likes of Doyle included.

Doyle has been a top player for the last two seasons. You probably have just not seen him play that much.

Doyle and Keane up front looks good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just to add a few more.

Paddy McCarthy captained Leicester against Spurs last week so he's obviously highly rated.
    Owen Garvan is only 17 and established himself as a regular in the Ipswich midfield before injury. Very highly rated and already being linked with Premiership clubs. He was the best player in the team that won the FA youth cup last season and that team included 4 other Irish players. Goalkeeper Shane Supple is one and he has started the last few games for Ipswich. Billy Clarke also got 1 or 2 starts this season. Garvan is a player I'm really keeping an eye on though.
    Marcos Painter broke into the Birmingham team this season.
    Luton's Kevin Foley is being linked with a premiership club (can't remember which).
    19 year old Andy Keogh scored his 12th goal for Scunthorpe today. He's playing in a league below Kevin Doyle but he's also in a bottom half team and is 3 years younger.

Other young players breaking into their clubs first team include Chris McCann of Burnley, Sean Thornton's brother Kevin of Coventry, Alan Quinn's brother Stephen and Mark Yeates is getting rave reviews at Colchester. I'm sure there's even more we've left out.

There is a load of youngsters breaking through from League 1 to the Championship as you say, more than ever before. I think its better for Ireland a player breaking through earlier by playing for a lower club as if they're good enough they'll catch the eye at any level. I'd certainly prefer the likes of McCarthy and Whelan captaining a Championship club rather than on the fringes of a premiership club like Stephen Kelly.

Advertisement